Observations.....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Andy_G

Observations.....

Post by Andy_G »

Yesterday I was able to have some time getting dressed and going out. Got all the prep done and home, but left the house in jeans as I’m not wanting the neighbours noticing.

When out I initially had on a pair of women’s skinny jeans, brown suede slouch ankle boots, a grey jumper and a brown knee length coat. This outfit was definitely identifiable as women’s clothing. Felt absolutely natural, no issues at all.

I decided to change into my skirt once I’d got to a neighbouring town, which I did after a little while. Although the outfits were similar in being unmistakenly female, in the skirt I felt all eyes were on me, and people definitely took more notice.

For reference, this is the skirt I wore:

https://www.next.ie/en/style/st607285/990303

What’s other experiences of similar scenarios?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Observations.....

Post by denimini »

Some people will look twice but then carry on with their busy lives. I am sure I would look more than twice if I saw another man in a skirt because it is rare (I have never come across another man in a skirt in my travels). Rare but totally OK and legit so just carry on as it is the most normal thing in the world.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Andy, I think you are spending too much energy watching others for their reactions. Indeed, as Anthony noted, with so few MIS it is noticeable, but surprisingly few actually pause or truly notice, they just carry on. Seeing us is a good education for them!

However, if you just go about your business no differently than if you were in all "men's" attire, even fewer will notice your clothing choice -- I don't know if you consider that a good, or bad thing... :) For me, I'm so familiar about the 'zone' it is hard to find anyone who has not seen me in a skirt -- I'd probably raise more eyebrows in pants! :lol:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

On a couple of occasions friends have followed me at a distance in public, claiming they wanted to observe how people reacted (and vehemently denying that they didn't want to be seen with me).  On both occasions they were disappointed because there was hardly any reaction at all.

Most people are too busy with their own lives to bother about what we are wearing.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Andy_G wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 am Yesterday I was able to have some time getting dressed and going out. Got all the prep done and home, but left the house in jeans as I’m not wanting the neighbours noticing.

When out I initially had on a pair of women’s skinny jeans, brown suede slouch ankle boots, a grey jumper and a brown knee length coat. This outfit was definitely identifiable as women’s clothing. Felt absolutely natural, no issues at all.

I decided to change into my skirt once I’d got to a neighbouring town, which I did after a little while. Although the outfits were similar in being unmistakenly female, in the skirt I felt all eyes were on me, and people definitely took more notice.

For reference, this is the skirt I wore:

https://www.next.ie/en/style/st607285/990303

What’s other experiences of similar scenarios?
It's a skirt that is beautifull and will draw attention irrespective of who is wearing it.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Oh, there's no doubt that people DO notice, that's to be expected, but, like denimini said, such encounters last only a moment and then it's over, they go their way and you go yours. Heaven knows I'm more noticeable than most members here, but I carry myself in a way like what I wear is no big deal, because it's not. At the end of the day, it's just clothes, and why should people make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to clothes?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:27 am At the end of the day, it's just clothes, and why should people make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to clothes?
Hi Jeff
I could not agree more but the sad fact is that some folks treat men in skirts like a harbinger of Armageddon or worse.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it so you may just as well carry on doing what floats your particular boat.
As for being noticed, unless you have borrowed Master Potter's cloak, your wearing a skirt or dress will be noticed!
The point is that for the vast majority of the time it will be ignored. That is just how modern society operates.
Steve.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Gusto10 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm It's a skirt that is beautifull and will draw attention irrespective of who is wearing it.
I agree with you, this is a beautiful skirt that I would notice and watch longer than some other skirts. Your comment also made me think that when it comes to see people in skirt outside (women, as I hardly seen men in skirt/dress and it was always related to a non occidental origin), I don't pay any more attention to a woman wearing a skirt I don't like than I do with a woman in trousers.

I will add that I like to see beautiful women when I'm outside (and watch maybe too much) and I often find women more beautiful in skirt/dress. That makes me spot easily when there is a woman in certain types of skirt/dress because of the skirt/dress, and that would have made me to spot Gusto as well (and be disappointed to find a man rather than a beautiful woman :lol:).
That might be a start of explanation to why a such skirt draws more attention than a short denim for example.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:10 am
JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:27 am At the end of the day, it's just clothes, and why should people make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to clothes?
Hi Jeff
I could not agree more but the sad fact is that some folks treat men in skirts like a harbinger of Armageddon or worse.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it so you may just as well carry on doing what floats your particular boat.
As for being noticed, unless you have borrowed Master Potter's cloak, your wearing a skirt or dress will be noticed!
The point is that for the vast majority of the time it will be ignored. That is just how modern society operates.
Steve.
Oh, I have no problem with being noticed, comes with the territory, I've accepted that reality from day one.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Andy_G wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 am What’s other experiences of similar scenarios?
Hi Andy.
For starters, nice skirt I am a Next fan too. It was the first place I had the nerve to try on a skirt in store so I guess that adds to it.
Like Geoff said, being noticed has to go with the territory to some degree and actually that is quite positive. Whatever the reaction, you will have caused someone to consider other possibilities. You just cannot do anything much else but enjoy your own journey.
One anecdote from my past. I got a big helping of the evil eye from an old lady in the middle of the day in the city. Nought noteworthy except that she was also proudly brandishing a white stick. Now that is getting noticed at a whole new level.
To be sure I am a keen people watcher too and I love observing the observers, especially the disapprovers.
Eye contact, smile and friendly greeting usually does the trick and occasionally gives rise to some interesting chats too.
Steve.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Spirou003 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:16 am
Gusto10 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm It's a skirt that is beautifull and will draw attention irrespective of who is wearing it.
I agree with you, this is a beautiful skirt that I would notice and watch longer than some other skirts. Your comment also made me think that when it comes to see people in skirt outside (women, as I hardly seen men in skirt/dress and it was always related to a non occidental origin), I don't pay any more attention to a woman wearing a skirt I don't like than I do with a woman in trousers.

I will add that I like to see beautiful women when I'm outside (and watch maybe too much) and I often find women more beautiful in skirt/dress. That makes me spot easily when there is a woman in certain types of skirt/dress because of the skirt/dress, and that would have made me to spot Gusto as well (and be disappointed to find a man rather than a beautiful woman :lol:).
That might be a start of explanation to why a such skirt draws more attention than a short denim for example.
I take it you mean AndyG?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Oups yes, sorry! :oops:
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I like that leather skirt. As far as being noticed is concerned, you probably will be. A woman in a nice skirt is noticed, and often appreciated. But no one reacts - that is the important thing. In the great scheme of things a man in a skirt is a very minor event in anyone's day. I have seen two men in skirts (not kilts) in my small Highland town, and one of them seems to wear only skirts and dresses. Neither is dressed as a woman. I was having coffee with a woman friend outside in another Highland town and I mentioned to her that there was a man dressed as a woman behind her. She really didn't care, and didn't so much as glance in his direction. OK, this is a woman I met when I was wearing a dress and heels (though I was dressed in male clothes on this occasion) but it REALLY didn't matter to her that there was a man dressed as a woman a few metres from her. I have met lots of lovely women I would not have met if I only wore trousers, though I have not had a relationship with anyone I met when wearing a skirt or dress. Your friends and colleagues might comment but there will not be intolerance. I assume - because apart from the women I have met when so attired my friends do not know about my clothing preferences. But strangers really don't care, at least in the UK. It might be different if you visit a bar where al the customers are men with tattoos but I wouldn't want to go there anyway.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

rg, you would probably find that the more redneck ones ( men with tattoos ) still wouldn't care!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:06 pmrg, you would probably find that the more redneck ones ( men with tattoos ) still wouldn't care!
Not to mention that the majority of women now sport tattoos as well. Try finding one without.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!