Clothes that Unite Us

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Clothes that Unite Us

Post by Ralph »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:00 pmFor the life of me I cannot see how discussing outsize bra sizes has anything to do with it.
Fair enough. I think I can follow the pattern of thread drift. We went from
These are clothes common to both men and women and not intrinsically meant for one sex or the other
to
These are clothes which are exceptions, in that they ARE intrinsically meant for only one sex (such as bras)
to
Why would a man need to wear a bra?
to
Some men do have noticeable breasts and are more comfortable wearing a bra.
to
It sure is hard to find a bra that fits.
to
Look at this survey showing how difficult even women have finding a bra that fits
to
My goodness, look at some of those outsize bra sizes!

That last one is on me, sorry!
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

bodycon, I would seriously disagree with your following statement:

"Women's knickers don't accommodate male genitals by design either, however many men wear them anyway."

I have many pairs of what would be called women's knickers and I have lots of styles from full to thongs and find that they accommodate my "package" very well and are so comfortable. I would reject any that I would find uncomfortable. I think that you just made an assumption that has little basis in fact.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I'm with Sinned on this one. Most of my knickers are what my friends derisively call "granny panties" - full-cut, high-waist, low-leg briefs that are rather like a big nylon sack around my groin.Because my waist is so much bigger than my hips (unlike the bodies these are usually designed for), that means that a comfortable fit around the waist leaves lots of room for air circulation and movement around the dangly bits - more so than I get with those awful men-tailored briefs.
Ralph!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:00 pm I thought the thread title was 'Clothes that unite us'

For the life of me I cannot see how discussing outsize bra sizes has anything to do with it.
Sorry, my fault, I've made the link somewhat less prominent.

To try to bring it all back on topic, I agree that that most types of clothing are worn by both men and women, but it does ignore the mass of variation.

One thing you can do with clothing is to emphasise elements of your body you like and de-emphasise parts you don't. This has more to do with aesthetics and body shape. I think it would be an improvement if clothing was advertised by body shape. If/when there are dresses marketed to men, I think women with the inverted-triangle body type will pounce on them.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:05 pm bodycon, I would seriously disagree with your following statement:

"Women's knickers don't accommodate male genitals by design either, however many men wear them anyway."

I have many pairs of what would be called women's knickers and I have lots of styles from full to thongs and find that they accommodate my "package" very well and are so comfortable. I would reject any that I would find uncomfortable. I think that you just made an assumption that has little basis in fact.
Ouch! I have been here 5mins and I am seriously disagreed with already..... :oops:

Perhaps if you re-read what I actually wrote you will disagree less seriously?

"by design" means that they are not designed for men, which is absolutely the case, as they are flat fronted and do not have any kind of bulge. I have also noted that many men wear them anyway, which they do, and many do so without issue, however they cannot be considered unisex, which is the point of the thread.

Please take the time to read a post and reply based on what is actually posted, not an interpretation of what is posted. :roll:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

bodycon, I still disagree with you. "by design" is utterly meaningless. Even the male knickers [0] I have, and wear, don't have any pouch to accommodate the male appendages so are similar in function to female ones. Male knickers can have "flat fronts" as well. In fact plain female knickers ( without frills and lace ) can be so similar to plain male ones as to be virtually identical. Also the materials are softer and more elastic thus making them more accommodating. Have you ever tried to wear female knickers on a daily basis, weekly, monthly as I, and others have? I don't really see much difference and find all that I have comfortable.

[0] I have male boxers, y-fronts, thongs, so again, a variety.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

If you buy women's full briefs they hold everything perfectly well. You can get plain ones in John Lewis and M&S that have no lace or pattern and are superficially indistinguishable from male briefs until you look at the label. They are made of thinner, softer material and I genuinely find them significantly more comfortable. They are also cheaper - 5 for £12 for the better quality ones. I have looked for male briefs this comfortable and failed to find any.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Reminds me of an elevator that has just got stuck at the underwear department. Please ............ going up .......... next floor.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Grace Brothers - superb series, full of innuendo and stereotypes. But still so funny. And typically English humour.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:17 pm Grace Brothers - superb series, full of innuendo and stereotypes. But still so funny. And typically English humour.
Heh, that was my first thought too. As kids were were forbidden to watch that show - it was available on PBS I think.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Ralph wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:08 pm Also, why is AA smaller than A (guessing based on its leftmost position on the chart) but all the other double-letters are larger than their single-letter counterparts?

[EDIT] found the answer to my last question, at least. Because "A" was created as the absolute smallest possible cup size, but then retailers found customers who don't really need to wear a bra wanting a bra sized for a smaller-than-A chest. Since there are no letters lower than A they used AA. Seems to me they could have used "0" to be more clear how that size relates to all the other sizes, but nobody consulted me.
Why would anybody need to wear a bra if the cup size was AA? I guess women, no matter how flat chested they are, are expected to wear bras.
Then you see old geezers like myself who really need.to wear bras don't because with our weird conventions men don't wear bras.

John