Skirt wearer turned away

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt wearer turned away

Post by Sinned »

If the skirted man conforms to the rules in the men's section then he cannot be improperly dressed.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm Religion should always be subordinate to the principle of equality and fairness. Dogma should never trump logic and equity.

I’d like to see all religions bend to the law and not vice versa.
Your second paragraph would contradict the first in the case of issues such as the abolition of slavery and the civil rights movement where religious motives led to protesting and breaking the law.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Jim, I’d suggest that it wasn’t religion that broke these abhorrent practices; it was a strongly felt conviction of stamping out something that was discriminatory, racist, and inequitable.

Religious groups don’t have a hegemony over these values. They are practiced by many. If the law is wrong, religion isn’t necessarily a driver for changing that law. Values are.

Indeed, if one looks at some of the Christian organisations in the USA, they are arguably the last groups one would cite as having strong and equitable moral and ethical values. If you’re gay or practise another religion, you’re going to be in their firing line.

I don’t see the contradiction you refer to, based on the above.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Ray wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm Religion should always be subordinate to the principle of equality and fairness. Dogma should never trump logic and equity.

I’d like to see all religions bend to the law and not vice versa.
As saying goes: in Europe the state is protected from the church, in America the church is protected from the state.

A subtle but quite important difference.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I can confirm that the comments section on the site has been removed. Maybe I was too successful and an implosion occurred.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:48 am I just got back a couple of weeks ago (it feels like an eternity!) from Savannah, GA/USA, wore skirts (or the occasional dress) the whole time I was there, and was not once challenged about anything -- and I have long hair, frequently adorned with bows of other fancy adornments. I suspect there's something else in play here that's not being reported.
Something else in play ? ......yes ,like when a chap in England (Old England) (In Europe), was banned from wearing skirts for life !! something was held back from us , was he litter picking in his micro number ? he said it was not fair as he always wore underwear (unlike some of the young ladies in the village !) not a free country as the Saxons wanted .
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Knickson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:28 pm Something else in play ? ......yes ,like when a chap in England (Old England) (In Europe), was banned from wearing skirts for life !! something was held back from us , was he litter picking in his micro number ? he said it was not fair as he always wore underwear
Hi
History like this fascinates me and I'd love to know more details, place and dates would be good.
However, it rather sounds like one which comes from 2010 and there is a lot more than a simple "ban" on guy wearing skirt.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Knickson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:28 pm
crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:48 am I just got back a couple of weeks ago (it feels like an eternity!) from Savannah, GA/USA, wore skirts (or the occasional dress) the whole time I was there, and was not once challenged about anything -- and I have long hair, frequently adorned with bows of other fancy adornments. I suspect there's something else in play here that's not being reported.
Something else in play ? ......yes ,like when a chap in England (Old England) (In Europe), was banned from wearing skirts for life !! something was held back from us , was he litter picking in his micro number ? he said it was not fair as he always wore underwear (unlike some of the young ladies in the village !) not a free country as the Saxons wanted .
Knowing bouncers, and considering the reply from the establishment, it seems the guy with the clipboard let his personal politics play a role. I’m new here and new to wearing kilts openly, do those here who are unabashedly openly wearing skirts also have troubles getting into places? Asking for a friend.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:51 am Asking for a friend.
I have never had any problem but I am not out to many places with doormen/bouncers these days.
Certainly no hassle in any hostelry or pub that I have visited.
That said, there are local places that I'd deem "no-go", simply on prior knowledge.
As I said elsewhere, the World Not Caring is not a universal truth and Joe Public won't always mind his beeswax.
Be Aware, Stay Safe, Have Fun.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:04 pmI have never had any problem but I am not out to many places with doormen/bouncers these days.
Certainly no hassle in any hostelry or pub that I have visited.
That said, there are local places that I'd deem "no-go", simply on prior knowledge.
As I said elsewhere, the World Not Caring is not a universal truth and Joe Public won't always mind his beeswax.
Be Aware, Stay Safe, Have Fun.
There is great truth in what Steve writes there.

I'm in substantially the same position, albeit an ocean away (literally!), and my experiences mirror his. Yes, there are places I would not go in a skirt, but those are places I wouldn't go anyway.

The only moments of hostility I've had have involved alcohol, drugs, or mental instability and I gracefully extricated myself each time.

His last line is especially true, and it's entirely applicable no matter what one is wearing. If one looks like he's fully aware of what's around him, he'll have an air of confidence that will usually inform miscreants to go bother someone unsuspecting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:54 am
Knickson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:28 pm Something else in play ? ......yes ,like when a chap in England (Old England) (In Europe), was banned from wearing skirts for life !! something was held back from us , was he litter picking in his micro number ? he said it was not fair as he always wore underwear
Hi
History like this fascinates me and I'd love to know more details, place and dates would be good.
However, it rather sounds like one which comes from 2010 and there is a lot more than a simple "ban" on guy wearing skirt.
Steve.
It was a while ago now , but I don`t understand how they could ever ban anyone from wearing skirts in public , In England you can wear what you like as long as no genitals can be seen , I would think this ban would now be void what with all the naked protests and group photo sessions .
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Knickson wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 pm I don`t understand how they could ever ban anyone from wearing skirts in public
Wouldn't happen if the wearer was just going about their "normal" business.
In the case I mentioned, the guy was using the skirts to be a bloody pest to those around him.
He was a known sex-offender and the ban was the subject of an ASBO.
Antisocial Behaviour Order for those not acquainted with British legalese.
When I read about it, he came very close to being jailed because it was not an isolated breach.
That is how one earns a lifetime ban and potentially makes all our skirted lives more damn difficult.
Joe Public can be quite indiscriminate when it comes to using the tarry brush.
I reckon you'd actually have been stupid to be out and about skirted in that area while all of that was occurring.
This type of behaviour is certainly not helping us toward acceptance.
A degree of mindfulness is required and it is to no avail to rail against the injustice of it all.
Consistency and Fairness are words that good ole Joe P. doesn't always have much time for and then we can get Vic Vigilante just to help him along too.
Win friends, influence people but don't piss them off deliberately, you/we will lose in the end.
Steve.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:17 am
Knickson wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 pm I don`t understand how they could ever ban anyone from wearing skirts in public
Wouldn't happen if the wearer was just going about their "normal" business.
In the case I mentioned, the guy was using the skirts to be a bloody pest to those around him.
He was a known sex-offender and the ban was the subject of an ASBO.
Antisocial Behaviour Order for those not acquainted with British legalese.
When I read about it, he came very close to being jailed because it was not an isolated breach.
That is how one earns a lifetime ban and potentially makes all our skirted lives more damn difficult.
Joe Public can be quite indiscriminate when it comes to using the tarry brush.
I reckon you'd actually have been stupid to be out and about skirted in that area while all of that was occurring.
This type of behaviour is certainly not helping us toward acceptance.
A degree of mindfulness is required and it is to no avail to rail against the injustice of it all.
Consistency and Fairness are words that good ole Joe P. doesn't always have much time for and then we can get Vic Vigilante just to help him along too.
Win friends, influence people but don't piss them off deliberately, you/we will lose in the end.
Steve.
Wires crossed here , I was not talking about the Guy that dressed as a schoolgirl and had an ASBO , the one I read about was an older chap that lived in a Village and the residents do not like any free thinkers .
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Knickson wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:25 pm the one I read about was an older chap that lived in a Village and the residents do not like any free thinkers .
OK, in that case, I cannot think of any way in which such a ban could be applied and enforced.
Ah, wait, he did piss them off, by being himself! Then good old societal pressure did the rest.
Possibly a damn sight more effectively than my guy's asbo too.
Funny thing is that UK is generally tolerant of quirks and eccentricities but public opinion is too subjective to be relied on.
Steve.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:11 am
Knickson wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:25 pm the one I read about was an older chap that lived in a Village and the residents do not like any free thinkers .
OK, in that case, I cannot think of any way in which such a ban could be applied and enforced.
Ah, wait, he did piss them off, by being himself! Then good old societal pressure did the rest.
Possibly a damn sight more effectively than my guy's asbo too.
Funny thing is that UK is generally tolerant of quirks and eccentricities but public opinion is too subjective to be relied on.
Steve.
Yes ,I think maybe he was also not going with the flow on other issues and dissent is not liked in this free country that we are supposed to have .