Almost No Skirt Options!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Almost No Skirt Options!

Post by rivegauche »

The choice of dress is important. Often the waistline on a dress is too high for a male torso and it looks awful. There are lots of dresses out there with no waist. If the dress is plain you get the same non-reaction as with a skirt. I have worn T-shirt dresses (with low heeled sandals) to shop in supermarkets and no one reacted. Not so much as a second glance. As I have posted another answer describing more elaborate presentations I stress that this was JUST dress and sandals - completely male presentation. Probably the majority of my dresses have no waist. Dresses with a defined waist and a flared skirt at knee or just above knee length look dreadful on male bodies and if you avoid these there is still a lot of choice.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:57 pm The choice of dress is important. Often the waistline on a dress is too high for a male torso and it looks awful. There are lots of dresses out there with no waist. If the dress is plain you get the same non-reaction as with a skirt. I have worn T-shirt dresses (with low heeled sandals) to shop in supermarkets and no one reacted. Not so much as a second glance. As I have posted another answer describing more elaborate presentations I stress that this was JUST dress and sandals - completely male presentation. Probably the majority of my dresses have no waist. Dresses with a defined waist and a flared skirt at knee or just above knee length look dreadful on male bodies and if you avoid these there is still a lot of choice.
Ahh, see I've never fancied the "gown dress" look on me. Which a ritual robe is really more like a gown, it, by itself doesn't have a defined waist either, but I create one by tying off a cord at the location I desire (similar to how you'd see a monk do). In fact, it seems many "male gowns/robes/etc" are tied off with a sash of some kind around the low waist/high hip area.

On second thought I suppose I could just get an ordinary "off the peg" gown style dress and tie it off with a sash of some type where I desire.

But then again, whenever I'm browsing dresses in a local store, often the only thing I can find are the typical dresses with the flared skirt above the knee you describe (cocktail dresses), or the very churchy stuff that older ladies wear at church and other formal occasions.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, rg, I find that the T-shirt dress works for me too. The sort of LBD with cap sleeves and A-line means no defined waist. Just need to get the right hem length.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:55 pm Yes, rg, I find that the T-shirt dress works for me too. The sort of LBD with cap sleeves and A-line means no defined waist. Just need to get the right hem length.
Tee-shirt, shirt and knitted dresses all seem to work well enough for my purposes.
Dennis, I'm no sewer but adjusting the hem on a tee would really appear to be a simple operation?
As to the original subject, I have acquired 4 new skirts this year and one dress so options are there.
Happy to say that the incidence of females in skirts and dresses seems to be holding steady too.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, shortening a hem is quite simple superficially. The trick is to get someone to measure the hem height all the way around from the floor or other flat surface that you can stand on. Some people have a sticky-out bum which, if the hem was level all the way around, would raise the hem at the back slightly. Of course a flat rear might not make very much difference. Once the height is determined then there are several ways of sewing the hem up. Apart from using a machine I know 3 or 4 different methods of hand stitching. Plenty of tutorials on yubetube.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

There is a contraption called a "hem marker", which is basically a piece of chalk or a marker on a stand to mark the correct height as you turn around. There are other tricks like a string with chalk across a door opening. Google is your friend here.

But yes, getting someone to help improves results immeasurably.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Sinned wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:55 pm Yes, rg, I find that the T-shirt dress works for me too. The sort of LBD with cap sleeves and A-line means no defined waist. Just need to get the right hem length.
I just bought a sort of long-sleeved t-shirt dress from Sainsbury's TU range - £11 in the sale. Comes to a few inches below the knee and is super soft!

I haven't yet been brave enough to put it on at home, and I'm not sure when I might wear it outside, but I couldn't resist.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Coder wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:28 am
Faldaguy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:25 am On the street, I am seeing a lot of just barely visible skirts over heavy leggings-- how viable is that?
This seems to be one of the standard "uniforms" around here during the winter. Miniskirt of sorts over leggings. The look isn't terrible, though usually is accompanied by a pair of chunky boots or sometimes sneakers. I'm sure part of it is modesty - I'm of the firm opinion that leggings != pants and I've heard the same from women.
My reaction to paint ons? They strike me as borderline indecent, if nothing is worn over them. The miniskirt over leggings look is very preferable in this regard.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:02 am My reaction to paint ons? They strike me as borderline indecent,
Hi Grok
I'm afraid this is a judgement call which some folks would make of a guy in a skirt.
Of course, we could enforce modesty and compliance as it is done in other cultures?
All I can say is that I try not to stare at such things lest I get accused of good old lechery.
On that note there will also be a lot of males, young and old, who love this fashion.
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

greenboots wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:15 pm I just bought a sort of long-sleeved t-shirt dress from Sainsbury's TU range - £11 in the sale. Comes to a few inches below the knee and is super soft!

I haven't yet been brave enough to put it on at home, and I'm not sure when I might wear it outside, but I couldn't resist.
I've just bought one of those (unluckily not at sale price), they are really nice.  It is a fraction too short to wear with long socks, which look dreadful when the tops are exposed, and I really don't feel comfortable in tights, so I'm waiting for warmer weather when I can wear it bare-legged.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Not to derail the train of thought, but I'd like to get back to NZ's grumble for a moment. While perhaps this may not fit the original poster's definition of a suit, the fact is the designers who dress professional women coordinate their jackets, pants, skirts and now shorts in the same fabrics, styles, prints, colors, etc. so you can build a suit of whatever color, Pattern, etc. that you like and have them come together as a well-matched suit.

For my best interview suit, I went to Macy's online and selected a jacket, skirt and pants (the last so I could say I had a 3-piece suit :lol: ) from Ann Taylor's Executive Collection. Those worked out very well because up top I'm a 14, but in bottoms I'm an 8 or 10. Just to be sure it fit perfectly, I took it to my tailor and got it custom-fitted. as would anyone, man or woman.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected a typo
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

My SO received a folder in the post with the new season collections. I browsed through it and counted pages and pages of dresses and one (1) skirt. I was actually surprised it was so lopsided.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:14 pm My SO received a folder in the post with the new season collections. I browsed through it and counted pages and pages of dresses and one (1) skirt. I was actually surprised it was so lopsided.
Old Navy - I saw an AD on Instagram this morning and clicked on it. On their website they have:

43 skirts
345 dresses

In both cases these represent total number of unique styles+colors - so they may list the same design multiple times in different fabrics, but still, that's a huge difference. And I think I've noticed this trend subconsciously.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I have been bleating about the dresses thing for ages but it is really useful.
The breadth of choice has enabled me to find welcome alternatives to the skirts in my collection.
I have a brand new pinafore that I bought on the day before the Covid struck and now I am chomping the bit to get it out and about.
Dresses are so comfy and make suiting up for the day so simple and they are fun too,

For those who may have missed it, here is a "Skruit";
20220329_160942.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shick

Post by Shick »

Myopic Bookworm wrote:
> I was in M&S recently, and they seemed to have hardly any skirts at all
> on display, whether as suits or not.

Its a post-lockdown thing. Sales of formal workwear, be it skirts of suits, has plummeted so most retailers are opting for casual wear. That means more flowy skirts and fewer structured cuts. :-(