Ballet Flats

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
brennk

Ballet Flats

Post by brennk »

I'm just wondering how many on this forum wear ballet flats and how often? I am in a group on Facebook for Tieks (one of my favorite flats) and there are probably 20 or so other guys. A few are TG or CD, but most are regular blokes wearing fun shoes!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ballet Flats

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I just went on their site and wow are these things made of gold. They must love looking at them as their prices are outrageous! I did not look any further and did not see sizes listed.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fred, I was about to jump on your “overpriced” comment - then I checked the website. US$275 a pair is pretty steep for a simple shoe. I agree with you. Silly prices.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

I'm actually looking for some ballet shoes to go with this nice short tiered skirt that I have. I don't want to go over the $20 range for a pair I'd probably wouldn't wear in public.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Jim wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:57 am There's Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384925895722
Been looking for something like on that site. I just need to find my size. I can assume a size 12 is different for women.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Ebay or Amazon, you can find such shoes for a whole lot cheaper.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

It wouldn't be a cheap option, but Scottish country dancing shoes are similar, and if you send them an outline of your feet they can send exactly the right size, either in the "pump" style which is rather like the ballet flat and worn mainly by women, or the "ghillie" style which has cross-laces up the ankle and is worn by both sexes. Sometimes they have some at sale prices. No idea what shipping to the US might cost, though.

http://www.jamessenior.co.uk
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

TSH wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:02 am
Jim wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:57 am There's Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384925895722
Been looking for something like on that site. I just need to find my size. I can assume a size 12 is different for women.
I don't trust online size numbers to be consistent. I regularly message sellers and ask them for a measurement in inches or centimeters.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

It doesn’t necessarily help you on your side of the pond but; I often wear Clark’s ‘Carousel’ Wide-fit Ballet Flats (the next best thing to wearing Slippers).

While I take a Men’s Size 9 Shoe, I always opt for Size 8 in Women’s Shoes - in Wide fit for Clark’s and M&S - and standard fit when buying Hotter Women’s Shoes (the most comfortable of them all).
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Got my pair from Amazon Essentials. Size 12 male = Size 14 female shoewise. Ran me around $25. Black leather. Wanted something dressier than my tennis shoes peeking out from my ground-lengths. Hope that helps.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I personally thinks ballet flats should be considered with skirts as they are dressier than mens style shoes. It adds a bit more panache to the skirt/outfit and is not so bulky looking on your feet.

Also there are a lot of styles to choose from and colour options too. A simple nude/black would be the best options to begin with.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

That is very true. Ballet flats are much more dressy looking. The problem with men's shoes is that men's feet are larger to begin with. Why do shoe designers make bulky men's shoes that make the foot look even bigger? It doesn't make any sense. A women's ballet flat is a beautiful shoe that slims and makes the foot look smaller. They are really cute!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

jamie001 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:50 am Why do shoe designers make bulky men's shoes that make the foot look even bigger? It doesn't make any sense. A women's ballet flat is a beautiful shoe that slims and makes the foot look smaller. They are really cute!
Totally agree there.
I generally wear a higher heel for that reason as it makes all feet appear smaller too.

Its nice to wear shoes that are dressy but also are weightless on my feet. Pump styles shoes, heeled or flat are all nicely light weight.

NZF
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I have two pair of sandals and a pair of flats from the women's aisle. I love the lighter and less-bulky construction, and they actually fit me better at the heel, where men's loafers ride up and down. And as others said, dressy styles are available - men's dress shoes just don't complement the skirts I favor (mini or knee-length, straight profile).