Wearing a skirt on Halloween?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing a skirt on Halloween?

Post by Brad »

I used to like Halloween as the one day each year that I can wear what I want without being questioned or judged. But now I feel like Halloween is "amateur day" and I would rather wear a skirt on the other 364 days of the year when wearing a skirt makes a statement.

I'm interested in your comments- do you wear a skirt or avoid wearing a skirt on Halloween?
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Wearing a skirt on Halloween?

Post by crfriend »

Brad wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:38 pmI'm interested in your comments- do you wear a skirt or avoid wearing a skirt on Halloween?
I'm expected at a Halloween party on Saturday, and I'll entirely likely wear something essentially similar to what I wear most other days -- a skirt of some random length and cut, a dress shirt, and a waistcoat. I'm strange-enough looking anyway that I ought to fit in.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I've got a skirt that just seems to scream "Halloween" with it's orange and black colors. I wear it once in a while, but it is rather bold for most occasions and I'm looking forward to giving it a run this weekend! It looks like we are going to be stuck in the Northwest US for another few weeks, so with the cold coming on I hit up my favorite skirt shop, Goodwill, this evening in hopes of scoring a couple of long warm skirts but not a one was to be had except a couple too colorful for fall weather and my present supply of shirts...the season is daunting at the moment!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

I have a Halloween costume that happens to include a skirt; its not an excuse to wear one, just a part of the costume and definitely not something I would wear at any other time.

Pics on Saturday....
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Since I wear skirts all of the time I will have one on for Halloween. Just like ant other day. 8)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I could wear a skirt at Halloween but it would only mean anything if I were to go to a social event. At the moment I have no plans. Anyway I would go further and attend in a full witch's dress complete with spider-web black patterned tights and black pointy hat, warts and all. And I have such a dress, tights .... :twisted:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Yes, but not because it's Halloween. It's another day spent on the right side of the sod and I want to live it happy. Just got two ground sweeper boho skirts in the past month and I'm waiting for them to dry. They spent yesterday hopefully getting the excess dye rinsed out of them. I did pull on my Morticia costume (black slinky top and mermaid skirt with long black wig basically) for my workplace's costume competition, but I'm sure if neither of my new skirts are dry, I'll go with either one of my pleather midis, knit black maxis or denim "fundie" stovepipes like the one I'm in today.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Out for a Halloween Beerfest tonight....supposed to be a Biker Witch.

Fell in with a bunch of goths who reckoned it was pretty cool.

The beer was a bit strong though at 5%...hic....
PA310089.JPG
No idea why it has f=gone sideways
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

As I wear skirts most of the time it would not be a novelty but ...........

There is a mini skirt for every occasion
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Here's what I'm wearing today.
DSCF6890s.jpg
One young woman friend said at church today, "I really like the print on ... that." It seems the word "skirt" didn't come to her! I replied how I liked the autumnal colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:53 pmOne young woman friend said at church today, "I really like the print on ... that." It seems the word "skirt" didn't come to her! I replied how I liked the autumnal colors.
That's cognitive dissonance coming to the fore. She could not bring herself to utter the word "skirt" because on a guy a skirt makes no sense (to many).

In any event, top marks on that one. The print with the purple shirt is brilliant!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi Bodycon, Here is your picture standing on your feet.
test skirt.JPG
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:07 pm Hi Bodycon, Here is your picture standing on your feet.
Thanks Fred, looks slightly better that way.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:07 pm Hi Bodycon, Here is your picture standing on your feet.
Oh, I thought he was flying above the broom.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The night before Halloween itself I went to a costume party of a younger set of whom I only knew the host, hostess and one of their friends. They LOVED my "Wonder Woman 1984" costume.

The next day was the Miata club's Cemetery Run. Both some of the drivers and the cars dress up. "Ginger" went as herself. Fair enough, about the only thing I could do to make Ginger look better is wash her more often, but that's an exercise in stupidity a this time of year in Oregon. I came in my other Wonder Woman costume (basically a leotard with an older version of WW's look). One of the longer-term members insisted it was the best costume she had ever seen at our annual Halloween event.

I walked away with the best costume prize.

The last time we had that event I went as a stewardess from the "Fly me" era. I don't think enough people got it; they just saw David in yet another one of his dresses, a hat and go-go boots. The prize went to a couple who looked like superannuated, over the hill hippies for their portrayal of Sonnie and Cher.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.