streetwear

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
keith

streetwear

Post by keith »

any recommendation for streetwear?
Layne

Re: streetwear

Post by Layne »

Just purchased one of the unaligned skirts from Skirtcraft and extremely happy with that purchase.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Layne, would you like to do a review? :D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Depends on what you mean by "streetwear". I presume that you are talking about skirt streetwear. Unfortunately if you ask any one of us Cafe members you will get a personal and individual answer. For me the skirt is just part of my wardrobe. Mainly above knee length A-line mainly solid block colour but I do have some micros for indoor and maxis for colder weather. Teamed up are mainly thick tights for winter, mainly black but dark purple and other colours also. I have some "women's" tops, spaghetti tops, vests, Ts. I have some heeled shoes that I wear indoors on occasion. I am open to other combinations but have a wife who critically vets what I wear and is against me wearing a skirt outdoors.

But I also wear trousers and jeans when I feel so inclined and don't feel that I am being a traitor to the cause in doing so. I also wear formal men's shirts and ties, shorts, jumpers and so on. Some of our patrons are skirts only. Some, such as denimini wear short skirts like me, some such as Moon wear longer, Carl likes longer down to floor sweepers and has a more Victorian or Edwardian taste. Dresses are making an entrance from stage left. I have my rather simple taste in them while others are a bit more flamboyant. Shoes are an acquired taste.

In the end we each have to find our particular style and if you look at the photos when you are able to then it will make more sense then. Read, learn, experiment and you will get there but have fun in the journey. Please, next time be a bit more particular and direct in your questions or you will get essays in return. Helpful, informative but essays nonetheless. Tell us more about yourself and your experiences and we will be in a better position to advise.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Layne

Post by Layne »

Grok wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 pm Layne, would you like to do a review? :D
I’d give it a try. Have worn it out a couple of times now (mall, grocery store, restaurant, airport) and got absolutely nothing but positive feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Layne wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:51 am
I’d give it a try. Have worn it out a couple of times now (mall, grocery store, restaurant, airport) and got absolutely nothing but positive feedback.
That is probably a perfect example of street wear.

Everyone is different, but wear whatever you're comfortable with for the setting (casual or more formal) is the answer to the question.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I wear skirts all of the time, I haven't worn pants (trousers) in almost 10 years now.
I find that what ever you like and it is any thing goes as far as the public goes. I also wear a dress now and then and mostly woman's tops.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Layne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:57 am Just purchased one of the unaligned skirts from Skirtcraft and extremely happy with that purchase.
I have a couple of those and I like them very much indeed. They're well tailored for the male shape, comfortable to wear, have lots of useful pockets and -- importantly -- my wife approves enough to let her friends see me in them ;-)

She recently pointed out a detail of certain other skirts which I'd been entirely unaware of. There's an example here, if the link hasn't disappeared: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seasalt-Wome ... 3621424077
The problem, she says, is the pleats at the front. I thought those were called darts, but I'd better let it pass. Apparently they give a feminine shape and thus send out all the wrong signals when worn by a man (or at any rate by me). Instead, she advises going for A-line skirts (not pencil), knee-length and definitely not mini. Of course, some of that may be because I'm no longer as young as I was....

It's often been pointed out here that a chunky belt helps to give a masculine look. But with skirts cut for women, I find it more or less essential to look for ones which have belt loops because a man's hips may not be wide enough to prevent an unbelted skirt from sliding slowly off.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, I see what she means about the pleats. I agree about the A-lines as I have lots of them and they look good on me. The only other option is the swing or skater skirt with its elasticated waist and wide ham. I wish that my wife would have the relaxed outlook to see that the public do not care what I wear. You are lucky in having a supportive wife.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:38 pm You are lucky in having a supportive wife.
Indeed I am. But it took her some time to work round to it. I began with utility kilts, which are indisputably masculine, if a little unconventional, and migrated to the Skirtcraft skirts as a next step. I think it was an easy next step -- you could argue that they are a bit like kilts but without the pleats. But she's also happy about my Purple Rain Adventure Skirts. I think they must qualify as A-line, though i don't quite understand how.