Trying on clothes in-store

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trying on clothes in-store

Post by denimini »

I think I might have mentioned in another thread long ago but is pertinant to this discussion.
I was waiting to try on some skirts at a Savers store (a supermarket sized charity shop), it was busy with a queue at the change rooms. There was a lady there who directed me into a change room when it became available. I had a heap of skirts, probably more than one was allowed to take in, and as often happens, the majority were not a good fit or look. I was particularly sad about one skirt that I really liked. When I came out the lady asked if I wanted her to take the skirts I wasn't going to buy. I told her about my disappointment that many did not fit and that I was happy to return those back on the rack. We then had a good chat about sizing of clothes and she gave me a few hints about different brands.
I was wearing a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Good to hear that so many of you have had positive experiences, as have I (in the US). I have bought skirts at charity shops and a retailer that specializes in casual and recreational/sports attire. The former had attended but non-gendered fitting rooms, the latter had men’s and women’s, unattended. My latest purchase was from a consignment shop with quite a good selection. It was only when I was headed to the fitting area that I realized that the shop had no men’s clothing at all, just women’s, and home furnishings. I asked the clerk if I could try on my pick, and she said “of course” and indicated the single space with curtained alcoves. Liked the look, liked the fit, purchased it - transaction proceeded as if she did this every day. It was cold (this was in Minnesota), so I was wearing jeans, though I prefer to shop for skirts in a skirt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by KenCT » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:07 pm

asked the clerk if I could try on my pick, and she said “of course” and indicated the single space with curtained alcoves. Liked the look, liked the fit, purchased it - transaction proceeded as if she did this every day. It was cold (this was in Minnesota), so I was wearing jeans, though I prefer to shop for skirts in a skirt.
Getting 'stuck' in Oregon this winter has given rise to a lot of extra trips to Goodwill and New to You in search of long warm skirts as I came without pants and was not about to capitulate that easily. Granted 'winter' in this part of Oregon is not truly cold, but I found some ankle length skirts of heavier material and/or more to my liking, long-lined skirts are surprisingly warm, more so than some slacks and jeans once were. Pair them with some longer heavy socks and you don't have to forego any comfort.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:34 am[...] I found some ankle length skirts of heavier material and/or more to my liking, long-lined skirts are surprisingly warm, more so than some slacks and jeans once were. Pair them with some longer heavy socks and you don't have to forego any comfort.
Shhh. We don't want that little secret getting out into circulation, else long skirts will disappear altogether.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:14 pm
Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:34 am[...] I found some ankle length skirts of heavier material and/or more to my liking, long-lined skirts are surprisingly warm, more so than some slacks and jeans once were. Pair them with some longer heavy socks and you don't have to forego any comfort.
Shhh. We don't want that little secret getting out into circulation, else long skirts will disappear altogether.
Where do you find these?
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Freedomforall » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:23 am
crfriend wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:14 am
Faldaguy wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:34 am
[...] I found some ankle length skirts of heavier material and/or more to my liking, long-lined skirts are surprisingly warm, more so than some slacks and jeans once were. Pair them with some longer heavy socks and you don't have to forego any comfort.
Where do you find these?
The secrets or the skirts? You will have to ask our Master Barista as the keeper of the secrets. :wink:

The skirts -- most of mine come from Goodwill or similar charity shops. "New to You" is a local consignment shop in McMinnville, OR -- I don't know if they have other outlets, and their inventory is much smaller. Sadly, seasonal demands and contributions seem to thin the racks on the longer skirt choices right now. I actually went into two low end clothing shops today in search of a couple more -- Marshall's and Ross Dress for Less -- the later certainly offered Less, nary a skirt in sight, and no better next door -- no wonder there is a thread here wondering if more women are wearing skirts, the retail inventory was naught; whereas there were hundreds at Goodwill, mostly cute little summer or flashy night-out items though.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:04 amThe skirts -- most of mine come from Goodwill or similar charity shops.
Most of my heavyweight skirts came from Historical Emporium including a glorious heavy wool one that I wear when it's stupidly cold (like it was yesterday) and a selection of moderately heavy cotton "walking skirts". These are all ankle- or floor- length and paired with a petticoat are remarkably well-behaved.

The wool one weighs in at slightly north of four pounds, the "walking skirts" around 2, and the heavier petticoat at about 1 1/2 pounds. With the wool one, a heavy petti, and thick tights gets me to be able to tolerate temperatures down to about -10 (F) or so. They're vastly warmer than tr*users.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

I live in Philadelphia, used to live in Boston, and have spent a lot of time in Leeds and in London. I very seldom experience any issues when trying on clothes and when I have had an issue, I'm pretty sure its because of the sales assistant not the store. Once in a while I'll get someone telling me that my presence would upset any women customers who might be present or that "we don't have a men's dressing room" but I've never heard "the store's policy is...."

As I was writing this I had one other thought. I've experienced any hesitancy or discomfort with young sales assistants or senior sales assistants. When someone does look uncomfortable or is difficult, it's invariably somebody in their 40s or 50s. Can't figure out why that might be true, but I've had nothing but lovely help from the young and old.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

alexthebird wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:09 am When someone does look uncomfortable or is difficult, it's invariably somebody in their 40s or 50s. Can't figure out why that might be true, but I've had nothing but lovely help from the young and old.
I figure it might be because people in that age range tend to be very angry at the world all of the time. Younger people still have hope for the future and older people don't care anymore. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Quite a few years ago, I was in Coney Street the city of York and decided to do a bit of early Christmas shopping. In the window of a shop called "Richards" (a chain of womenswear stores which I assume have all since stopped trading), I spotted a stylish leather waistcoat and I knew my wife would love it. I called in - they had her size, so i took it to the cashier and bought it. While walking out of the store holding my purchase, I spotted a colourful satin dress with a fruit pattern on it. I picked one off the rail and I was half thinking "Hmmm...eldest daughter for Christmas, perhaps?" I wouldn't have bought it without checking with my wife first, and I was about to put the garment back and a middle-aged assistant smiled at me and said in a casual way something like: "Let me know if you'd like to try it, darling, and I'll take you to a fitting room". The she wandered off, nonchalantly. I was a bit astonished to say the least and I can only assume that the shop did have its share of crossdressers and the staff were happy to help them. Err...OK. A sale is a sale, I suppose.

My wife loved her waistcoat and wore it a great deal for a while. I believe she still has it somewhere in the house among suitcases of garments she has hung on to for God knows what reason. When I described the dress to my wife, she scoffed that it sounded like the kind of thing our daughter would hate and said that I "had absolutely no clue".
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 pm My wife loved her waistcoat and wore it a great deal for a while. I believe she still has it somewhere in the house among suitcases of garments she has hung on to for God knows what reason. When I described the dress to my wife, she scoffed that it sounded like the kind of thing our daughter would hate and said that I "had absolutely no clue".
HI Stu,
The Richards chain evolved into Arcadia and all gone too.
Well done for the waistcoat purchase, we sometimes get it right.
In that respect, is it possible that your daughter would have actually favoured that dress?
That sales assistant was likely on some form of commission payment but maybe she had you well judged too,
Sellers of that nature do not waste time on mere browsers.
Steve