It's Now Official

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: It's Now Official

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:28 pm Do I really need a reason for what I wear other than, "I like it"?
The whole world and it's loyal dog would say yes because that is simply not enough.
Mr N Parker at the back of the room NEEDS a wealth of reasons or his day will be irrecoverably spoilt.
That would be your fault too because you just don't appear to be NORMAL!
Sorry ad nauseum is in danger of arising.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:11 pmMr N Parker at the back of the room NEEDS a wealth of reasons or his day will be irrecoverably spoilt.
That would be your fault too because you just don't appear to be NORMAL!
If my explanation doesn't suit Mr. Parker then Mr. Parker can go and stuff it. He is worthy of neither my time nor efforts.

I recall one ugly episode at my local when some two-bit preacher demanded of the staff, "What is that over there?" (apparently motioning towards me). The staff were rightfully aghast and swept everything under the rug, but news travels and I learnt of the episode, commenting that the appropriate response would have been to simply "refer him to me" (delivered in a Darth Vader voice). Some laughter was had at that, and then I elaborated on it a little bit and put it into Preacher-Language, "That is a high-functioning human being exercising his divinely-given right to self-determination." (I think that got stowed in more than a few back pockets.) The preacher, who'd apparently caused some distress in the past, drew a lifetime ban from the place and everybody was highly apologetic towards me which I indicated wasn't necessary as nobody on staff had impugned me in the slightest.

Sometimes simple rules the day.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

All it really needs is for everyone to adhere to the commandments of The Almighty Vogue and we will be blessed in our skirts.
Sacrificial Pants to ensure his continuing pleasure may be offered at his Great Manhattan Temple.
Drop your trousers now or risk eternal bifurcation and monochrome damnation.
That's OFFICIAL NOW!
Good Subscription Rates are also available so that you may avoid all the hidden fashion sins that mortifies the unwary.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:42 pmAll it really needs is for everyone to adhere to the commandments of The Almighty Vogue and we will be blessed in our skirts.
And, in all probability, be lumped into the various trans-* buckets. That's completely fine for those who identify as such, but for the average bloke it simply means "abnormal" [1] and represents the kiss of death.
Drop your trousers now or risk eternal bifurcation and monochrome damnation.
Just don't do it in public or you'll entirely likely get nicked for the exercise.

[1] "Abby Someone"...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:20 pm That's completely fine for those who identify as such, but for the average bloke it simply means "abnormal" [1] and represents the kiss of death.
Well as an abnormally average kind of bloke, I will endeavour to guide the sheep to the rich pastures across the aisle.
Is it not said that The Almighty Vogue commands all who choose to don anything more than their Birthday Suits?

Oh dear, it is 03:00 here and I am feeling just a tad silly but Vogue has called and cannot be ignored.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:58 am I started this snowball on its way down the hill so, I guess I need to weigh in again.
Yeah, so it really is your fault!

Certainly takes my mind off the "other stuff" which is inducing insomnia though. The Vogue Gospels are kind of fun to extract the urine from.
If I get bored, I can resort to baiting the Kilt Fascists, they are always good for a jolly jape or two.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Crfriend said,
And, in all probability, be lumped into the various trans-* buckets. That's completely fine for those who identify as such, but for the average bloke it simply means "abnormal" [1] and represents the kiss of death.

You couldn't be more wrong. NO ONE in the Vogue article was identified as trans or any other such identifier.

And certainly no one mistakes Harry Styles for trans so, would you please get off of that hobby horse and rejoin the rest of us in the real world?

I honestly don't know what, except oversensitivity to perceived slights, makes so many of you so sure that the vast majority of people gives so much as a tinker's damn what you wear. Because most people most certainly do NOT. Most people do live by the principle of live and let live. Yes, there are a few folks you'll encounter who don't abide by that, but so far, I've only run into one per year.

If any of you run into more than that, then I suggest you man up and wear your skirts with pride. If you can honestly say that you do, then I suggest you hang out some place else where people haven't forgotten basic decency and don't have such burdensome axes to grind.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'll also add that in my region, 99% of people I interact with refer to me as a guy and use male pronouns for me. Virtually nobody assumes I'm transgender.

There is a VERY rare occasion someone might ask about my pronouns or assume I might be trans,, but again, those cases are VERY VERY rare.

I don't think most people in my region even take transgenderism seriously. They are quite adamant that there are only two genders, and only God gets to choose who's who, and woe unto anyone that assumes otherwise!

The way some here are so fixated on this issue [of adamantly NOT being trans] makes me wonder, "who's assuming you are [trans]?... an article?"

You all do realize most of those articles are just mass produced gobbledygook, it's probably not even penned by actual humans, instead being thought up by algorithms.

Personally, I have my doubts that transgender women even exist.... like liberals, I've only read about them, but I've never seen one in the flesh. Like the proverbial "Goldstein", us locals are indoctrinated to hate them, but I know of nobody who has ever seen one.

Conspiracy I tells ya! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:52 am ...Personally, I have my doubts that transgender women even exist.... like liberals, I've only read about them, but I've never seen one in the flesh.
It sounds as though the transwomen in your part of the World are very sensibly staying as invisible as possible (or they've already been killed or driven out).  If you ever come to England I will happily meet you to prove that I exist (but I don't think you would want to see me 'in the flesh', that's not a pretty sight).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
steamman

Post by steamman »

Clearly, there is a long way to go, reading some of the comments against this article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... esses.html

It’ll be interesting to see if shops start offering non-binary/male changing spaces to avoid the “intrusion into female space” objection. If they don’t, they are losing potential customers!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:22 pm
moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:52 am ...Personally, I have my doubts that transgender women even exist.... like liberals, I've only read about them, but I've never seen one in the flesh.
It sounds as though the transwomen in your part of the World are very sensibly staying as invisible as possible (or they've already been killed or driven out).  If you ever come to England I will happily meet you to prove that I exist (but I don't think you would want to see me 'in the flesh', that's not a pretty sight).
Of course you should know, I was being sarcastic.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

steamman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:25 pm It’ll be interesting to see if shops start offering non-binary/male changing spaces to avoid the “intrusion into female space” objection. If they don’t, they are losing potential customers!
I suggest that if a trans person is in doubt... just use the men's room. There are two types of spaces, women's spaces and unisex spaces.

Men have no sacred spaces.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm Men have no sacred spaces.
Yep. If we form them, immediately "patriarchy" and "oppression". I say this with mirth - I don't lose sleep over any of this but simply acknowledge how things are nowadays.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:14 pm
moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm Men have no sacred spaces.
Yep. If we form them, immediately "patriarchy" and "oppression". I say this with mirth - I don't lose sleep over any of this but simply acknowledge how things are nowadays.
Purty much.

It doesn't bother me... I don't play sports, nor do I take showers in communal spaces, and I avoid public restrooms... I'd just assume find an out of the way bush to pee behind...
-Andrea
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The whole sacred spaces thing is overstated. All shops in the UK are happy for men (however dressed) to use the same fitting rooms as women. I have never heard of an objection from a customer. In all parts of the UK (with the possible exception of the Isle of Man - where anything modern is illegal anyway) it is legal for anyone to use any toilet facilities. The current debate (shouting match) risks a backlash that will end this liberal approach. I am never out long enough as a man in a skirt to need to use a toilet but occasionally have had to when presenting as a woman. I either ask permission (hotels) or make sure I am accompanied by a woman friend (not in the cubicle obviously), on the grounds that any cross-dressed man accompanied by a woman is less likely to be perceived as a threat than a solo crossdresser. My objective is as much about ensuring the comfort of usual users of the facilities as my own. If I ever encountered a communal changing room I would turn back immediately - but I never have. The only time I have ever gone swimming (in a hotel pool) I ensured before going that private changing facilities were available.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Eehh.... I don't mind using the guys room if nature calls.... even if it were to approach "passable woman" territory.

I'm happy to confuse the little boys... :twisted:

But yeah, the whole argument is pretty asinine. Just good old fashioned prejudice provoked by media fear mongering, used as nothing more as a tool to win cheap votes for sleazy politicians.
-Andrea