Double standards

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
steamman

Double standards

Post by steamman »

I am getting a bit sick of seeing articles like this. I totally accept the argument, but it is never ever acknowledged that the same standards should apply to men! Some of these women banging on about their rights are the first to argue strongly against men exhibiting the same freedom of choice and expression, thus perpetuating the double standard. I long to see the day when a male MP turns up at Parliament in a skirt and heels and it is treated as normal.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/li ... arliament/
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Double standards

Post by Sinned »

Investigations by the Tories have revealed the source of the Angela Rayner Basic Instinct story has been exposed as - Angela Rayner. So much for that. As for the text of the article then I agree with you, if women can wear anything then so should men. The whole article just states the blindingly obvious for women. Unfortunately there is no way of responding to the article save maybe creating a login which I am loathe to do.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

It's one person's opinion article, not a scientific study. She simply ventilating her opinion. It's not her responsibility to ventilate your opinion. If you want that, you need to write your own article.

Maybe we can dig up some footage of a male MP where you can see the nipples through the shirt distracting a female speaker. I'm sure that would create quite the media storm.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:22 am It's one person's opinion article, not a scientific study. She simply ventilating her opinion. It's not her responsibility to ventilate your opinion. If you want that, you need to write your own article.
I had the same thought. Near as I can tell no one here writes for any papers, but it seems like it's the kind of thing one or two news outlets would be inclined to cover. Not sure if you (steamman) are the writing type, but why not write your own response and send it to some outlets? Or to other outlets who might be interested in covering a different angle of fashion and such?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I let my actions do the talking.

Talk is cheap.

The best way to promote freedom and break down the double standard is just to wear your skirts freely and naturally.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

For business dress, women do have lots of options while for men it's always a business suit with very little variations. And it is 2022, not the 1950's.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:54 am The best way to promote freedom and break down the double standard is just to wear your skirts freely and naturally.
tbryant2k12 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:57 am For business dress, women do have lots of options while for men it's always a business suit with very little variations. And it is 2022, not the 1950's.
I agree with Moon, don't expect change in others if you can't or won't change yourself.
The same applies here but with the employer as an added dimension.
There are a few members, myself included, who wear skirts and dresses as usual office garb. Check the "Skruit"!
Also remember that the freedoms and choices that women have were hard earned and should not be grudged.
Men just have to shake off the "poor old me" attitude and take control of their own actions.
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:34 am There are a few members, myself included, who wear skirts and dresses as usual office garb.
Sometimes I wish I still worked in an office, so I could wear a skirt to it!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:28 am Sometimes I wish I still worked in an office, so I could wear a skirt to it!
That is a very interesting point MB.
I was wearing a skirt full-time at work before I had the same luxury at home.
At the time it gave me such a psychological boost that it was worth all the anti-depressants in the known universe.
For my employer, the "new" me was a much happier and productive little bunny so satisfactory outcome all round.
That stage was actually crucial in the progress of my skirted journey, without which I probably would not be penning this now.
My next imperative is to get the proverbial skates on an get ready for the daily toil.
Steve.