Pantyhose / Tights Reviews and Recommendations for the Taller Gentleman

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Pantyhose / Tights Reviews and Recommendations for the Taller Gentleman

Post by FranTastic444 »

With warmer temperatures about to hit us here in New England, this is maybe not the ideal time to start this thread :D The subject has been on my mind for a while though, so here goes.

I've tried many different styles of tights over the last couple of years, most of them being a big disappointment to me. I'm about 6' tall with size 45 (on the European scale) feet and fairly muscular (cyclist) legs. I struggle to find tights that are long enough for me - many I have to stretch so far that within minutes of wearing, the gusset is making a dash south towards my kneecaps (most uncomfortable) :shock:

So, particularly for the benefit of the 6' + brigade on here, I'll review some of my purchases. Please feel free to do the same (preferably including a link to the garment). Looking for bad as well as good so we know what to buy and avoid -

No Nonsense, Super Opaque, Control Top. I've purchased these a number of times from Amazon (the wife was so impressed with them that she got me to order her a few for work). Looking back through my order history, I get a broken URL when I try to click on the previous orders. From a search, it appears that this is the same product. These are the best fitting tights and most comfortable I have ever come across. Once in place, they stay in place. I like the way they are opaque when I stand but become slightly translucent above the knee when I sit. Great in the colder weather, but probably not something I could sit around in now that it is getting warmer. Denier is high enough that you don't need bare legs.

Oil Shiny Stockings. Slightly perturbed by all of this talk of "sexy" in the description. Ignore that though - they look and feel great as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately they aren't quite long enough for me and require frequent hitching-up. Denier is low so bare legs needed.

Men's Pantyhose. Big disappointment. As per the reviews, nothing here to set them apart from "normal" female products. Weren't even as long as the product above, so the fit was poor.

Sheertex Thigh High. I so wanted to love this product and brand, but felt a bit let down in the end. There was a production issues that meant one leg was fine, but the other had inconsistent spacing between the treads, which made it look like they had run (when they had not). I could have sent them back, but never got round to it and I think too much time has passed now for it to be fair for me to return. The company does have a reputation for being good with customers so I've no doubt they would have helped me if I'd responded in a timely manner. The problem here is that they just weren't long enough. Being of strong material I could hoist them all the way up my leg, but they wouldn't stay there. I was in a quandary on size and I think I went large. A bigger size might have been longer in the leg, but would have also been wider (too wide for my legs, I fear). If anyone has found a product like this that is long in the leg, I'd love to hear from you.

Argyle Sweater Tights. I've worn these a bunch of times around the house and they are pretty comfortable. Could do with being just a tad longer though. Not as much stretch as you would get from traditional tights - heard a creak from the seams as I over stretched the first time I put them on.

Adrian Men's Warm & Comfortable 3D Grating Patterned Tights. Purchased, but not yet worn - I totally forgot about them! Will give them a go sometime and report back.

Next on the list to try will be Threads. They have a lot of reviews from guys and are covered favorably on this blog.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pantyhose / Tights Reviews and Recommendations for the Taller Gentleman

Post by howardfh »

There's a new on-line seller, tightscity.co.uk selling brands I've never heard of. Considering the price thought I'd have a go, these were lovely and fitted real snug; https://tightscity.co.uk/product/exclus ... ize-smlxl/
I'm 5'8 and bought large, and plenty of legroom. A size bigger should suit anyone a few inches taller.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The problem with tights is getting them in Queen or Q+ size 4 XXL to fit the male body.
Yes they fit at the waist and hips -BUT- then the length is off - they don't make them in Tall Amazon Queen size.

A solution to this - consider sheer light weight leggings with a HIGH WAIST - make sure they are FULL LENGTH and not 7/8ths (ankle).
I have had success with USA branded - Old Navy and another brand Fabletics:

Old Navy: https://oldnavy.gap.com/?tid=onps024290 ... _Core_Core

Fabletics: https://www.bing.com/search?q=fablectic ... d48aee78a6

There also is the factor of getting the tights leggings in color(s) to compliment the skirted kilted wear -
Add in whether the tights are footless (full length NOT 7/8s ankle) or stirrup style or footed -
With the former two - socks to be worn ?

Wearing tights or leggings in warmer weather is not as bad as one thinks - it is not the legs to worry about so much
as the doubling of the fabric with skirt on top of the tights at the waist and hips - keep the compression down for comfort.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

60 den. XL latte opaques from Amazon or wherever, held up with good compression briefs with a little leg make the perfect combo for 6'2" me with 33"inside leg. Comfort all day long, but I can't sleep in them.

Total modesty even when I pirouette in my skimpy glittery dance tutu :)

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Some years ago, I stumbled upon some stay ups, or thigh highs, Italian brand, "Sarah Borghi"

It took me a few wearings to realize what I had, but when I did, I went around all the local branches of that discount store and bought all I could find. Very opaque, smooth, very slightly gloss, easily long enough for my legs, even in the #3 size, though 4 was better. Stayed up almost without fail, and very durable. The brown was a wonderful colour.

Sadly, I have only a few pairs left, and while I have found that brand, not those particular items. Tights I have found from that brand are one of the better ones for staying up, not perfect, but vastly better than most. I did find some Commando brand tights, that have a very wide waistband, they fit perfectly, but i'm not sure they still make them the same, and regular price is a bit much.

The problem I find is the proportions are all wrong in most. If they are long enough and big enough, they won't hold at the waist.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm 60 den. XL latte opaques from Amazon or wherever, held up with good compression briefs with a little leg make the perfect combo for 6'2" me with 33"inside leg. Comfort all day long, but I can't sleep in them.

Total modesty even when I pirouette in my skimpy glittery dance tutu :)

Tom
I'm not a taller gentleman but I agree with Tom that wearing a pair of compression briefs over the top of pantyhose / tights does a great job in keeping the hose in the right position. :)

IMHO The style of the compression briefs is unimportant to their function of holding up the hose, so little legs or such is down to the wearer's preference.
I would match up the colour of the briefs to the colour of the hose just in case of unintentional exposure though. :wink:

The moderators may wish to delete this post if mention of what is worn out of sight under the skirt/kilt/dress breaks the forum rules.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

For length, try Falke. Their Seidenglatt 15 tights for example, are very long indeed.

Try also Wolford in XL, Marks & Spencer Silky Soft 40 den opaques, and also Kunert. All have generous fit.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

https://www.cette.com/en-us/
This company has adequate pantyhose, sturdy and comfortable

Also:
https://www.glamory.de/en/#blog_section
With specific designs for men

Furthermore there are some whitelabel brands

https://xn--strumpfhosen-fr-mnner-m2b26c.de/

https://www.tights-for-men.com/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Cette are good, and should have enough stretch on the bigger sizes. I really like their “Brooklyn” 30 denier tights. Semi-opaque with a lovely silky feel.

However I find Glamory very average, with a slightly rough texture on the mens’ hosiery.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Thanks for all the feedback, gents.

I'll be sure to check out your suggestions.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

An alternative to tights is stockings, which I much prefer. Extra tall, plus size should fit. Try https://www.stockingshq.com/extra-tall-stockings-t383 for instance.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thigh highs provide an alternative to stockings. Self-supporting.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hate 'em. They never stay up on me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Never had a problem with them. Just goes to show that we are all different and have our own sartorial problems. At least you tried.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:17 am Hate 'em. They never stay up on me.

Tom
If you've got some hips then wearing a suspender belt is really practical and comfortable option - well the stockings are truly a barely there feeling on your thighs if you suspend vs hold ups. I suppose it also depends on whether the extra lingerie is a bridge too far - but if you have the figure a suspender belt makes a lot of sense.

NZF