Medical Grade Hosiery

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Medical Grade Hosiery

Post by jamodu »

My MS often manifests in 'peripheral neuropathy' - with either aching, smarting, or cold legs (depending on the season). This is often alleviated by wearing over-the-counter Factor 8 or 10 Support Tights/Pantyhose, Stockings, or Knee Highs - depending on the severity of the discomfort. John Lewis is my preferred brand, or from M&S.

During the increasingly warmer weather, though, I've been experiencing swollen feet and ankles (another periodic MS symptom). None of my existing Support Tights or Knee Highs have made any impact on reducing the swelling. Regular exercise doesn't help, either.

Needs must, I looked at buying 'medical grade' support hosiery (of the type prescribed by medical professionals). I bought one pair of Tights, plus 2 Stockings and 2 Knee Highs - as they are not necessarily sold as pairs. Where a pair of retail Support Tights or Stockings might cost £5, medical-grade Tights or Stockings typically cost £25. A pair of Knee Highs cost £20. It is worth the cost, as the swelling in my feet and ankles reduced within a matter of hours during my first evening of wearing the Knee Highs.

When purchasing, it is advisable to follow the measuring information to ensure that your buy the correct size - as you cannot return items that you've tried. I bought Size XL (the maximum is XXL).

They are extremely difficult to put on, though. Counter-intuitively, you put them as you would with a pair of Socks. You carefully pull them up one bit at a time. That is, unlike ordinary Support Tights or Stockings, you cannot gather up each leg to the toe and then gradually pull them up to your legs and body. The medical-grade hosiery is difficult to remove, too - which requires 'peeling off'' from top to bottom so that they become inside out once removed.

Also, the instructions for the medical-grade hosiery advise not wearing them for more than 8 hours at a time - compared to the maximum 15 hours that I might wear ordinary Support Tights or Stockings.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Medical Grade Hosiery

Post by trainspotter48 »

As it looks as though you are in the UK, can I suggest that you have a look at Cosyfeet. They are a retailer of shoes and hosiery located in Street, Somerset, but do much of their business by mail order.
While I don't have particular foot problems, I fortunately live close enough to visit, and have always found them helpful.