Dressing for Hot Weather

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Dressing for Hot Weather

Post by jamodu »

We are experiencing hot weather here in the UK, with next week’s temperatures forecast to reach 40 degrees Celsius for the first time in our history.

Wearing conventional Men’s Shorts feel too restrictive during the current climate.

I’m mitigating this by wearing light-weight Viscose Summer Shirt Dresses - which are full skirted. I’ve bought one from Warehouse and another from Finery. They are really comfortable to wear - especially with lace underwear to ensure I keep equally cool and ventilated underneath.

At night, when it’s still in the high teens or low 20s, I’m wearing either a short Cotton Nightdress, or a spaghetti strap Chemise.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dressing for Hot Weather

Post by rivegauche »

I agree that a dress is best for this weather. I have several linen and cotton ones bought specially for hot days. Best to stick to natural fibres in the heat but I think viscose, lyocell and modal might work as they are plant-based.

I am going on a trip with a woman friend on Monday when even the north of Scotland is likely to be very hot indeed. Plan is to wear a cotton dress.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Just back from a hot dog-walk. I need a knee length lightweight cotton skirt, preferably A line. Anyone know a reliable supplier in the U.K.? Cost isn’t a major concern.

At the moment, shorts are too warm. Looking forward to the unprecedented 38-39c temperatures on Monday. Thank goodness we had aircon installed in our back room and bedroom this spring. Life-saver - and powered by solar panels….what causes the problem powers the solution!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Floaty loose skirts or dresses are my recommendation for tis weather.
Linen or cotton is best and there are loads on the market at the moment too.
I have certainly been the coolest dude in the office this week as I have even forgone my customary hosiery.
Our dress code stipulates no shorts for anyone and I am mounting a challenge to it right now.
Steve,
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:23 pm Just back from a hot dog-walk. I need a knee length lightweight cotton skirt, preferably A line. Anyone know a reliable supplier in the U.K.? Cost isn’t a major concern.
Ray
Just as I posted, I saw your question. There are loads of Summer skirts and dresses on the market.
Marks and Spencer, Next and John Lewis are all OK in my experience.
Online I have also had good experiences with Joe Browns and Boden too.
As for cost, there's a wide variation in that too.
However, that is all across the aisle, if you are after "man" stuff, no idea at all.
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Thanks Steve. Tried Boden and M&S. No lightweight knee length skirts seem so far. I will keep looking.

This afternoon, I grabbed a sarong for the first time in a decade and wore it. Hiked up while sitting on the back garden, it was fabulous. Later on, I went for an evening walk wearing a 19 inch corduroy burgundy skirt- a practical thing with pockets. I’ve never done that before. It was a country Lane. A couple of cars went by. The world kept on turning. It felt great.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:59 pm Thanks Steve. Tried Biden and M&S. No lightweight knee length skirts seem so far. I will keep looking.
Ray, if length is the problem, just get it taken up?
Won't add that much to cost if you don't DIY and keeps all the choices too.
BTW this is my latest venture, just ordered from Chicwish and a first timer for me too.

Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s a gorgeous skirt!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I'd be too shy to wear such a bold stripe! Today I reverted to my Next miniskirt in black/olive-green check, having by accident bought a T shirt in exactly the right shade of olive green to go with it. Tomorrow I have to go to a funeral, so I think it will have to be a medium-weight tartan kilt with the lightest long socks I can find.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Would it be a crime to leave off the socks?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Wear sandals and forego the sox -
Nothing wrong with wearing ankle sox - but please do a bit of coordination
Also consider low quarter sox hidden by the athletic shoe.

Wearing over the calf (knee) sox - tights - ph - compression leggings is nuts when it is that warm

But be careful not to push the casual Friday mode in some office environments.

I can think of one ugly job of being that UK beefeater wearing that bearskin headgear !

Above all - Keep your Cool and stay Cool !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Heat or no, Funerals don't take that long and wearing regulation tall kilthose wouldn't be the death of MB.

Just think of it, RM,, Wearing just ankle sox, where would MB stick his Sgian Dubh ?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, light and floaty skirts and dresses are the go for warm weather, exposing bare skin to the air for good evaporative cooling. Viscose, Lyocell, and Rayon are good light, plant based, materials with linen and cotton good nartural fibres for hot weather.
Remember to keep up with drinking plenty of water as it is a serious problem to become dehydrated and many realise too late when the body has difficulty cooling itself. If the humidity is high you will need a fan to increase the evaporation from the skin. Also be aware of UV radiation when dressing for hot weather, wearing a hat (straw is good for hot weather) and covering the neck and shoulders.
If it is dry heat one can have a quick cold shower, fully clothed, giving an hour of so of blissful comfort as the clothing dries out. I have been known to do similar in a night shirt immediately before going to bed under a ceiling fan and can get to sleep before one dries out. On cloudy nights I have seen 40C at midnight, which is rather spooky, as most nights are clear and considerably cooler with dry air (low water mass) and radiation loss to outer space.
Most summers we call 36C a cool change but the summer before last we were calling 40C a cool change.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:43 am Would it be a crime to leave off the socks?
In a formal context, it would be a crime against good taste! I wore my lightest weight kilt (bought on eBay as a surplus item from an order for a tropical country), with a white men's shirt, a leather sporran and belt, and a pair of knee-length bamboo-fibre socks from the women's section of the SockShop website (no sgian dhu!). But I dumped the socks when I got home, and eventually switched to a miniskirt for the evening.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:54 am Heat or no, Funerals don't take that long and wearing regulation tall kilthose wouldn't be the death of MB.

Just think of it, RM,, Wearing just ankle sox, where would MB stick his Sgian Dubh ?

Tom
Sgian Dubh
Forget that puny kni-fe- while can't carry me a howitzer side arm - I can use a collapsible baton wrecking havoc on that hand holding the small knife.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !