Casual styles making a feature of the skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Casual styles making a feature of the skirt

Post by nzfreestyler »

I really like the way a skirt can be made a feature of.
Women (most - not all) know or have a natural ability to coordinate some neat outfits/ensembles. I always look to how they pair elements together for inspiration - as well as shop windows etc.

this outfit works so well - it looks like its relaxed yet it also has a wow factor. Its all about the skirt, and the simple shoes and clutch don't detract from the skirt.

Here again the skirt and that gold belt are the key. A little pastel on the lips/shoes are pleasing but again that skirt just pops.

Ditto here - another metallic skirt. Just draws the eye. Basic shoes and a feature jacket. (in my opinion jackets are also wardrobe staples as they can so make an outfit and are really versatile with skirts.

I am definitely going to buy a metallic mini skirt. I think they are fabuluous.
NZF
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Casual styles making a feature of the skirt

Post by Bodycon »

Colour co-ordination, whether it be interior design, graphics or clothes, all follow the same basic rules of compliment or contrast; if you google "the colour wheel" you will find a few results to explain.

Picking from a couple of bold contrasting colours, then adding in a couple of complimentary colours is the starting point for a look, which is what is going on in your images.

Of course rules are meant to be broken and great looks can be obtained by clashing all sorts together. Judging by some of the images on this site, some folk don't have a clue and others have it to a T.

This isn't a natural ability that females have, just that they are taught and start experimenting with colour through fashion and makeup at an early age, where males generally don't. Take that as a challenge to catch up.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

In my mind, the images are great examples, not of color coordination, but using neutrals with only one notable color. The black, white, or metallics are all neutral, and won't clash with much. Keep to silver or gold tone, not both. Everything else is black and white (try not to put two different blacks or two different whites next to each other, they will not match), except for one color. First pic you add the green. The skirt has some other stuff in with the shiny but it's subtle. The second pic you have an orangy color in the shoes and makeup that matches close enough to work as one color so far apart. The third has the pink jacket.

This is a great approach starting out. Get a solid collection of stuff that is neutral and works together. Not to many statement pieces. Decide whether to go with black/white/grey or earth tones (probably more challenging), then stick with it till you have a solid foundation. Then the statement pieces, worn one at a time with your neutrals, will pop instead of clashing. And you can re-wear most neutrals regularly without comments about "didn't you just wear that the other day?". Probably can't re-wear the metallic skirts regularly, but a plain black skirt for sure. Other than that, it all applies.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

The second picture is my favorite of the three. A simple white top, paired with that eye catching black skirt. As for the shoes, I would've gone with basic black (smooth or patent), but that's just my preference.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

JeffB1959 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am The second picture is my favorite of the three. A simple white top, paired with that eye catching black skirt. As for the shoes, I would've gone with basic black (smooth or patent), but that's just my preference.
Yeah - perhaps a gold pump? The skirt is quite neat. Not too flared and the belt sets it off I think. Thats why I think a metallic gold shoe?
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

nzfreestyler wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am
JeffB1959 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am The second picture is my favorite of the three. A simple white top, paired with that eye catching black skirt. As for the shoes, I would've gone with basic black (smooth or patent), but that's just my preference.
Yeah - perhaps a gold pump? The skirt is quite neat. Not too flared and the belt sets it off I think. Thats why I think a metallic gold shoe?
Hmm! Metallic gold? Yes, I see what you’re getting at. How about silver to provide contrast with the black skirt?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Dust wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 am In my mind, the images are great examples, not of color coordination, but.......
I love this, you start off saying it isn't coordination, then describe exactly how it is coordination :lol:
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I agree with most of the basics noted about coordination and our extra burden in catching up with an art the ladies learned early, but a great set of legs sure helps! :D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The trouble is, nzf, is that I wouldn't have labelled those skirts "casual". More for evening wear. Casual is a loose, flowy cotton skirt, the denim, the chiffon but not the spangiy. I agree with other comments.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Bodycon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 pm
Dust wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 am In my mind, the images are great examples, not of color coordination, but.......
I love this, you start off saying it isn't coordination, then describe exactly how it is coordination :lol:
Okay, what I meant is, it's not color wheel stuff.