What feminine items do you wear?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What feminine items do you wear?

Post by Big and Bashful »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:42 am I agree with your comment regarding making clothing for different body shapes. What I worry about is that if skirts for men ever really catch on in the fashion world, the fashion designers will give us skirts in boring drab colors of black, brown, gray, and navy blue in attempt to masculinize the skirt. The point that I am trying to make is that there is nothing wrong with women's skirts they way that they are! I love the color and pattern options and don't want a masculinized version in drab colors. If that happens, then we are back in the same rut that men's fashion has been stuck in for the past 150 years.

Just give use female style skirts in existing lengths, colors and patterns that women currently wear but offer them in more sizes to fit a male body. Don't try to masculinize the skirt! Just give us the sizes that we want in all of the colors and options that the women currently have. Yes a skirt with pink flowers is feminine, but there is nothing wrong with feminine and I happen to like those types of skirts.
I am afraid that colour and patterns put me off garments, probably because I am tall and fairly heavily built. Just being me I stand out in most crowds and being clad in loud colours would just make me stand out even more, I am still not comfortable with that. I have managed to become fairly comfortable in a skirt as long as it fits my own personal drab colour scheme. I do like to wear T shirts with slogans on the front but that is as extrovert as I can force myself to be. I like dark blues, blacks, greys and a spot of khaki. The only real exception to that is my kilts, which are both hunting (mostly green) tartan, red tartans look great but are a bit "loud" for me. As for floral dresses and mini skirts? that is not going to happen, not for me anyway!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Freedomforall wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:56 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:49 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:37 pm The person seemed to contradict themselves quite a bit. He said," Just because I am hyper-masculine, does not mean that I support it."
So if I understand correctly, you condemned what you did not like and then decided to adopt the behavior, but you do not support it. Not confusing at all.
I didn't hear that at all. He said he is transmasculine, not hypermasculine; explicitly distances himself from homophobia, misogyny, toxic masculinity, and hypermasculinity (5:23); and (maybe this is the bit you misinterpreted) that just because he expresses himself as masculine (i.e. identifies as a man) that doesn't mean that he is hypermasculine (6:43) or supports the things that go with it. In fact, as a female-born man, he has some of the same issues with masculinity and its conflation with hypermasculinity as do us male-born non-alpha males who hate being stereotyped as hairy muscular people who are into sport, cars, beer, and exaggerated heterosexuality.
It is towards the end of the video. My wife and I both heard it and I played it back to make sure I heard correctly. We both looked at each other and thought how contradictory it was.
Perhaps you could give a time stamp as MB has thoughtfully done. It would be particularly useful for me as I have watched this more than once and not heard this myself and it doesn't seem to fit the overall message that I get from the video, for instance, having previously talked about his fear of masculinity growing up (6:40) Cal says "just because I express myself in a certain way doesn't mean I am hyper-masculinity and it doesn't mean that I support homophobia or misogyny". In other words, you can be masculine without adopting the stereotypical negative behaviours.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:10 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:51 am I bought my first patterned skirt, but I haven't worn it out of the house yet.
Emmm, that does fit the description of a kilt.
However, I presume you mean a rather different type of pattern.
Yeah, when I first considered branching out, one of my ideas was to look for skirts that have the same general profile as a kilt, but in a patterned material. But this is the first time I've found a pattern I like.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Time to get my hearing aids fixed. I heard something incorrectly. My apologies.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:51 am
rode_kater wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:49 am these days even men are getting t-shirts with bold colours and patterns, it just hasn't really happened for the bottom half yet (though it's getting there).
I bought my first patterned skirt, but I haven't worn it out of the house yet.
I bought a floral pencil skirt to go with some blue pumps, and baby blue stockings. My unmentionables are all feminine, but we don't discuss those here :oops:

Tartan pencil skirts can be mistaken for kilts if in a common tartan like Black Watch :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:32 amIn other words, you can be masculine without adopting the stereotypical negative behaviours.
Correct. Compounding matters, and making them exponentially worse for guys, "toxic masculinity" has been very deliberately been made the "normal" view instead of it being a fringe matter. It's perfectly possible to be fully masculine and not be macho -- and I view that as a good thing because machismo is poisonous.

Note that being masculine in no way excludes some behaviours typically considered feminine -- those of us who are healthy and mentally stable need a blend in order to keep our keels pointed downward and the rudders in the water.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would be easier to say what I don't wear. Mainly dresses, not that I have much fear of wearing them, I just find it difficult finding even a reasonable fit for my physique. Just about anything else is open season and I even have some surprising approvals from my wife. Some days everything I wear is from the other side of the aisle ( TOSOTA ).
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In reference to the "spectrum" mentioned by crfriend.....

I noticed a young man-working in a grocery store-who was wearing dark blue nail polish. Not my particular interest, but perhaps this is his particular interest? For him a means of self expression, which was traditionally reserved for females? But nobody else seemed to mind, or even notice.

Maybe this change is relatively easy for others to accept, because it is quite modest (compared to MIS).
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

pretty much anything and everything is normal for me.

skirts/dresses/lingerie/hosiery/heels/handbags/jewellery/cosmetics/beauty treatments eg Tanning/Gel Nails.

NZF
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

I do like a nice dress, even in brighter colours tho I prefer navy. Nicely lined and with some 'female' embellishment is fine by me. I really like the idea of tights but rarely wear them. But the cool feeling of pantyhose against a lined skirt is nice. I sometimes borrow my wife's shoes as we have exactly the same shoe size.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Could we not just sum all this up by wearing the "cap" that fits?
In the final analysis, we only have ourselves to please unless WE choose differently.
Be comfortable, be brave and above all have fun!
Tomorrow, who the hell knows right now?
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Beyond clothing, footwear and accessories (outerwear and purses)? Earrings, necklaces and bracelets.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:17 pm My normal mode of presentation (go anywhere, do anything) is as a feminine male. It is so nice, relaxing, and liberating to be able to be myself all of the time.

What other feminine items in addition to skirts do you always wear?
Skimming through the responses and all I can say is, all these buzz words... "masculine" "feminine", "gender", "trans-_____", all they seem to do is get people arguing. Everybody's got their little hill staked out, everyone's got it all figured out.

Anyway, I know where you're coming from regarding being a "feminine male". I consider myself that too. Does it make me trans? Hell, I don't know. I don't make those rules, I just am what I am.

Jenn joked with me today when she remarked that the housekeepers serviced our motel room while we were out, she said "I bet they think there are two women living here", I joked back "nope... just you and a guy with a girly heart".

I ain't got no hangups about it. It is what it is.

As for "feminine stuff", well I'm not really a "cosmopolitan" kinda "girl" [0]. I'm probably modeled more after the rugged "Appalachian women". Most of my skirts and such are not very dainty, and I often partake in other feminine traditional gender roles around the house, such as general homemaking, canning, gardening, etc. But sometimes I still like to gussy myself up with pretty nail polish and such. But much like my Appalachian sisters, we don't care for being teased in public, so we keep it sensible.

I don't know if there is an afterlife or not, but if there is, I've heard that we shed our mortal bodies. I hope if that's the case, I can fully embrace the femininity of my spirit without everyone making a [sometimes literal] federal case about it. As for my situation now... I am but a poor wayfaring stranger, travelin' through this world of woe.... I just do the best I can while I'm here.

[0] Calm down guys, it's just a joke...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:45 am ............. I just am what I am.
This is how we all should think about ourselves and respect others for being so.
Just ask for someone's first name and you will know how to call them.

If I wear something, it is not feminine, masculine, GMC or AOA; It is just items of my choice corresponding with my own style for the moment. Some people might consider some things I wear as feminine, which is their perogative, as they might also think that Trump was a good President, so why should I care.
Do we apply such gender associations with the other basic needs, food and shelter, as we do with clothing?
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 am Do we apply such gender associations with the other basic needs, food and shelter, as we do with clothing?
Gender has played a big part of human culture and tradition ever since we've been civilized. Viewing items as masculine or feminine, and the spectrum is very complex. It plays a major part of many religions, and has been so for millenia.

Suffice to say, I don't think genderfication of clothing is going away any time soon, that would be tossing away a good ten thousand years of cultural discipline.

Like it or not, masculinity and femininity is a part of every one of us, and I believe one of the core concepts of our humanity. It's a big part of what makes us who we are as a species... why else would virtually everyone get so worked up over it?

We all have a bit of both in us, a little salt and a little sugar. Too much of either throws things out of balance and causes problems.

Right now masculinity is ruling the planet, and the result is not good... too much salt! Way too salty!

Need more sugar!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.