woke

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

woke

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: woke

Post by moonshadow »

Woke

A silly phrase.

It's nap time... go to sleep.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 amIt's nap time... go to sleep.
I didn't bother to waste the time watching it. If it was good, it would have rated some commentary -- hopefully cogent.

I will say this, though: It's not a term I'm particularly fond of.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It is totally stupid!!! I wasted my time watching it... :x
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:39 am
moonshadow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 amIt's nap time... go to sleep.
I didn't bother to waste the time watching it. If it was good, it would have rated some commentary -- hopefully cogent.

I will say this, though: It's not a term I'm particularly fond of.
Yeah, I think the word is meant to imply that the "woke person" is on the "right [left] side" of social justice issues.

I'm all about treating people as I'd like to be treated, but this "woke" thing is complete b.s.

People ain't woke. They're just as authoritarian as the people they protest against. They command allegiance to their pet causes and ostracize you if you don't comply.

Their minds are just as made up, and like their far right counterparts, they too seem to know everything.

I've been in the company of "woke" people, and upon opening my mouth, I find I am no longer welcome in their circle either.

That Manly Hall lecture I posted kinda sorta goes into some of this (In a 1950s context), I'm a little bummed it didn't generate any feedback. That's too bad, but I understand Hall's style isn't for everyone.

Nevertheless, I think he talks with a lot more sense than the proverbial vomit I have to endure coming out of social media and modern culture in general these days...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

It's actually SNL taking the piss out of the wokesters with a fake "Levi's" ad.
I thought SNL used to be ultra woke, is the tide turning?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I've got the link to the Manly Hall link to watch and I will when I have an hour or so to spare.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

pleated wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 pm It's actually SNL taking the piss out of the wokesters with a fake "Levi's" ad.
I thought SNL used to be ultra woke, is the tide turning?
I doubt it. I feel like the pc police of yesteryear are the woke police of today - with the exception that people are actually losing their jobs over stuff (not to be dismissive of some egregious conduct which merits dismissal) that was said years ago and no longer reflects on the person at 16 who uttered/wrote those words.

Don’t get me wrong - I’ve never done/said anything that would put me in their crosshairs - yet. It just takes the wind to shift a bit before other types of speech are verboten.

I do wonder if this type of fad is cyclical, and again, it would be useful to know a bit of history to understand how society has morphed from one outrage to another.

At the end of the day I respect my fellow human, and ask them to the same. Is that too hard?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pmI feel like the pc police of yesteryear are the woke police of today - with the exception that people are actually losing their jobs over stuff (not to be dismissive of some egregious conduct which merits dismissal) that was said years ago and no longer reflects on the person at 16 who uttered/wrote those words.
It's the same cast of characters, or at the very least the same type of characters involved. See "blind obedience". Either conform or be cast out. Such is what we seem to be living in now, and I can safely say that it grates badly on this old man.
At the end of the day I respect my fellow human, and ask them to the same. Is that too hard?
Indeed, at the end of the day, that's what it should be about. Unfortunately, the world of PC (Political Correctness) isn't a world of shades of grey, it's either "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!" which smacks altogether too much of overt authoritarianism. (See "blind obedience".)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:39 am
Pretty typical Saturday Night Live act. Sometimes I'm in the mood for this sort of silliness and sometimes I'm not.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 pm
Coder wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pmI feel like the pc police of yesteryear are the woke police of today - with the exception that people are actually losing their jobs over stuff (not to be dismissive of some egregious conduct which merits dismissal) that was said years ago and no longer reflects on the person at 16 who uttered/wrote those words.
It's the same cast of characters, or at the very least the same type of characters involved. See "blind obedience". Either conform or be cast out. Such is what we seem to be living in now, and I can safely say that it grates badly on this old man.
The word "cult" comes to mind...