Legs on TV

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Uncle Al

Re: Legs on TV

Post by Uncle Al »

What ever happens, DON'T WEAR GREEN CLOTHING ON TV :!:

Blooper City > > > >
Oops! Anchor Saves Meteorologist From Green Screen Mishap
News blooper - news anchor Jessica Holmes' green screen dress
Why You Can't Wear Green On The Green Screen

Have fun and a non-green day :) (in case you're caught on 'camera' ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Another angle to this is that shorts on guys are viewed as entirely casual and therefore inappropriate as on-screen attire. On the other hand, sharp-looking skirts are viewed as "dressy" and thus appropriate. So shorts likely aren't the avenue forward, but rather something sharp-looking in a knee-length look with appropriate socks and shoes.

Not that male wethercaster is going to have the stones for actually doing that ant time soon. Prove me wrong, and I'll be happy.

On green-screen gaffes, I still recall one woman weathercaster who had a decent-sized reflective buckle on her dress -- and that picked up the green-room surroundings and the chroma-keying circuitry did the rest. She had a rectangular part of her that was "transparent".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Not that male wethercaster is going to have the stones for actually doing that ant time soon. Prove me wrong, and I'll be happy

A very long time ago, a major tv station used to broadcast the noon news from a corner mall store front. Floor to ceiling Glass made up 2 of the 4 walls.
After the news was done, you could go in and pretend to be a news anchor, and they'd cut a dvd for you. One day I got all dressed up and did my "audition" I had them print out the scrip, because I couldn't see the teleprompter. I still watch it every now and then. People are walking back and forth behind the camera in the mall. Some stopped to watch.

Reading this thread, maybe i missed my calling? If I could hired today, I'd definitely be wearing skirts and dresses
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ralph wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:48 pm A better question is, why is she allowed to show her legs and he is not?
I think we all know the answer to this question.

So many heads would explode you'd think the Russians detonated the tsar bomba!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

On the subject of male weather fashion I have just two words: Michael Fish 🐠 (look him up on your favourite search engine).

On second thoughts, there’s also Owain (can’t remember his surname)

Sadly, no skirts.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:32 am Back in the day I used to watch the Sky News weather every day in the hope of seeing Lucy Verasamy wearing a tight skirt and high heels. It didn’t matter what the weather forecast was, the sun always shone when she was on weather duty! Then she moved onto weather forecasting on breakfast TV and that was the last I saw of her
Female weather forecasters on BBC generally wear skirts or dresses, but you don't often see much from below the abdomen or tops of thigh to see they are skirted, only one Hogmanay did I see a male presenter in a kilt, to the point of seeing his sporran at the front. But most of the female presenters on BBC Breakfast sit on the sofa in modest skirts or dresses, where their male colleague is sat in such a way to show off their junk or attempt to cover their crotch with their suit jacket or tie :oops:

I assume 6 in the morning when hearing the latest dire financial or political stories, most won't be worried to keep up with the prrsenter's fashion...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

greenboots wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:42 am On the subject of male weather fashion I have just two words: Michael Fish 🐠 (look him up on your favourite search engine).
Sadly, no skirts.
Being of similar vintage Greenboots, I remember him too but look at what I found thanks to Pinterest.
Photo from the 60s and if that isn't a skirt, what is it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:00 amPhoto from the 60s and if that isn't a skirt, what is it?
The 1960s were sometimes a bit more freewheeling than we recall, and so were the 1970s. Thus, when I speak of "backward motion" when it comes to fashion, civilisation, and just plain hope it is for a reason. We've regressed very, very badly from those hopeful and forward-looking times. It's like somebody wound the clock back to a twisted version of the 40s or the 50s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

By the 1980s this is what he was really famous for.
Oh, and more dramatically assuring the whole country that a hurricane was not going to happen.
The Weather Gods didn't get his memo, oops.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Although Ml. Fish reported on it, he was merely transmitting weather information gathered by others, which turned out to be so inaccurate that no warning of the coming hurricane that overtook the Fastnet Race fleet was given.

Some 15 competing sailors were lost at sea during that fateful event in 1979, the greatest loss in any sailing race ever.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Brad, I guess she shows her legs by wearing a dress because she has nice legs, feels confident and well, because she wants to.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 pm Although Ml. Fish reported on it, he was merely transmitting weather information gathered by others, which turned out to be so inaccurate that no warning of the coming hurricane that overtook the Fastnet Race fleet was given.

Some 15 competing sailors were lost at sea during that fateful event in 1979, the greatest loss in any sailing race ever.

Tom
From recollection, the weather event Michael Fish supposedly got wrong took place in 1987. The 1979 Fastnet Race was devestated by a storm where predicted wind speeds were Force 6 to 7 but ended up being Force 10 to 11. A real tragedy.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:00 am
greenboots wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:42 am On the subject of male weather fashion I have just two words: Michael Fish 🐠 (look him up on your favourite search engine).
Sadly, no skirts.
Being of similar vintage Greenboots, I remember him too but look at what I found thanks to Pinterest.
Photo from the 60s and if that isn't a skirt, what is it?
Appears to be more of a kilt - note the inner apron flap resting between the legs and then the outer apron flap taut across the top of the legs.
He is wearing over the calf (kilt) sox and the footwear has a B-I-G buckle. Some kind of dance or performance costume ?
The waist is hidden from view
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !