Rethinking Lingerie....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rethinking Lingerie....

Post by Sinned »

As to the TH underwear, why would a man wear a bralet when he has nothing to put in it? [0] The knickers seem the same.

The reason for the price difference could be difference in manufacturing cost and the volume of production. There are differences between the garments hence separate production processes but they may expect to sell a lot more of the "female" version. That may not account for all the difference - the rest may be due to men being prepared to pay the extra thinking that the materials may be thicker or it is better quality. Thus although they may seem to be similar you may not actually be comparing like for like.

[0] Rhetorical question - there are lots of reasons but you can work them out for yourself.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:43 pm Years ago a (female) friend showed up wearing a light jacket that I liked a lot. It was just the right weight to keep out the wind on a cool-but-not-cold day, a silky polyester microfibre that felt nice against the skin, pullover style so there were no buttons or zippers to worry about, and nice deep pockets.

I looked it up on the company's website, and found they had an identical version for men and women - with the trivial exceptions being zippers on the pockets of the women's version, and a drawstring waist for women vs. a ribbed cuff waist for the men. I think the women's version had a wider variety of colours, too.

Now I know when two items are identical a lot of my brothers have a strong preference to buy the one that has a "women's" label on it, just for the psychological boost, and I've no quarrel with that. Personally don't care: If it serves the intended purpose well, fits well, feels comfortable, and (least important) is pleasing to my eye, it makes no difference to me who the intended market was. However, there was one other difference between the two styles: The women's version was literally half the price of the men's version. WHY???

XXXXX

Differences maybe not so evident:

Hem length is shorter for female version fitting at waist - men's at hips - less material costs less
Hem is tunnel waist closing on female - men's cuff sperate extra material*** less sewing time
*** wrist cuffs ? same material ?
Zippered pockets maybe smaller in size depth function
Colors maybe deceiving - different fabrics pastels lighter weight
Are both jackets lined with the same lining

Just some of the obvious overlooked construction elements
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Having some introvert type tendencies, I happily wear skirts in public, but tend to stick with my Midas cargo skirts, skirts made for men. I never really thought about if there was any difference apart from the LH or RH zip.
On a skirted visit to Rothesay I popped into a shop to buy a breakfast. The woman working behind the counter instantly said that the skirt was made for a man, cut differently due to the different body shape. It turned out she was an ex-seamstress. So there is a definite difference between a genuine man's skirt and an wimminses skirt.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:37 pm I wear garments of any type sold on the other side of the aisle and I wear garments from our side of the aisle. I mix and match as I see fit. I'll leave it up to you to make any inferences. My wife has an inconsistent view of what I wear. Women's tops/trousers/otherwear without complaint and will readily buy them for me. But skirts ( she has bought them for me in the past ) seem to be in a category of their own. Also she has given me some of her own dresses that she can't or would no longer wear ( but that was a year or two ago ) but I don't have the confidence of her current acceptance so don't wear them. Just on the site quoted at the beginning, no, I wouldn't be interested. I think that we should call a halt on this thread.

Sinned, I have noticed this inconsistent view with my wife also. We both bought matching Christmas season turtle neck tops from the women's department. She lets me wear the women's cotton socks we bought at Costco.
She was present and picked them out.

One time she bought me a pair of jeans from Aldi s clearly there is no way you can confuse 18 w on the tag with 38. Later she denied getting the women's jeans for me.

But when it comes to skirts and dresses, she sees red.
And don't want to have any thing to do with me/ them.

The Others: regarding lingerie

I wear practical women's clothing.

I don't wear blouses, bra's or tops, (only exception, just the Christmas themed turtle necks)

A Majority of lingerie I feel falls into a non practical category for a multitude of reasons. Certainly Not my cup of tea.

I don't care for lace, emblished, flouncy, floaty, delicate things. That risk getting torn in a rough and tumble world. My clothes are practical and durable.

The least practical are my tartan kilts. Pleat care sucks, and dryclean only sucks.
I don't think I ever would have bought the kilts for me, except I got them to try and please her by wearing a man's skirt.

I refuse to go regimental, or el natural at any time.
I choose to wear cotton underwear. Which just happen to be sold on both sides of the aisle.

I don't wear a traditional slip under my tartan kilts. I have never been a real fan of the synthetic fabrics. I will wear a light weight skirt under my kilt, to add a additional layer of protection to help keep my kilt clean.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have bought capped sleeve plain tops from Matalan that were displayed in the women's section. I have other women's tops that have been bought for me. My grand-daughter even bought me a one with florals. I take each top on its merits before deciding whether to wear it out or not. I like to think that I have a rather middle-road sense of fashion though it may be considered off-centre to more traditional folk.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

There is a market for everything.
Sure some people will buy there products. But there prices are out to lunch,
That seems to be the trend, Company makes a skirt for men its 3 times price of much the same women's skirt,
So same trend in bra's and panties for men, jack price so high.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Chirp wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 pm There is a market for everything.
Sure some people will buy there products. But there prices are out to lunch,
That seems to be the trend, Company makes a skirt for men its 3 times price of much the same women's skirt,
So same trend in bra's and panties for men, jack price so high.
Bras for men? I wonder if they stock ones with DD size cups (my cup size) ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

John
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:51 pm This discussion makes me wonder... do many people actually wear lingerie as actual underwear [as in, under their normal clothes], because when I think of such items, I always imagined they were more or less for adult carnal pleasures, and not normally worn under clothes.
I'll be honest, I do mix and match both masculine and feminine underwear, depending on my mood but yes I do wear lingerie as standard a lot of the time, it actually amazes me the stubbornness of men not to wear something nice or even soft, male ego's are more delicate than any lingerie 😆. Sports men wear silky shorts and leggings but are scared to death of wearing silk boxershorts or tights, God we're dumb 😏

The only other thing I'd say is good lingerie is something were you tend to pay more for less, lol.
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Epiceneguy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:46 pmThe only other thing I'd say is good lingerie is something where you tend to pay more ........ for less :lol:
Ain't that the TRUTH :!: :rofl:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I no-longer own any male unmentionables My undies drawer is full of nice silky nylon briefs. :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I think if I were to dig I could find some old men's boxer briefs though, to be honest, most of the boxer briefs I have are actually from a unisex underwear line and I have the matching bras to go with those boxer briefs. The rest of the underwear collection is regular women undies that I wear every day.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Yes, I do think Lingerie needs to be re-thought about but,
this thread is getting VERY CLOSE to crossing THE LINE
and being shut down.

Let's Not Cross That Line :!:

PLEASE :?:

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

There is a line to be crossed here - lingerie ?

Heck I thought it was crossing the aisle !

Only in the eye of the beholder is the thought of posting unmentionables that should be mentioned
Don't be that guy !

Skirting around the bush keep the underbrush covered from exposure

What so proudly we hail - WAIT - that is not appropriate in this regard

What you have no decency - caution UA still has a strong swing of a shillelagh !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Please understand that we don't want this thread to devolve into a "Fetish" concept thread.
As long as it is kept civil, there should be no problem. But, if the thread starts into the
"Fetish" realm, it will be locked or deleted.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

From a technical point of view, when it comes to material(cloth) used to create
these "items", the primary cloth is cotton, followed by nylon and lastly silk. I've
tried the silk and it is so much hotter that I can't keep cool. So, I avoid silk.
I've had a pair of Long-John's made from silk and they really keep me warm in
cold weather. They are lighter weight than cotton.

For normal use, I prefer nylon over cotton. But anything that retains body heat,
is not good for where I live. Micro-fiber is good as it is cooler than cotton and
has much better stretch(give and take) when moving around. I've tried some
made with bamboo threads and it moves quite well, and is cool, like nylon.
Doesn't bind or pinch like some materials.

In really hot weather, I prefer a material that has fast-wicking tendencies.
Trapped moisture is bad for the skin. Keeping the moisture down is better and
cooler for my hot climate. You know, 9 months of summer, 1 month each of fall,
winter and spring.

Seeing the perspiration through a dress shirt is, to me, not a good sight.
Something needs to be done to help protect our outer clothes from our
natural body moisture. You know it's really hot when perspiration affects
all of the outer clothes one wears.

Maybe someone needs to invent a 'cooling suit' of underclothes to help
in hot weather. I know there is heated underclothes but that only works
for really cold weather/locations.

What type of material works best for you, where you live :?:

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician