What feminine items do you wear?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What feminine items do you wear?

Post by phathack »

I guess technically everything I wear is a feminine item since everything I wear daily is in a womens size.
Well there is a random Polo shirt that's in a mens size but I tend to not wear those that often.

Before I quite working in 2019 and was wearing a polo shirt, womens jeans and boots with a 2" heel to work.

My 62nd birthday is cumming up and I'm going out to dinner with friends and I have a nice Burgundy color Cocktail Dress dress I'll be wearing that night.

Am I cross dressing, my male pattern baldness and beard would say no.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

phathack wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:17 am Am I cross dressing, my male pattern baldness and beard would say no.
Hmmm, you had best listen the vocal follicles then Phatback, rather seems like good advice to me.
You may also wish to start making good use of their unique talents, make a fortune with an Agony Uncle type show on TV.
I was wearing a red dress yesterday at work and it drew several compliments. Ironically, I had pegged it as a failure but just decided to give it a final go.
One never can tell.
Steve.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

To my eyes, almost nothing I wear is 'feminine', although I shop both aisles. Most of my skirts are solid-color or simple patterns like stripes. I have two pairs of (flat) slide sandals and a pair of flats bought in women's sizes - I like the lighter construction, and the flats don't ride up and down on feet at the heel, as do my men's slip-ons (I have narrow heels, apparently). I have a few tops bought in the women's section, and I expect I'll be buying more, because I don't like the feel of crewnecks, about the only choice in pullover styles for men. There is so much more choice in tops for women - bateau or boatneck, jewel, round are my preference. Again, solid colors, but choices are much broader than for men's; more choice in fabrics, too. Mostly at present I wear a lot of men's-store polos.
I have carried a purse for years (just one, black cloth); I can carry more stuff than in pockets: cellphone and powerpack, wallet and checkbook, band-aids and antibiotic ointment for the grandchildren's boo-boos, lots of tissues for runny noses, hand sanitizer, penknife, flashlight. So practical, and no emptying pockets every night and refilling the next morning.
I have a few bracelets, chains and cuffs; one was sold as a men's accessory, the others women's, including several on permanent loan from my wife. To me this all is or should just be considered unisex. My beard and mustache definitely aren't :)
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

KenCT wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:46 pm I have carried a purse for years (just one, black cloth); I can carry more stuff than in pockets: cellphone and powerpack, wallet and checkbook, band-aids ...
I'm interested to see the checkbook included as an everyday item. In the UK, and probably much of Western Europe, cheque books are almost an extinct species. I last wrote a cheque in 2018, and the one before that was in 2015. A contactless card and mobile phone for electronic payments are far more compatible with the pockets of my lightweight Purple Rain skirts, which for me are the best means of coping with our current heat wave.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

geron wrote:
In the UK, and probably much of Western Europe, cheque books are almost an extinct species.
True, I rarely write checks, and am usually at home when I do, I guess it's just an old habit. But I carry very little cash, and once in a while write a check to pay another person - I'm sure I could do that by smartphone, but it doesn't happen often enough to bother learning how.
I pay Federal, state and town taxes by check because some add a charge for processing a card or electronic payment, and it takes them longer to process the check and take my money :)
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

I have now only Womens shoes and boots ,socks, tights ,stockings ,bras and panties ,skirts and trousers , I still have some mens tops , Jackets and one pair of mens jeans left ,but I wear womens tops and will not be buying anymore mens clothes .
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Well, I reject the presupposition that many clothes are feminine, but for sake of responding, many of my shirts are buttoned on the left, many of my pants and all of my underpants (both I wear rarely) were originally marketed to females, and I consider my sandals unisex. When I wear underwear with skirts, it's a slip. In cold weather, I sometimes wear long socks or stockings (some of which may be called "feminine"), so I may wear a garter. When I wear something to bed, it will be a nightgown originally marketed to women. Shoes are traditional male (I think). I don't wear jewelry or bras. The only thing obvious I wear in public is skirts, a rare dress, and a few of the shirts. I occasionally get gendered as a woman from the back, but then usually an unneeded apology when folks see my full beard.
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Not really interested in the "do clothes have a gender" debate.

I bought them in the women's section because they haven't got them in the men's. That's not the clothes fault, that's the store's fault.

Anyway...

I have what's called peripheral neuropathy, a complication of my type 2 diabetes. In my case it manifests as a seriously painful texture aversion in my legs where if something isn't skin tight our barely touching, it feels like I'm wearing sandpaper.

This has been going on for a few years now. I tried carrying on with my "men's" legwear along with strong painkillers but it was a horrible way to live my life. I tried leggings at the suggestion of my OH and got instant relief! Never looked back. I've been wearing leggings ever since, with occasional forays into jeggings, those skinny ripped jeans that everyone's got now and cycling shorts. Skirts are great because of the minimal skin contact so they're also in my usual rotation.

The soles of my feet are also affected by the neuropathy which makes it insanely difficult to find comfy footwear. I keep trying to wear trainers but after a couple of days they cripple me. The only consistently comfy footwear I own at the moment are knee high platform sole boots. No heels although I can walk in heels. I think the solidity of the platform sole makes them more bearable for my very sensitive feet. I'm looking at buying some platform trainers or at least ankle boots to test the theory.

Just to say I'm not just wearing "women's" clothes for necessity, they make me feel better medically, yes, but also I bloody love them.
Nunquam scienter normalis
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

My MS also manifests in peripheral neuropathy - with the same physical experience as yours.

Wearing Support Tights is the only remedy to alleviate the symptoms (just make sure you shave your legs first, though).
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

I enjoy wearing tights but for the neuropathy they're a last resort in the dead of night when painkillers haven't worked and I'm sat there unable to sleep scratching my legs to shreds because every nerve endings is itching simultaneously.

I've worn tights out in public under my kilt with knee boots so only an inch or so of tights is visible.

As with every other foray into the wild with "women's" garments, nobody said a word.
Nunquam scienter normalis
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

When they are in stock, I buy/wear M&S Support Knee Highs for when I wear Leggings or Treggings (for some reason, I don’t like wearing Jeggings as they don’t feel right for me).

Even so, M&S Knee Highs are one size - which I wear/sleep in during colder nights (but they can sometimes wake me with ‘bunched up’ feet). Unfortunately, they are more prone to laddering compared to Tights. If not available, those from Boots are my substitute.

I’m slim build, 5’ 10’, with size 9 shoe fit. On that basis, XL sized Support Tights from M&S, or better still, from John Lewis is my preference.

BTW, although quite expensive, Wolford sell several types of Support Leggings.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I’ve increasingly noticed that some older - often overweight - men have ‘man boobs’. Medically, this is known as gynaecomastia.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... ecomastia/

Maybe such Men would benefit from non medical intervention by wearing a Bra to compress their breasts - such as a Sports Bra.

It certainly would improve such Men’s overall appearance.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

jamodu wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:28 am I’ve increasingly noticed that some older - often overweight - men have ‘man boobs’. Medically, this is known as gynaecomastia.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... ecomastia/

Maybe such Men would benefit from non medical intervention by wearing a Bra to compress their breasts - such as a Sports Bra.

It certainly would improve such Men’s overall appearance.
I have gynaecomastia and wear a bra so my nipples don't poke through my shirts. Since retiring I have taken to dressing more comfortably and now almost all of the clothing I wear comes from the plus-sized women's department.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

lithaborn wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:29 am Not really interested in the "do clothes have a gender" debate.

I bought them in the women's section because they haven't got them in the men's. That's not the clothes fault, that's the store's fault.

Anyway...

I have what's called peripheral neuropathy, a complication of my type 2 diabetes. In my case it manifests as a seriously painful texture aversion in my legs where if something isn't skin tight our barely touching, it feels like I'm wearing sandpaper.

This has been going on for a few years now. I tried carrying on with my "men's" legwear along with strong painkillers but it was a horrible way to live my life. I tried leggings at the suggestion of my OH and got instant relief! Never looked back. I've been wearing leggings ever since, with occasional forays into jeggings, those skinny ripped jeans that everyone's got now and cycling shorts. Skirts are great because of the minimal skin contact so they're also in my usual rotation.

The soles of my feet are also affected by the neuropathy which makes it insanely difficult to find comfy footwear. I keep trying to wear trainers but after a couple of days they cripple me. The only consistently comfy footwear I own at the moment are knee high platform sole boots. No heels although I can walk in heels. I think the solidity of the platform sole makes them more bearable for my very sensitive feet. I'm looking at buying some platform trainers or at least ankle boots to test the theory.

Just to say I'm not just wearing "women's" clothes for necessity, they make me feel better medically, yes, but also I bloody love them.
I can relate to the neuropathy in your legs Mine started after having tumors removed from my cauda equina. I feel the same irritation on my buttocks and legs that you do. It feels like a bad case of sunburn on my lower half. Denim is especially aggravating!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

So far my diabetes doesn't seem to have given me any neuropathy in the legs or feet, my hands, yes, a definite bit of numbness in the fingers which is not helping me with handling small objects and I am seriously thinking about giving up with my amateur guitar playing, always found the numbness of hardened fingers a bit of a problem, now they are partially numb anyway, guitaring isn't going to help them at all! Best of luck with your neuropathy, at least it is a great excuse for getting comfortable, if you ever need one!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!