Ideal outfit

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ideal outfit

Post by STEVIE »

Midas wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:18 pm https://fhwt.app.link/tQoUXISGWvb

This is a dress I bought recently. I have tried it on but not yet worn it. It calls for a special occasion.
Love to see it Midas, but which one?
Next has rather a lot to choose from.
Steve.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Stevie

Whin I click the link it goes to the right dress, which is the White Stuff green Elisa midi dress.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I found it but the link just took me to Next.
Nice, it has the look of a kaftan, comfortable and easy.
I'd earmark that for warmer days though unless you wear some serious layering. Add a scarf too, lots of colour to pick up on..
Yeah, a special occasion would be good.
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Midas wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:13 pm Stevie

Whin I click the link it goes to the right dress, which is the White Stuff green Elisa midi dress.
https://xcdn.next.co.uk/common/items/de ... ,width=364
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:26 pm

The picture reminds me of the strange fashion for women to wear an assortment of heavy chunky-soles boots with the most elegant of dresses. How is that any more “normal” or less shocking than a man in a skirt?
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

greenboots wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:52 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:26 pm

The picture reminds me of the strange fashion for women to wear an assortment of heavy chunky-soles boots with the most elegant of dresses. How is that any more “normal” or less shocking than a man in a skirt?
Fashion means different things to different people. What might look strange to you or me is the ultimate in style to someone else, including the women who prefers such ensembles.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:42 am What might look strange to you or me is the ultimate in style to someone else,
Absolutely Geoff.
Here is one of my aspirations which I doubt many people would view as less than strange.
Sadly, cost factors put it out of reach. In velvet, around £1200 for jacket, waistcoat and skirt.
The second is what I actually wore at work on Friday, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ideal outfit, no, strange, no idea and don't rightly care.
I don't do "normal", that is too easy.
Steve.
expensive.jpg
20221223_164242[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:42 am
greenboots wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:52 am
Fashion means different things to different people. What might look strange to you or me is the ultimate in style to someone else, including the women who prefers such ensembles.
I was thinking more in terms of “men can’t wear skirts” but the “uniform” for women includes chunky soled boots that would originally have been only for men - though now much adapted.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:57 pm
The second is what I actually wore at work on Friday, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ideal outfit, no, strange, no idea and don't rightly care.
I don't do "normal", that is too easy.
Steve.expensive.jpg20221223_164242[1].jpg
I once saw a really elegant tweed suit matched with purple turtleneck and matching tights with brown boots int the window of a countrywear store in Melrose. I would happily have worn it but the price was too high (and it would definitely have received a hostile reaction at home).
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I am on my own for Christmas. It is not a sob story - I have people I love and who love me - they are just a long way away this weekend. I cooked a fabulous meal and wore one of several dresses I own that cost around £200 and dined by candle-light with a glass or three of Gavi and some Scottish music - traditionally based but with modern chord progressions and more than a hint of jazz. The dress was a sort of chartreuse with balloon sleeves and was made by Marella. No make up or wig, but nude sheer tights and nude leather court shoes. I last wore trousers early yesterday afternoon and have plans to avoid them entirely for the next 3-4 days. So I have enjoyed my Christmas and the ideal outfit played its part in this. A Merry Christmas to all my readers.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:36 pm I am on my own for Christmas. It is not a sob story - I have people I love and who love me - they are just a long way away this weekend. I cooked a fabulous meal and wore one of several dresses I own that cost around £200 and dined by candle-light with a glass or three of Gavi and some Scottish music - traditionally based but with modern chord progressions and more than a hint of jazz. The dress was a sort of chartreuse with balloon sleeves and was made by Marella. No make up or wig, but nude sheer tights and nude leather court shoes. I last wore trousers early yesterday afternoon and have plans to avoid them entirely for the next 3-4 days. So I have enjoyed my Christmas and the ideal outfit played its part in this. A Merry Christmas to all my readers.
That sounds quite lovely, I must say. I love Scottish music. I love almost all kinds of music. Thank you for sharing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:36 pm A Merry Christmas to all my readers.
And to you Rivegauche.
Please tell us where to gain access to your works.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 am
rivegauche wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:36 pm A Merry Christmas to all my readers.
And to you Rivegauche.
Please tell us where to gain access to your works.
Steve.
My works? The last line of greeting in the post was just an expression - like many things on this site - not to be taken literally. As it happens I do write but not about clothes - with one exception. I have written chapter of a book on clothes and image that is coming out early next year, and will be privately published in your part of the world! The book is by a style consultant and psychologist. The chapter is on my experience getting professionally styled as a woman and how this has affected my life. Though I only do the whole make up and wig thing when presenting as a woman in public - once every 2-3 months, usually with a woman friend - I wear dresses most of the time and get a constant stream of dopamines from this - the consultant calls this dopamine dressing though she is usually applying the expression to women and their clothes. I am the only man she has styled as a woman though the company she works through (it is a franchise) gets occasional male customers who want female styling. For the record I have also been styled as a male. This styling is a truly transformational experience and completely alters your relationship with clothes - I am surprised more skirt/dress wearing men don't do it. You get told what colours and styles work best for you - even down to materials and finish. For example I was told that I should wear short (21") or long (35-36") skirts and nothing in between, and to avoid black. This is guidance, not instruction. It is expensive, but for me it was worth every penny.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Ralph wrote:
...labels such as "non-binary" and "genderfluid" ... "gender nonconforming"
I don't remember who used the phrase "gender-stereotype nonconforming", but that's the one I like. Or maybe "gender-conventions nonconforming". The 'gendering' of garments is after all culturally determined.
As to the ideal outfit, I would quite like a skirt suit in a classic wool-blend, perhaps a pinstripe, jacket a little shorter than the typical male cut. Pretty conservative, I guess.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

KenCT wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:09 am As to the ideal outfit, I would quite like a skirt suit in a classic wool-blend, perhaps a pinstripe, jacket a little shorter than the typical male cut. Pretty conservative, I guess.
Even easier, forget the labels and "suit" yourself as described above KenCT.
Nothing wrong with c conservative either, just another label.
Steve.