Dressing for Hot Weather

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Dressing for Hot Weather

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 pmSgian Dubh
Forget that puny kni-fe- [....]
It's not how big it is, it's what you can do with it!
Last edited by Uncle Al on Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 pm while can't carry me a howitzer side arm - I can use a collapsible baton wrecking havoc on that hand holding the small knife.
It is entirely decorative and symbolic. Only in America (or possibly Libya or Somalia) would one consider it appropriate to be armed at a friend's funeral.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:16 pm
r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 pm while can't carry me a howitzer side arm - I can use a collapsible baton wrecking havoc on that hand holding the small knife.
It is entirely decorative and symbolic. Only in America (or possibly Libya or Somalia) would one consider it appropriate to be armed at a friend's funeral.
Civilian funerals sans arms - Military funerals firing squad salute with officer and ceremonial saber/sword
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

This is a good question,

Working and hot weather. Due to the industry i work in Jeans are best thing to wear, I have so many par's of jeans that have been snagged and torn due to slightest touch or brushed up against steel that have saved me from needing stiches. So no bear legs, That means no skirts or kilts.
Also in the plant there are moving machinery that loose fitting clothes can get cought on or into,

As soon as i'm done working, Loose thin clothing, Kilt to skirt, Thin top.
Today it was 104 with 80+% humidity. I was so happy to ditch jeans and change tops b4 i drove home,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 pm Sgian Dubh
Forget that puny kni-fe- while can't carry me a howitzer side arm - I can use a collapsible baton wrecking havoc on that hand holding the small knife.
The literal translation is "Dark Knife" RM so your baton would be still nice and flaccid as the Sgian Dubh was playing havoc with your other soft tissue.
It wasn't always ornamental or ceremonial and now just an optional extra!
For the record, I can never quite decide whether you are trying to be humorous, typically macho or just trying to provoke an argument?
Back to hot weather, there are occasions when one has to simply forgo comfort and wear what the occasion demands regardless of anything else. Call it whatever, but in my book it is simply good manners and respect for other humans. If you can't stand the heat, just stay away from the kitchen or wherever else.
Finally, I still reckon that I have been the most comfortable guy in the office for the past few weeks, shorter skirt yesterday, dress today.
As for the new skirt, pics may be issued in due course.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,

For my work I wear PPE, covering everything except the eyes. For oral surgery nowadays we tend to use a scalpel. A Sgian Dubh would be a tad too big to reach some of the places I need to !

Our surgery premises are air conditioned anyway, so I don't need to wear anything particularly cool underneath the PPE. Mind you, the stuff is made out of paper and without the air-con it'd get pretty hot with all that on.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:06 pm A Sgian Dubh would be a tad too big to reach some of the places I need to !
Sorry Tom, you have lost me.
I don't think an irate highlander would be overly concerned over the state of your dentistry if he was about to bring the sgian dubh to you.
He might end your worries about it though and quite a bit more economically too.
Steve.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

During this past week, actor Brad Pitt was seen wearing a Linen Skirt to a movie premier. Asked why he was wearing a Skirt, his response was that ‘it’s all about the breeze’.

It made the lunchtime news on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday. There was a serious open minded 10 minute discussion on why Men should be allowed to wear Skirts during such hot weather, like Brad Pitt. The female presenter proffered that it would be perfectly reasonable for men to wear Women’s Skirts in the absence of Skirts specifically designed for Men.

Why is takes a famous personality wearing a Skirt to provoke favourable discussion on the wearing of Skirts by Men is beyond me.

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-cultur ... reactions/

https://www.newstalk.com/news/brad-pitt ... ty-1366314
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Here's a link to an interesting Podcast: The Anton Savage Show
https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/s ... A4MWZmYWI=

One of the folks interviewed is a researcher.
She could benefit from hearing from "normal" Men in Skirts and not just celebrity men in skirts
Ken
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

jamodu wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:57 pm There was a serious open minded 10 minute discussion on why Men should be allowed to wear Skirts during such hot weather, like Brad Pitt.
In the democratic countries that most of us live in, men are allowed to wear skirts (in any weather), it is just that few take up that option.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:58 pm
Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:06 pm A Sgian Dubh would be a tad too big to reach some of the places I need to !
Sorry Tom, you have lost me.
I assumed that it was too big for dental surgery :)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

For hot weather, nothing is better than a light airy skirt--but wearing nothing is even more socially unacceptable so far.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:45 am For hot weather, nothing is better than a light airy skirt--but wearing nothing is even more socially unacceptable so far.
Ahh, now I follow ......... nothing is better

When wearing a light airy skirt, I sometimes have to look down and check that I have actually remembered to put something on :)
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

I have a loose mini skirt with a split all the way up .........so cool ,It was from ASDA in the ladies swimwear .
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Currently, the temperature here has reduced to a more pleasant 25 degrees from the 35 degrees that we have been regularly experiencing. Normally, I would be circumspect about wearing a Skirt outside in our rear garden - but when it was regularly 35 degrees or more I eventually threw caution to the wind. I just didn’t care anymore!

Even so, with neighbouring houses surrounding the view of my rear garden, I often ventured outside wearing a short, stretch, bodycon Mini Skirt. Besides being extremely comfortable to wear, my thinking was that if anyone even bothered to gaze at what I was wearing they might have mistaken my Mini Skirt for Shorts.

Under the cover of ‘cognitive dissonance’ I tended to watering some of my vulnerable plants during a slight drop in temperature each evening - in full view of all the neighbouring open Windows, and with several neighbours being outside in their own gardens.