Rethinking Lingerie....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Rethinking Lingerie....

Post by SkirtsDad »

UPDATED 2022-11-08

I stumbled across this site that is producing "unmentionables" for men and at same trying to rebrand them in order to put them into the realms of mainstream (except the price, as usual!!). I wish them luck.

www (dot) mootlingerie (dot) com/blogs/moot-blog/losing-our-lingerie :arrow: :arrow:
:arrow: :arrow: BROKEN LINK - NOW DISABLED

Is the worm beginning to turn perhaps?
Last edited by SkirtsDad on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rethinking Lingerie....

Post by JohnH »

Personally I don't go for the dainty stuff that costs more money. I regard underwear as something functional.
Underpants keep the crotch from being chafed by the wedge of cloth trousers have.
And in my case a plain bra keeps my chest mounds from swinging to and fro.
But if someone wants to blow money on fancy dainty lingerie more power to him/her. After all, why should men be denied the pleasure of dainty lingerie if that floats their boat?

John
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

A few random thoughts...
First, I don't think this will go mainstream any time soon. The photos immediately screamed out to me, "fetish wear!" Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind, but not something you'll likely see at Walmart any time soon.

The other thing that struck me was the emphasis on thongs. I don't know how people of either sex can stand to have a bit of string wedged up into their arse. Give me full briefs, please, that won't ride up or constrict my dangly bits. I do prefer the softer feel of nylon or silk, but I'm happy with the cheap stuff from Walmart and Amazon.
Ralph!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I second the idea of full briefs to contain my male junk.

John
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Fancy frilly lacy bum detailed colorful Fruit of Victoria's Secret Loom may need a supporting clause in the contract with what hangs from the vine.
Men wearing skirts dresses has been around for awhile - and so too the lingerie delicates hidden away in that same closet.
Something not for everyone - - -
Only thing about unmentionables is that for the most part they are the unseeables -
oh OK there is the accidental (intentional ?) exposure of sorts.

But it is only under(wear) worn under there and can be sexy when worn with a wink of the eye and a lapse of decent cover.

Jockey it is not for riding horses anymore -
Hanes (get your hands off) is made in more than her way -
Really with the micro fiber seamless fabrics just itching (not) to envelope one in a cozy cocoon of luxury -

All this reminds me that I need to do laundry with due diligent care that delicates deserve.

Something wicked this way comes that soothes the savage beast - - - it is unmentionable !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I am probably in a minority on this site as in addition to wearing skirts and dresses as a male in public I also fully crossdress in public. Though I enjoy presenting as a woman I am just acting - at no point do I identify as a woman. I have also been on crossdressing sites but have left - for a lot of guys it is ALL about lingerie and the more feminine the better but as far as I can figure these guys want to wear clothes that are made for women, not versions of these clothes made for men. For me, I am all about the skirts and dresses and the underwear is just to make these look good and make me feel comfortable. So smooth, unpadded bras (when these are worn) and simple full briefs with no lace - a very uncomfortable fabric. For some reason the cut of women's full briefs feels more comfortable for me and the material is thinner which I prefer. You can buy suitable briefs like this very easily and fairly cheaply in M&S and John Lewis. So I don't think there is a market for this stuff - it is too feminine for men who just want to wears skirts and not feminine enough (simply because it is made for men) for the guys who especially want to wear women's clothes. There was a company a few years ago that marketed lingerie to men but I haven't heard of it in some time.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

rivegauche wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:49 amI have also been on crossdressing sites but have left - for a lot of guys it is ALL about lingerie and the more feminine the better
Quite right. Every site I visited eventually devolved into discussions about "how many panties do you have?" with answers numbering in the hundreds. I'm sure we can all appreciate the benefits of having more delicate fabrics against our more delicate bits, but at some point you cross the line from comfort/functional to obsession. Don't even get me started about the responses that include detailed photos of said bits bulging out of said knickers. I suppose I can't criticise - I certainly have my own peculiar behaviours! - but it's just not my cup of taffeta.

Likewise, most crossdressing-themed sites have a number of members (no pun intended, haha) who care only that the clothing they wear comes from across the aisle. Give them two identical shirts, one marketed to men and one marketed to women (buttons on the left), and out of principle they will choose the one marketed to women just for the sake of only wearing "women's" clothes. Again, I can understand how important that might be to someone who is seeking to align their internal gender identity with their external presentation, but it's not what I'm about so I, too, leave those sites after a few weeks of learning the prevailing attitudes.
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:17 pm
rivegauche wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:49 amI have also been on crossdressing sites but have left - for a lot of guys it is ALL about lingerie and the more feminine the better
Quite right. Every site I visited eventually devolved into discussions about "how many panties do you have?" with answers numbering in the hundreds. I'm sure we can all appreciate the benefits of having more delicate fabrics against our more delicate bits, but at some point you cross the line from comfort/functional to obsession.
Why does anybody think that there isn't reason behind the discouragement of what we gird our loins with here? It's there for a reason.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:17 pm Quite right. Every site I visited eventually devolved into discussions about "how many panties do you have?" with answers numbering in the hundreds.
Which is why [to my understanding] such discussions are generally frowned upon here to the point where I've seen the mod hat come out.

It's an easy rule to abide by.
Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:17 pm Give them two identical shirts, one marketed to men and one marketed to women (buttons on the left), and out of principle they will choose the one marketed to women just for the sake of only wearing "women's" clothes.
I'm guilty of that... though in fairness, women's tee shirts do have smaller cut arm lengths and the lower hems are usually a little higher cut, terminating around the hips area, whereas men's tee shirts can go down to your upper legs and beyond in some cases.

I don't like shirts that are too long, and I like the cuter feminine arm hole cuts on ladies tee's so I always opt for the "womens" when buying a simple tee shirt too.

And underwear aside, "feminine" is not a dirty word in my vocabulary... I have no issues referring to myself as somewhat "feminine" or girly at times. I can be feminine or masculine just like anyone else, I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit it.

There is virtue in both masculinity and femininity, and I think a certain balance of both is healthy in everyone.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Best way to describe WHY we don't post about "Things" ;)
Intelligence is like 2021-07-07.jpg
:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

The site did have a nice colourful range of stay-ups and fishnet tights, but no-one seems to have picked up on that. My take on it was that essentially they are trying to normalise clothing that has either been associated with women or the fetish world, and that in-order to do so they are attempting to rebrand it to counterbalance its former associations. This is not that unlike, to my mind, redefining a skirt as "hiking kilt" or whatever. I found it encouraging that there are others out there trying to remove the stigmas that reduce our clothing choice freedom.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:29 pm
Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:17 pm Give them two identical shirts, one marketed to men and one marketed to women (buttons on the left), and out of principle they will choose the one marketed to women just for the sake of only wearing "women's" clothes.
I'm guilty of that...

... "feminine" is not a dirty word in my vocabulary... I have no issues referring to myself as somewhat "feminine" or girly at times. I can be feminine or masculine just like anyone else, I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit it.
I think this is an interesting point... it makes me think, would I want to wear a skirt designed for men? Unisex, probably; man-skirt, I'm not so sure. Amongst the complexities of why I choose certain clothing is a desire to distance myself from the Neanderthal (aka "toxic masculinity"). If I were to wear a man's skirt then where does that put me?

N.b. I think this was more of a stream of consciousness than a thought out argument. Hopefully you get my drift
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Their stuff is certainly not aimed at people like me, that's for sure. I won't come knocking at their door anytime soon.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:29 pm ... "feminine" is not a dirty word in my vocabulary... I have no issues referring to myself as somewhat "feminine" or girly at times. I can be feminine or masculine just like anyone else, I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit it.
Feminine and masculine should be prefixed with "conventionally" as away from currrent conventions the terms are meaningless.
If being sensitive, speaking quietly, walking lightly, liking cheerful colours, patterns and frills are all considered feminine, well I am happy to be called that.
[/quote]
SkirtsDad wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:56 am I think this is an interesting point... it makes me think, would I want to wear a skirt designed for men? Unisex, probably; man-skirt, I'm not so sure. Amongst the complexities of why I choose certain clothing is a desire to distance myself from the Neanderthal (aka "toxic masculinity"). If I were to wear a man's skirt then where does that put me?
I think you are spot on there. Even the term "man skirt" makes me shudder, imagining stomping around saying uggg. Sort of ...... making a good garment appealing to the very thing we are trying to escape from.
Anyone can wear any skirt.

As for lingerie, anyone can wear that too as long as it is compatible with the anatomy it is applied to. Just a fancy name for fancy underwear.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I wear a bra everyday, and matching brief/panty depending on your country.

I agree with most sentiments thus far but I would add that I actually quite like detailed lingerie and ornamentation too. I always match my sets and I appreciate quality and finer fabrics/tulles and laces. I really like handmade lace.

Similar to JohnH I have breasts - I can go braless but prefer not to, a nice demi/balconette bra looks and feels good. I feel more confident in nice underwear - and I'm not going to show it off intentionally - its just better under my clothes. I want to wear something functional that will make my body look good too, so the details, fabrics and the shape/cut of lingerie is very important to me - or any wearer.

I think if anyone wants to wear lingerie then why can't they. I do wonder why wear a bra if you don't have breasts, a bra is not the most cvomfortable thing in summer! Trust me. Otherwise there are so many styles from bodies/camis/briefs/bras/suspenders/teddies etc to choose from, there's something to suit everyone.

NZF