r/malefashion on reddit

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

r/malefashion on reddit

Post by Coder »

reddit is... an interesting place. Stumbled across this sub the other day:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion/

Some interesting skirted outfits on this sub. I'm sure it won't check everyone's boxes over here, and there are a lot of far out styles, but it's certainly different.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: r/malefashion on reddit

Post by FLbreezy »

Pretty boring compared to a lot of the members here. :lol:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 pm Pretty boring compared to a lot of the members here. :lol:
The pants-based outfits - yes for the most part, though they do make some unique choices on footwear.

The skirt-based outfits - a few are somewhat daring - like the guy with the leather jacket and tulle skirt. Some of the pleated combinations are edgy. Just search "skirt" in that sub.

Overall not easy to compare with some of the regular posters over here, especially since a lot of the examples over there are dark/masculine styled and trend towards streetwear. I think it's good to see more guys experimenting with skirts, and it's helpful for me at least to see other interpretations of a skirted outfit. I like the whole layered look some of the redditors demo, but not sure how to casually pull off something like that. And while I tend towards female shirts I don't think we have to adopt everything female (ie, shoes, skirt, top, accessories) to wear skirts - I think we can make our own thing by feeling out what works, not obsessing as much as I do over getting it "right", and just experiment. Not that there is anything wrong with any clothing or presentation choice - however my tendency is to feel pressured to conform to "what others do" and I'm trying to work on that aspect of my style.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I also wonder where and when some of them wear what they wear - like do these people exist in areas like New York or Milan where dressing differently is normal? Or are they in a small town where they are known as "that guy that dresses funky?".
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 pmI also wonder where and when some of them wear what they wear - like do these people exist in areas like New York or Milan where dressing differently is normal? Or are they in a small town where they are known as "that guy that dresses funky?".
I dwell in a town with a population just north of 4,000. So, I am most assuredly known as "that guy that dresses funky" -- and it doesn't matter because the other fact about living in a small town is that folks get to know you, and I am known as somebody with integrity, who is interesting to talk to, and knows a whole lot about a wide variety of things. I am accepted for who I am (attire not mattering because the rest of the substance overcomes that), and that's what matters.

Attire is but one small part of who we are as human beings, and the sooner that's understood the better. And the sooner we can decouple that from gender/sex (and all the hang-ups associated with) the better.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Seeing others out there with confidence gives me confidence - I am not a leader. Knowing there are others marching to the beat of their drums in a sea of normalcy boosts my morale.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 pm Pretty boring compared to a lot of the members here. :lol:
At the risk of tooting my own horn, I'm inclined to agree! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:27 am Seeing others out there with confidence gives me confidence - I am not a leader. Knowing there are others marching to the beat of their drums in a sea of normalcy boosts my morale.

One of the things I realized into this phase of my sartorial journey is that as the Lennon-McCartney song put it, "Everybody has something to hide except for me and monkey." That is, "normalcy" is a myth; everyone has their own kink, ours just happens to be more visible than other people's. But being open with yours, helps other people be more authentic with theirs.

Finally, I couldn't agree with you more when you said you should just look at what other people wear, men and women, and experiment until you find what feels and looks right for you. And ignore anyone who disputes where you land ... including ME!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Crfriend said,
Attire is but one small part of who we are as human beings, and the sooner that's understood the better.

Amen to that!

He also said,
And the sooner we can decouple that from gender/sex (and all the hang-ups associated with) the better.

Believe it or not, the ultimate goal of the overwhelming majority of the activists in the Pride movement and of the movement itself is to get people beyond judging people and treating them differently because of their sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, presentation and whatever I've forgotten that's been tossed into that stew.

And it all begins by making sure all of those variations are protected from discrimination by law. Once that is in place, more people will be willing to present their authentic selves to the world because they won't be afraid of losing their freedom, their job, their housing or their public dignity. The upside will be that more supposedly "normal" people will stop hiding their monkeys and the world will be a more interesting and undoubtedly happier place.

Except for those people who insist on making themselves miserable in the name of appearances ... that no one else cares about.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 pm Or are they in a small town where they are known as "that guy that dresses funky?".
Never a dull moment when you're "that guy"... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:04 pm
Coder wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 pm Or are they in a small town where they are known as "that guy that dresses funky?".
:D There are so many examples of "that guy" in my neck of the woods, I'm sure to be a "meh" to most people. I mean, you have to be really far out there around here. I don't (and don't want to) hold a candle to any of them.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:36 pm
moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:04 pm
:D There are so many examples of "that guy" in my neck of the woods, I'm sure to be a "meh" to most people. I mean, you have to be really far out there around here. I don't (and don't want to) hold a candle to any of them.
Well come on down to Russell County VA... I could use the competition! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Just one reflection, just who is actually influenced by this?
I liked some bits but none inspired the aspiration to acquire.
Nope, I think my own rhythm suits me best and if I did don some of it. certain people would certainly worry over my mental state.
Steve.
Surprised our Mark didn't have a spot though.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:46 pm Just one reflection, just who is actually influenced by this?
I liked some bits but none inspired the aspiration to acquire.
Nope, I think my own rhythm suits me best and if I did don some of it. certain people would certainly worry over my mental state.
Steve.
Surprised our Mark didn't have a spot though.
I'm not sure. My initial reaction has mellowed a bit - the styles are very avant-garde. Just, different, including the skirted outfits. Some of the outfits are head scratching as well.

I suppose - well here's my thinking. A LOT of the men-wearing-skirts on reddit is geared towards trans/non-binary life, and an unfortunate amount of CD as well. There are very few examples of men as men wearing/styling skirts, so I find any examples notable and maybe another guy out there will run across those posts and it will get them thinking. "Oh, guys can wear skirts too". I don't really think kilts factor in as much - sure once someone starts wearing a kilt they might be more open to other unbifuricated options - but it still fits into a "safe" category. The other reason I thing it's "good" - it isn't in a specific "mens skirts" sub, but rather a generic fashion sub. It's a slow process, but I hope it means interest is picking up. OK, for my next joke...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:32 pm "Oh, guys can wear skirts too".
Hi Coder,
If I have one hope in what I am doing, it is to foster that very sentiment.
I'd even take it a step further and say, anyone can wear what they damn well please without approbation from anyone else.
It even goes beyond clothing on the proviso of no harm done, freedom rules OK!
Oddly, when I made the "influence" remark it wasn't based on the skirt content but really the overall impression.
I suppose I was making a commercial judgement and found it largely uninspiring. Being a grizzled old codger, I will concede generational bias too.
Just had covid negative test 2 so back to the real office today and decide on the flag to fly for the cause, Ha Ha.
Steve.