Almost No Skirt Options!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Almost No Skirt Options!

Post by nzfreestyler »

Just thought I'd make a comment/ have a bit of a moan....

I've been shopping for another suit and there are heaps of suits but almost none with a skirt option anymore. Perhaps one or two skirt options out of 30-40 pant styles.

There are shorts options - but not skirts....
I admit I do like high waisted pant suits now - never thought I would till coerced into trying them on - and the shorts are in my mind peculiar - I want a skirt, it just looks better than shorts, and its summer and I want my legs out....

Anyway - not sure what the shopping is like on the other side of the globe... but down here its all pants.

Grumble grumble.

NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Almost No Skirt Options!

Post by JeffB1959 »

Hmm! Admittedly, I don't wear suits, so I haven't noticed what's up with them here. Now that you've piqued my curiosity, nz, I'll pay attention to suits the next time I'm in a department store and report back.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ebay comes up with 54000+ results for "skirt suit".

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=skirt+suit
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I was in M&S recently, and they seemed to have hardly any skirts at all on display, whether as suits or not.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I am in the market for a navy skirt suit and the choice is very limited - not even Hobbs has what I want. I am considering having one made.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Finding a new skirt in a store ( Walmart, Meijer, Costco, Target) here in this corner of the world, it's almost impossible. I will say Target had the most. The others might have one offering. Same style, with 2 or 3 color options.
Effectively in my opinion the skirt has gone the way of the dinosaur.
I'm not going to get started on bemoaning lack, loss of skirts. Buy them when and where you can. I have stocked up on skirts since 2015. I think I have enough to last me The rest of my life. 2021 I noticed the biggest decline in my local thrift store skirt stock, originally a 25 foot rack skirts, is all condensed down to 10 or 12 feet. :cry: that Is all sizes and types. Now when I go looking, I might find 1 or two in my size. There used to be so many more.

I don't have much to say about skirt suits, I don't care for regular suits.
That and I highly doubt I'm going to find a mens suit jacket and matching skirt fabric. For the same reason I don't care for dresses I'm not going to try womens suit coats tops not fitting right.
Also I've never cared for the look of a woman in a pants suit or skirt suit.

A nice dress shirt or polo shirt is about as formal as I get.

I have several nice skirts I would like to pair with several of my dress shirts. And think they would be neat outfits. But for the time being I'm still underground when it comes to wearing skirts publicly. :(
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

It's gotten so bad, even Minnie Mouse has to wear a pantsuit:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... -rcna13793

:D

But in all seriousness - I haven't seen a decline in skirt options online. I don't know how inventories work, so perhaps what stores have online doesn't reflect what they have in the store, and perhaps the stores you go to are more exclusive/smaller? Also, I see a ton of advertising on Instagram, past retailers via email, and catalogs... skirts seem to still be sold/featured.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Could it be that womens' interest in skirts has gotten so low...that selling skirts locally is now just barely viable?

Perhaps selling skirts online is more promising, because of the larger geographical area?
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I don't mind that the selling skirts are just barely visible, oops --' oh you said viable. What might our down under moderator have to say to that; 'just a mini' issue...

Here, a single Goodwill store is putting a dent in my billfold and a burden on my closet rod -- perhaps that is the ladies unloading theirs, or just making room for more? On the street, I am seeing a lot of just barely visible skirts over heavy leggings-- how viable is that? Sorry Grok, subliminal thoughts revealed while skimming 'barely viable skirts'. :doh:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:25 am On the street, I am seeing a lot of just barely visible skirts over heavy leggings-- how viable is that?
This seems to be one of the standard "uniforms" around here during the winter. Miniskirt of sorts over leggings. The look isn't terrible, though usually is accompanied by a pair of chunky boots or sometimes sneakers. I'm sure part of it is modesty - I'm of the firm opinion that leggings != pants and I've heard the same from women.

That being said, I much prefer leggings+skirts it to say, my nemesis - sweatpants + (uggs / flip flops / crocs / slippers)*. In fact, I unearthed a quilted puffer skirt I bought a few years ago, and am going to give the leggings+skirts look a go, albeit in my own way.

*Look, people can wear what they want - not going to tell them how to dress. I just find these combination dreadfully tacky on anyone.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

How about have the suit custom made, The jacket and skirt can be 100% all u, have it fit how u want and add anything that u feel it should have.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Took a stroll thought the GoodWill yesterday... not much in the way of a decent skirt... about 20 feet of rack and mostly churchy stuff or straight cut skirts....

There are skirts out there, but it's just so hard to find a nice knee length swishy skirt. But I reckon that just makes the thrill of the hunt more fun!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Here in Scotland you still see women wearing skirts and skirts on rails in shops. If, like me, you make the move to dresses, the choice expands considerably. It is not just that woman are wearing trousers more but that more women have swopped skirts for dresses.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

If you limit yourself to what is current, at major stores, then skirts are in limited supply. Individual charity stores are luck of the draw. Ebay, Poshmark and similar online sources, I find best for choice. In Australia the Salvos charity stores have gone online and I have bought a couple of nice skirts from them, with very reasonable postage cost.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:16 pm If, like me, you make the move to dresses, the choice expands considerably.
I've had a few dresses over the years, but I've re-homed all of them now. Looking back I'm just unsatisfied with how they look on me. I think it's due to where the waist line is defined on a typical dress, which is usually very high, which granted, I wear skirts high on my waist, but I also tend to wear my top over the skirt so I can achieve the look I'm wanting.

If I could find a dress with a waistline defined somewhere between the hip and the navel I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately no dresses I've owned have worked for this. The only one that comes close is my old Wiccan robe (which I do still own). I can tie off a cord below my belly and achieve a non-feminine somewhat "dressy" look. I've worn it out a few times and I can tell you... if you think you turn heads in a Walmart wearing a skirt... you should see the reaction with a ritual robe!

It's interesting that there is really nothing feminine, girly, or even "transgender-like" about the robe, yet I get very self-conscious wearing it, I guess mainly because it's just so.... different.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.