Rethinking Lingerie....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rethinking Lingerie....

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Nylon seems to work for me as to hot or cold temps. I find it very comfortable in my area the central Savannah River Area of South Carolina.

As for a cooling suit check out what NASCAR and NASA use.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I found some plain cotton "shirt extenders" on Amazon which are basically a soft (very) mini-skirt. They're comfortable to wear under a regular skirt to smooth things out, especially if the fabric might pick up sweat or cling a bit. And you can still be regimental, as it were.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:35 pm
What type of material works best for you, where you live :?:
Air works best.

I used to have skin irritation much of the time in the groin area. When I switched to skirts with pure air underwear I don't have the problem anymore.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Hesitated for a long time before posting on this one, but here goes.....

It's great to get the direction from the mods earlier in this post about the "fetish" angle - I plan to keep well clear of that :-)

Many women, my wife included, have "day to day" underwear and "special" underwear, the latter paired with ones best togs that are worn for those occasions when you want to dress to the nines. If my wife is all dressed up, she's not going to want to ware some Asda (Walmart) Essentials underwear. I don't know what it is like for others on here, but for me I just have a collection of undercrackers and for a special event I'm likely to wear a newer pair rather than an older pair, but I certainly don't have undies to match my social calendar. And maybe I'm missing a trick there and I should?

Given that all of us on here have come to the conclusion that we shouldn't be hampered by current social norms when it comes to the likes of skits, dresses, blouses etc., I don't see why this mindset shouldn't also extend to underwear (though I totally accept that discussing it on this forum has to be handled with tact and delicacy). Getting back to the original post, there are now many companies that make underwear for guys that make use of lace and silk and have cuts that go beyond the normal boxer or brief. Unfortunately, many are marketed as being "sexy" and I think that's a shame. I think there is (or should be) a space in the market for "posh" / best going out undies for guys.

Whilst you could argue that there is no place in a male wardrobe for a bra, I think that this view could be challenged (not something I wear personally, just my thoughts on the matter). Certainly some guys have moobs that could justify needing support (or coverage) :-) But I also think that the shoulder strap brings something to some outfits (though it can also look trashy in some situations). A look I love on women (one that I would like to emulate some day) is the sheer / translucent / lace shirt with a cami underneath (maybe using something like this as a starting point, but not the use of "sexy" again). I just like the effect of the shoulders and arms being visible under the material, but the body not. In my teens and early twenties I had a number of semi-opaque shirts - don't seem to see them around much for guys these days.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I do wear women's briefs beneath my skirts and dresses. Can't bring myself to wear anything else as I don't sport so much as a stitch of men's attire on my outings, and that includes underwear.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

While I fully appreciate some members’ total aversion to wearing a Bra, I highly recommend wearing ‘Bralettes’ instead.

These are more akin to a crop-top, but as underwear. Typically, they don’t have rear clasps (as Bras do) - although some do have clasps (but are still called Bralettes). They are much more comfortable to wear, and more ‘male oriented’, compared to wearing a Bra

They can vary as lace bralettes, or slightly padded (not moulded) bralettes, and are are sold in wired and non-wired versions.

During the lockdown era here in the UK, Women have been buying/wearing them at home rather than Bras.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

A bra is a bra? I don't know that a bralette is less feminine?
Anyhow - if someone needs or wants to wear a bra - its no big deal.

that said there are new dresses out now - blazer dresses - like an oversized double breasted jacket but worn as a dress - with a matching bralette.
Quite a cool clash of a formal structured jacket with a casual bralette look.

cheers
NZF
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

jamodu wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 am While I fully appreciate some members’ total aversion to wearing a Bra, I highly recommend wearing ‘Bralettes’ instead.
Why wear one? My wife hates them and hasn't worn one for years. If it turns you on, fine, but that's not what this "cafe" is about.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Jim wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:23 amIf it turns you on, fine, but that's not what this "cafe" is about.
I object to your reaction to my comments. Like many on this forum, I do not wear any of the clothes that are available from the other side the aisle for sexual gratification.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

jamodu wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:51 pm
Jim wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:23 amIf it turns you on, fine, but that's not what this "cafe" is about.
I object to your reaction to my comments. Like many on this forum, I do not wear any of the clothes that are available from the other side the aisle for sexual gratification.
Sorry you object, but that was a conditional "if" statement so if the antecedent is false it doesn't apply to you. Then please answer my question, "Why wear one?" That is my point as my wife and I both feel they are ugly and uncomfortable.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:00 pm Then please answer my question, "Why wear one?" That is my point as my wife and I both feel they are ugly and uncomfortable.
Jim, that question can also be applied to men wearing skirts. I used to have "good" reasons for wearing a mini skirt, saying they are more comfortable and cooler in summer. As I got reluctant to give them up in winter I gave up rationalising and now just say "That is what I like to wear".
I am sure that would apply to jamodu's choice of garments.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

denimini wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:27 pmJim, that question can also be applied to men wearing skirts. I used to have "good" reasons for wearing a mini skirt, saying they are more comfortable and cooler in summer. As I got reluctant to give them up in winter I gave up rationalising and now just say "That is what I like to wear".
I am sure that would apply to jamodu's choice of garments.
Well, yes and no. Dresses, skirts, or even silk knickers are designed for comfort and/or fashion, with the occasional practical benefit thrown in as an afterthought (such as pockets). There is no "reason" for anyone to wear those things other than personal preference.

A bra, on the other hand, exists specifically for the purpose of containing the uppermost bulges of flesh on the chest. I don't believe I have ever met a woman who voluntarily wore one purely for the comfort or aesthetic value; it's just a necessary evil to keep her breasts from flopping or bouncing too much. So if one does not have such an excess of orbs that they must be contained, a bra worn does not fulfill its one stated purpose.

This is not to denigrate anyone who wears a bra for whatever reason! Certainly if one is attempting to look/feel more authentically female with artificial breasts, a bra is an absolute necessity; there are also a small handful of men whose "man-boobs" need additional support. But to suggest that the reason for wearing a bra is the same as wearing a skirt seems disingenuous to me, suggesting that just as many people wear a bra for comfort and fashion as those who wear a skirt.
Ralph!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I've worn a bra for nearly a decade, and I passed the pencil test for a bra way back then so I did need to wear a bra back then and still do. Without going into my sizings - I do have average sized breasts and I am natural not implants.

I wear a bra for 2 separate reasons
1. I get sore if I am not supported and I am a bit active - evening walking can be tiring, going down stairs is a bit hard on me.
2. Accentuating what I have - in different ways for different occasions.

and because I choose to wear a bra it really becomes ALL about No 2 Accentuation.

So bras are about self confidence - and women I talk to about lingerie etc feel the same - bras are for us - for our confidence and self esteem. We do like our bras/panties and its important to match. We talk about lingerie a lot.

From my experience I would much rather wear a bra - even an ugly unflattering bra - than be entirely without. It is nicer to have some support - but that said I will not wear the most supportive bras because they feel so restricitve and don't look nice. So the aesthetics apply and in my case my goto style is almost always balconette/demi because I like how I look in them and I still get moderate support. Not anywhere near enough support for anything much active - but then I accept that because I won't compromise how I look.

The size of our breasts is immaterial - there is a massive range of bra sizes - many smaller band/cup sizes too - and bra designs change as you go up your bra sizes. Smaller bras are mostly focused on boosting size or contouring because that is what the wearer wants. . Its really more about aesthetics and self confidence and projecting the image you want to.

Bras are very akin to high heels in many ways. (from a wearers perspective)

NZF
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Ralph, I think you misunderstood what I was saying (or trying to say as obviously I failed); people shouldn't feel the need to justify wearing anything. The skirt was an example of me giving up justifying my choice. Jamodo shouldn't feel obliged to justify wearing a bralette, whatever the reason.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

denimini wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:18 am Ralph, I think you misunderstood what I was saying (or trying to say as obviously I failed); people shouldn't feel the need to justify wearing anything. The skirt was an example of me giving up justifying my choice. Jamodo shouldn't feel obliged to justify wearing a bralette, whatever the reason.
No, that wasn't clear. Thank you for explaining, and I fully agree with that.
Ralph!