Dresses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses?

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

On one occasion when I wore a kilt to choir practice, the music director referred to me offhand as "the guy in a dress". This made me determined to wear a dress to choir practice at some point, just because. It took a good deal of working up to it, but tonight I made it. I'll admit I was deliberately subtle about it. I have worn a black kilt and a black skirt to choir before now, so someone who wasn't looking carefully might not have noticed that, under a short black overcoat and a neutral woollen scarf, I was wearing not a black jumper and skirt, but a sleeveless black sheath dress over a man's shirt; to the knee, above black suede boots, so the whole outfit is very subdued and un-eye-catching.

I wore it all day to acclimatize, including on a trip to the supermarket (to buy tights!), and with shoes as well as boots. It combines well enough with a man's tweed jacket, and could be worn without a shirt, or with a turtleneck top. I have no idea who it was designed to fit, but they certainly weren't well-endowed in the boobage department, as it is comfortably fitted on me, if a little looser on the hips than a female figure might allow.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:44 pm I have no idea who it was designed to fit, but they certainly weren't well-endowed in the boobage department, as it is comfortably fitted on me,
And therein lies our biggest challenge. Deep scoop necks, v-necks, and sweetheart necks are out unless we want the upper bodice flapping like a sail amidst tufts of chest hair. The more modest necklines work better but still often leave something baggy between neck and waist. If I choose my size based on chest size, the waist is about six inches too small for me. I can't get a good fit until there is plenty of spandex involved, or snug elasticised (that is to say, smocked or ruched) bodice like you find in a sundress.
Ralph!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:44 pm I have no idea who it was designed to fit,
I'd hazard, female, but forgive me for being flippant.
Ralph wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:02 am And therein lies our biggest challenge.
There are two problems, the sizing system itself and fundamental differences in men's and women's body shapes.
My best dress solutions so far have been have been shirt/tee or buttoned, jumper and pinafore.
Layering can help cover the chest fuzz dilemma too if the style is right.
I also use it for added warmth but that just presents an illusion of skirt with top which I don't really like.
Steve.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:10 amThere are two problems, the sizing system itself and fundamental differences in men's and women's body shapes.
And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Three! Our THREE main weapons are...
Sorry, that's an automatic (and undeserved) response whenever a list of bullet points keeps growing as participants remember other relevant items to add to the list.
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Surprise is our most important weapon!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Bring on the comfy chair.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm racking my brains for a suitable response.
Steve
BFTights

Post by BFTights »

I discovered 'nightys' a couple of years ago, and I do mean night shirts, and agree they are brilliant for sleeping in. I've struggled to find long sleeved versions but I wouldn't wear anything else in bed, well not that I'll admit to here! ;).
Tazzmac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:24 am So , I'm a part time kiltie but funnily enough I spend a lot of time in a 'dress' if the truth be told and ironically I've never had when occasionally my neighbours have seen me . It's kind of weird I've never really thought of it til recently .

I have never owned a pair of pyjamas in my life . I've always worn nightshirts (correct term ) or as Mum called them 'nighty's' ..She'd say "Your nighty is ready for putting away " after it was laundered..

The old ones were rather long , almost to my ankles but I must have a dozen or so and the new ones are above the knee. I like mine slightly over size so I can slip in and out of them easy . The flannel winter ones are surprisingly warm and the lightweight summer ones are so much better than any pyjama tops and bottoms could be..super easy to wash too..

On the odd occasion I've been ready for bed or forgotten to lock the car and gone out just in my nighty and one of my neighbours have seen me ..If it bothers them like my kilts they've never said so ..Maybe I'm more of a non conformist than I thought eh .. Does anybody else like nighty's?.. Love to know ... Cheers .
BFTights

Post by BFTights »

That outfit sounds really good to me. I have a black hoodie dress from OASIS which I wear with tights and Doc Martens and that can be quite subtle especially if worn with black opaque tights. The various hoodie and sweatshirt dresses out there can work pretty well for most body shapes.
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:44 pm On one occasion when I wore a kilt to choir practice, the music director referred to me offhand as "the guy in a dress". This made me determined to wear a dress to choir practice at some point, just because. It took a good deal of working up to it, but tonight I made it. I'll admit I was deliberately subtle about it. I have worn a black kilt and a black skirt to choir before now, so someone who wasn't looking carefully might not have noticed that, under a short black overcoat and a neutral woollen scarf, I was wearing not a black jumper and skirt, but a sleeveless black sheath dress over a man's shirt; to the knee, above black suede boots, so the whole outfit is very subdued and un-eye-catching.

I wore it all day to acclimatize, including on a trip to the supermarket (to buy tights!), and with shoes as well as boots. It combines well enough with a man's tweed jacket, and could be worn without a shirt, or with a turtleneck top. I have no idea who it was designed to fit, but they certainly weren't well-endowed in the boobage department, as it is comfortably fitted on me, if a little looser on the hips than a female figure might allow.
jcny

Post by jcny »

A shirt dress, especially a style called "drop-waist" is an excellent option for men's bodies. I'd show you my favorite here, but for some reason even a small pic of285 KB is rejected as "too large"!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

How about this?
One point I'd stress about this topic, comfort and individual preferences.
Comfort, literal and psychological is paramount. If you are ill at ease in any sense, it will never work in your favour.
Preferences can evolve and grow, be prepared to experiment and sometimes even fail miserably too.
Learn what works for you and at the same time, ignore all else.
In the final analysis, whoever and whatever you care or "give a damn about" is up to you.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 am How about this?
One point I'd stress about this topic, comfort and individual preferences.
Comfort, literal and psychological is paramount. If you are ill at ease in any sense, it will never work in your favour.
Preferences can evolve and grow, be prepared to experiment and sometimes even fail miserably too.
Learn what works for you and at the same time, ignore all else.
In the final analysis, whoever and whatever you care or "give a damn about" is up to you.
Steve
The outfit looks good and you look at ease in it. There are time when some will say to others "that looks great" and not mean it. This is not one of those time. It suits you and you look happy. Rock on!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Last year I allowed myself order this amazing dress, which I am modelling here ( last Summer actually). IT reminds me of the outrageous camouflage paintjobs done to alter the appearance of Naval warships and disguise their real purpose.

I reckon a body like mine would qualify as an aircraft carrier and I have no intention of competing with Stevie,

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:33 pm Last year I allowed myself order this amazing dress, which I am modelling here ( last Summer actually). IT reminds me of the outrageous camouflage paintjobs done to alter the appearance of Naval warships and disguise their real purpose.
That's a really cool design. The asymmetry and material make it not directly look like a dress, very clever.

It suits you well.

Edit: Is there a way to save posts so you can easily find them again later?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:33 pm Last year I allowed myself order this amazing dress, which I am modelling here ( last Summer actually). IT reminds me of the outrageous camouflage paintjobs done to alter the appearance of Naval warships and disguise their real purpose.

I reckon a body like mine would qualify as an aircraft carrier and I have no intention of competing with Stevie,

Tom
That looks like a lovely dress and it fits you very well. I do hope you get to go out and about in it some day!!! :)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews