Rethinking Lingerie....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rethinking Lingerie....

Post by Chirp »

Most people go with what underwear fits well and is comfortable to wear. The styles will very person to person.
what side of the isle in the store don't mater. Women have for years been picking and choosing what to wear under for
many reasons. Be it comfort to not showing lines with very thin skirt or pants to having straps and color peeking out,
Just like a skirt comes in many styles and fabrics. Underwear do as well. Whatever works works,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 am
It's a bit of a "science experiment". I'm trying to ascertain whether a balance can be struck between a practical question that occasionally crops up and the "Iron Fist" rule.

Styles have definitely changed over the years, and I don't really think for the better. It's dovetailed with what I've witnessed in the political/sociological context over the past several decades as well.

The main thing is that I do not want to see the "discussion" either go off on a wild fantasy tangent or take over the forum -- and I have seen the topic rip apart USENET groups in the past. Neither of those outcomes would be good for The Skirt Cafe.

Thank you Carl! I feel what you are doing IS timely and the way you are doing it is just right.

My comments were meant to point out how lingerie can assist one in keeping his outward appearance modest, discreet and acceptable.

So, as Carl was suggesting, if anyone else has any additional thoughts on the practical applications of lingerie, they're probably germane and acceptable. Just keep them clean.
Well, on the topic of lingerie, I’ve never mentioned this on my own thread, but, I wear full slips under my fall/winter dresses to prevent static cling, and to help present a clean, smoother profile.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:58 am
It's a bit of a "science experiment". I'm trying to ascertain whether a balance can be struck between a practical question that occasionally crops up and the "Iron Fist" rule.

Styles have definitely changed over the years, and I don't really think for the better. It's dovetailed with what I've witnessed in the political/sociological context over the past several decades as well.

The main thing is that I do not want to see the "discussion" either go off on a wild fantasy tangent or take over the forum -- and I have seen the topic rip apart USENET groups in the past. Neither of those outcomes would be good for The Skirt Cafe.

Thank you Carl! I feel what you are doing IS timely and the way you are doing it is just right.

My comments were meant to point out how lingerie can assist one in keeping his outward appearance modest, discreet and acceptable.

So, as Carl was suggesting, if anyone else has any additional thoughts on the practical applications of lingerie, they're probably germane and acceptable. Just keep them clean.
Well, on the topic of lingerie, I’ve never mentioned this on my own thread, but, I wear full slips under my fall/winter dresses to prevent static cling, and to help present a clean, smoother profile.
I think of slips by one of their other names "underskirts" as that is all they really are. They are very useful in adding warmth in cold weather; and allowing you to wear light, and semi sheer fabrics without looking like an anatomy chart. Also valuable in allowing you to often get more wearings out of a skirt before it needs laundering.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:54 am
JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:58 am

I think of slips by one of their other names "underskirts" as that is all they really are. They are very useful in adding warmth in cold weather; and allowing you to wear light, and semi sheer fabrics without looking like an anatomy chart. Also valuable in allowing you to often get more wearings out of a skirt before it needs laundering.
Not many skirts or dresses come with built in linings these days, so a slip (or half slip for skirts) can be beneficial.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I always wear a slip with a dress. It prevents the dress clinging when wearing tights. In summer it provides a cooler layer against the skin and absorbs moisture to keep the dress fresher than it otherwise might become.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I don’t know if this falls under the category of lingerie, but, I’ve recently taken up sleeping in nightgowns. I mean, they are non-bifurcated garments after all, and the satiny fabric is cool and comfortable against my skin on those sticky summer nights, much moreso than t-shirts and boxers. I’ve been at this for a couple of weeks now and I’m hooked on nightgowns, they’re fun to wear, I can’t imagine sleeping in anything else. When winter rolls around, I’ll switch to heavy cotton or flannel which should be enjoyable while keeping me warm on December or January nights.