Earthbound Trading Unisex Dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Earthbound Trading Unisex Dress

Post by Faldaguy »

It is hardly any shorter than many in this forum wear; and it looks like it would be a great walking/hiking garment with the slits giving lots of leg freedom and breeze. The top fits without having to wear a "wife-beater" top to get your arms out for the more strenuous or hot weather outing. I have wrap skirts that carry greater risk of exposure than this would. The bleak color does not grab me, but there is some functionality there.

Moon,
your wrote:
by moonshadow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:46 am

Let's see 'em make a flat chested ball gown... to the floor, and call it unisex.

That'll impress me.

And I'm still on the hunt for a proper swimdress that fits my upper half... they can even call it "womens" if they want.
Why would you want a swim-dress? Women have been balking at the top cover/harness for decades and just beginning to get free of that in some places. I suppose if you want to hide your body or just make a flashy show for fashion, a swim dress may be the item -- but frankly, I think clothing and swimming are counterproductive -- eh Jim?
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

A swim dress would be for covering up. Growing up in a place with lots of sun I would actually prefer it to the alternative, which is swimming in a t-shirt. Though I guess sunscreen has gotten a lot better since that message was invented. These days I guess people mostly go for the full bodysuits (also good against the jellyfish). And if you look at the choices in the men's department for those you have black, black, and the other kind of black. Grrr....
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Trying to get a swim dress or one-piece costume that isn't designed to accommodate the float bags isn't easy. Bikinis are much more accommodating in this respect as they can be purchased as separates. I go in other direction when on holiday in a hot country - the thong ( which are exclusively from the other side of the aisle ). I am what I am and not ashamed of any sticky-out stomach.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:43 am It is hardly any shorter than many in this forum wear; and it looks like it would be a great walking/hiking garment with the slits giving lots of leg freedom and breeze. The top fits without having to wear a "wife-beater" top to get your arms out for the more strenuous or hot weather outing. I have wrap skirts that carry greater risk of exposure than this would. The bleak color does not grab me, but there is some functionality there.
I purchased the dress and it arrived today. I will try and post pictures and a review soon.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

As I have posted elsewhere, what's the fascination of wearing clodhoppers instead of sandals or lighter shoes?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:57 am A few years ago Top Man marketed sarongs directly at men in the UK. They sold out. Apart from Beckham who was probably wearing something a bit more upmarket there were no reports of men in sarongs. I suspect most were worn at home.

It is clear that marketing skirted garments to men works - they can sell them but we are still seeing very few men actually wearing them.
If men might be willing to wear a garment at home, but not in public, could they be persuaded to wear house dresses? Perhaps these might be marketed as tunics, and be categorized as lounge wear.

:?:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 pmIf men might be willing to wear a garment at home, but not in public, could they be persuaded to wear house dresses? Perhaps these might be marketed as tunics, and be categorized as lounge wear.
We have ready access to bathrobes, and in yesteryear had banyans; so those options are definitely on the table. I'd like to see house-dresses introduced to the male population, and even better yet the "tea gown" for semi-formal moments when company might be in the house.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"Tunic" May be a possibility but "house dress" or "tea gown" just sound too archaic to have much appeal in marketing terms.
Besides our housebound comrades are not that likely to be stampeding to get a man tunic in order to strut their stuff to the world at large.
On a more optimistic note the tunic idea could possibly tempt some guys into a dress type garment. The big factor is likely to be the price. The higher the cost the less likelihood of mass appeal and demand.
Who knows?
Steve
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

It is already socially acceptable for a man to wear a woman's dressing gown, no matter how feminine it might be. The only rule is that he has to be in her house as an overnight guest. It is a sort of badge of sexual success (I slept with this woman last night) which legitimises it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

To keep the price down I think that the design would have to be fairly simple.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A sort of long T would fit the bill. I have long posited at what point in lengthening a T-shirt does it become a T-shirt dress? Even my wife has no answer to that one.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 am It is already socially acceptable for a man to wear a woman's dressing gown, no matter how feminine it might be. The only rule is that he has to be in her house as an overnight guest. It is a sort of badge of sexual success (I slept with this woman last night) which legitimises it.
Ye Gods, I must live in a wholly different society to that one.
It certainly does nothing to improve mans image of respect toward woman,
Nah,Rivegauche, I detect a not so jolly jape, "socially acceptable, no matter how feminine"?
Sorry I just can't buy into that at all and it doesn't benefit fashion freedom for men in any way either.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:06 pm A sort of long T would fit the bill. I have long posited at what point in lengthening a T-shirt does it become a T-shirt dress? Even my wife has no answer to that one.
Thanks Dennis and we are back on topic in a way.
If the tee is of sufficient length that you can wear it without displaying that which should remain hidden it can legitimately be
designated a dress. Anything beyond that is just a matter o personal taste and confidence.
In my younger, pre public skirt days I wore oversize tees with short shorts. The shorts remained pretty much invisible so the tees could just as easily been dresses for all the difference that it would have made.
In terms of Unisex design the tee dress would certainly be the most likely to be cost effective. In addition the permutations would only be limited by the bounds of imagination, endless.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:10 am
rivegauche wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 am It is already socially acceptable for a man to wear a woman's dressing gown, no matter how feminine it might be. The only rule is that he has to be in her house as an overnight guest. It is a sort of badge of sexual success (I slept with this woman last night) which legitimises it.
Ye Gods, I must live in a wholly different society to that one.
It certainly does nothing to improve mans image of respect toward woman,
Nah,Rivegauche, I detect a not so jolly jape, "socially acceptable, no matter how feminine"?
Sorry I just can't buy into that at all and it doesn't benefit fashion freedom for men in any way either.
Steve.

I confess that tis is something I have not seen in real life. I only watch a couple of hours of tellie a night but most weeks there is some guy in a woman's dressing gown in a drama. I remember one a few days ago when a gorilla-type character in 'The Coroner' (the British series of this name not the US one) was wearing a very frilly dressing gown. The reason I mentioned this was not the prospect of us making do with dressing gowns - it was that the concept of men in womenswear can be socially acceptable in certain circumstances. We just need to broaden the circumstances and leading by example is a good way to go.

Edit - I just realised the man in The Coroner was in his own home. He could have worn his own dressing gown.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was rereading river gauche post regarding sarongs and thought...these could be called...Starter Skirts!. :idea: