Make up for men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Make up for men

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Just spotted this while checking out the Harry Styles link.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/bc/tom-da ... mel-london
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Make up for men

Post by STEVIE »

And why not?
When I was still in the TV phase I tried various cosmetics, but it never worked.
Nowadays it would need too much polyfilla to even out the bumps so not for me.
I have no idea about dermatology, is male skin so radically different to female that it needs specific formulation?
Do we have another price hike for a product that is essentially just rebranded to make it more man "friendly"
One for the younger folk methinks.
Steve
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Maby it's just a me thing.

But I never cared for make on girls, women.
Most over do it.
I certainly am not going to care for it on guys.

I've seen far too many lovely young women trying to find their makeup look, often over doing it with outlandish results. Clownish, racoonish. More often over done than just enough.

I can see using makeup to cover a scar or something like that. If a person really feels so inclined.
But most women don't need it.

And guys certainly don't. Men in Make up? What's this world coming to?

So make up for men is a hard no from me.
I'll take the 1peter 3 :3-4 stance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:08 pm Maby it's just a me thing.

But I never cared for make on girls, women.
Most over do it.
I certainly am not going to care for it on guys.

I've seen far too many lovely young women trying to find their makeup look, often over doing it with outlandish results. Clownish, racoonish. More often over done than just enough.

I can see using makeup to cover a scar or something like that. If a person really feels so inclined.
But most women don't need it.

And guys certainly don't. Men in Make up? What's this world coming to?

So make up for men is a hard no from me.
I'll take the 1peter 3 :3-4 stance.
To each their own. Live and let live. I’m not a huge makeup fan myself on women and can’t see myself trying it out but if others are interested, great!

That’s a great quote though. I’m sure there will be those so vehemently opposed to anything that comes from the Bible to realize it but stating beauty and worth comes from within is golden. I look at all the older Hollywood starlets who now have so much plastic surgery that they can’t not smile and just recoil in horror. It’s so fake looking and unnatural to me. But if they’re happy, ok.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I always gone for the natural look in women. My wife has good skin and doesn't need makeup. Doesn't really use it. My daughter is a massive fan of eyemakeup, lipstick and nail polish. She is developing a good look. I had a girlfriend years ago who looked like a corpse without it (it didn't last).
The 80s new romantics wore loads and noone minded.
I get the pink stuff from aldi:
https://www.savers.co.uk/Household/Clea ... 8f31a86988

Even my Mrs uses it. It's like soap with sand in it. That's as close I get to makeup.

I haven't worked out why these things suit some but not others. I think men look really bad in short skirts for instance.

In other news Neptune, my daughter has done loads of jobs for me and today was the big spend in Brighton. She in a ankle length durndel skirt me in a below knee Indian silk skirt, white shirt and navy v neck.

I thought approval ratings were up but nep says I got some disapproval. I did not see any other MIS. No matter we had a great day. I said I wonder how many men look and wish they had the courage to wear a skirt. Probably loads she said.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

For me it's about practicality/need - and it seems like a significant waste of time to have to use makeup, not to mention the stuff looks slimy/yucky/smelly and I don't value the artificiality of it. The only thing I've tried is nail polish, but it feels too "hey pay attention to me" and is a maintenance burden unto itself, though slightly less of a hassle.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I agree with you, mishawakaskirt. Good quote!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"Beauty, really is in the eye of the beholder"!
Nice quote, poetic even.
However, as we already know with the "right" interpretation, Biblical passages can and will be used to justify any manner of things.
Taken literally, this one is just a little short of damning all users of any cosmetics to Hell.
For instance, dentistry for purely aesthetic reasons, is that included?
Like skirts and dresses, male or female, make-up and cosmetics have no gender exclusivity and is no indicator of anything at all.
Similarly, if you wish to see the general attitude change, dare I say, just do it!
I actually would if it was to my personal taste and lack of external approval would not stop me for a moment.
Been there, done that and will never wear that particular hairshirt ever again.
Without a massive trawl, have any pics ever appeared of a patron so adorned?
We did have Ron, who had the tattoos on his face, where does that come in those terms?
Life is too short, just be yourself!
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Barleymower, I would disagree with you about men not looking good in a short skirt. There are several here that wear them well, myself included, and even my wife says that I look good in them, with good legs, though she doesn't like me wearing any skirt outside. You are entitled to your opinions but not everyone would agree with them. Neither my wife or I wear makeup.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Sinned wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:38 pm Barleymower, I would disagree with you about men not looking good in a short skirt. There are several here that wear them well, myself included, and even my wife says that I look good in them, with good legs, though she doesn't like me wearing any skirt outside. You are entitled to your opinions but not everyone would agree with them. Neither my wife or I wear makeup.
“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” meets “one’s opinions are never wrong”
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

“Do what you want with your skin. You may end up looking better. You may not. Do it for yourself: not for others. And smile!”

Ray 6.6.6 😈 😉
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I have facial scars. I use concealer to soften/minimise their appearance. Sometimes, I use a touch of foundation on top of the concealer for added measure.

I prefer stealthy tinted moisturiser for covering my face rather than foundation. It has a more natural look - and is becoming an acceptable/commonplace Men’s option to buy. It’s also a good sunscreen option during warmer months.

During Winter months, rather than using chapstick for my chapped lips I will use stealthy nude moisturising lipstick.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I suppose that I have to admit to using a moisturiser on my face at times to combat some dryness but I don't consider it to be a cosmetic.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Like clothes, each to their own. I think some women look stunning with skilfully applied make-up, while those who go OTT with contouring can look awful. I know a woman who is striking without make-up but extremely beautiful when made up. I don't like the stuff on me and only wear it when going out in public presenting as a woman. If you have a beard shadow no amount of shaving can hide it - you need foundation to disguise it. This can be overdone so the trick is to use enough to hide the shadow without caking your face in the stuff.
I have had professional tuition in clothing and make-up from style consultants but though the complexion and lips look good I still can't do eyes. The only make-up I wear at home is occasional lipstick and nail varnish. I am not sure it is completely true that make-up is gender neutral. Some make up around the eyes and the use of red lipstick mimics female sexual arousal - blood flow to the lips and enlargement of the pupils. I confess I don't know if there are similar reactions in the male. People who wear make-up can have all sorts of fun with it - just like you can with a skirt or dress-based outfit.