Mens Suiting Is Drab

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Mens Suiting Is Drab

Post by nzfreestyler »

From the current Hugo Boss trends....

Mens suiting vs their womens suiting - in my opinion the womens suiting is just so superior. Far better style and it looks refined and balanced - and it has some personality too.

I would wear any of the womens outfits before I wanted to look at the drabby/clunky mens styles.

Anyone have similar thoughts? What do you think?

and then the skirted options are better still....

Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mens Suiting Is Drab

Post by Ray »

I don’t know; I have a pretty cool aubergine three piece suit. It’s sharp! I’ve also got a lovely dark brick red suit which I love wearing.

I take your general point though. Most men’s’ suits are boring.

Edit: the women above all look unprofessional in bare legs. In my view. At our office, bare legs are frowned upon. In fairness, men without socks are also discouraged.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Can we really regard mainstream fashion as being really trend driven?
Trend suggests some movement and some degree of innovation. There does not appear to be much of either in the men's clothing offer.
I reckon the main problem is that there is a high degree of inertia in the male population. Look see buy is the extent of the thought process most men put into clothing themselves. A significant number will also gladly leave the whole thing to a female.
Where we have been docile, women have been militant over their clothing choices and have reaped the rewards.
Until we waken up and start thinking for ourselves I doubt we can expect very much change.
Certainly buying from the female sections is one element as men in skirts is another. However, these are insignificant factors in the world of fashion marketing.
I think that the shift will only come when there is demand for greater variety from a major part of the male population.
Money talks as always.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't really see much difference between the men's and women's suits. They all look, well, smart, normal, and apart from the more diverse colours, almost boring. Not keen on the trousers that stop well above the ankle, though. Can't really pin it down to why, the look just jarrs and seems wrong to me. So, yeah, if a woman can wear a rather tedious suit why can't a man wear a stylish dress?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: Suiting, I don't personally go for bright colours at all. I wouldn't bother with a ladies' trouser-suit. Skirted suits are where it's at, and most feature pencil or straight styles. Smart. I have two 'ladies' skirt suits, but both feature flared skirts which I prefer. Knee-length max. I like pin-stripes too.

Short waisted jackets look lovely on girls and go well with any skirt. That look is markedly more difficult to achieve covering a male body. In recent years I have observed male suitings to feature shorter jackets, leaving the bottom mostly covered by trousers only. I dislike that and find the proportions not good. A male jacket worn with trousers ought to cover the bottom...just. Not so with a kilt, where the shorter 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' and similar jackets look great.

Male trousers worn at 'half mast', i.e. not extending down to the shoes look ghastly. That look is for the girls only.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Same than Sinned, I find them all very similar and boring. Except the color choice that differ between men and women.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:56 pm Re: Suiting, I don't personally go for bright colours at all. I wouldn't bother with a ladies' trouser-suit. Skirted suits are where it's at, and most feature pencil or straight styles. Smart. I have two 'ladies' skirt suits, but both feature flared skirts which I prefer. Knee-length max. I like pin-stripes too.

with a kilt, where the shorter 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' and similar jackets look great.
I regard the womens trouser suits as only a marginal improvement over the mens trouser suits. The main advantage with the womens is the lack of a tie. I find the somewhat more diverse colors to be a slight improvement.

Actually, I wouldn't bother with the womens trouser suits. I would say that the most interesting suit was in the bottom image.

I think that an MIS alternative for men could be made to work. About knee length, perhaps a straight skirt or narrow A-line.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Grok wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:00 am Actually, I wouldn't bother with the womens trouser suits. I would say that the most interesting suit was in the bottom image.

I think that an MIS alternative for men could be made to work. About knee length, perhaps a straight skirt or narrow A-line.
I think the skirted options look better - and as a wearer of skirt suits vs pants - so much better in summer to have your legs out rather than in pants.

I also really like the skirt and tee shirt suited look - or a sleeveless blouse look with a skirt - something that menswear traditionally doesn't do obviously - but such a nice look and very nice to wear.
I think there should be something done for menswear lines...

NZF
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Good points, NZ :!: :mrgreen:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

In the images presented, I'd have to say that the male-targeted versions are more of the same bland dreck that's been pushed at men for the past hundred years and the stuff that's aimed at the women are entirely reminiscent of the "imitation man" look that was popular in the late 1970s and 1980s -- also dreck.

The skirted rigs are better, but we need to move beyond the "pencil" look and into fuller designs. Also, the nosebleed heels need to go as well and have reasonable designs presented. Just my two tuppence worth...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 am
In the images presented, I'd have to say that the male-targeted versions are more of the same bland dreck that's been pushed at men for the past hundred years and the stuff that's aimed at the women are entirely reminiscent of the "imitation man" look that was popular in the late 1970s and 1980s -- also dreck.

The skirted rigs are better, but we need to move beyond the "pencil" look and into fuller designs. Also, the nosebleed heels need to go as well and have reasonable designs presented. Just my two tuppence worth...
I think you refer to the pointy toes? I know a lot of folks here are anti pointy toes - which is fine - but I have seen a lot of square toe pumps in the shops now - which is quite cool as a transitionary sort of look between the feminine pointy look?

So there are many shoe manufacturers with both a pointy toe and a very square toe version of the same pump.

As for the height if you're a bit short like me - well I like being up higher...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:24 amI think you refer to the pointy toes?
Nope, it's down to the extreme height of the things -- putting one into barotrauma territory (hence, "nosebleed"). The pointy toes are useful for killing cockroaches that retreat into corners, so at least there's a use-case there.
I know a lot of folks here are anti pointy toes - which is fine - but I have seen a lot of square toe pumps in the shops now - which is quite cool as a transitionary sort of look between the feminine pointy look?
Personally, I don't give a hoot what anyone happens to like, but from a practical perspective I happen to gravitate to shoe types that are actually functional and which one can engage in active action if the need arises (and also that one doesn't have to be acutely aware of the danger of falling off said designs in a moment of inattention).
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Something along the lines of a Prince Charlie.... That might be a garment with half decent pockets. Also, a place to put lapel pins.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:36 amAlso, a place to put lapel pins.
Dammit, I want Florian Schneider's lapel-pin for a jacket of mine,

On a sad note, and I wasn't aware of it, he passed in 2020. The world is a poorer place.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 am Nope, it's down to the extreme height of the things -- putting one into barotrauma territory (hence, "nosebleed"). The pointy toes are useful for killing cockroaches that retreat into corners, so at least there's a use-case there.

Personally, I don't give a hoot what anyone happens to like, but from a practical perspective I happen to gravitate to shoe types that are actually functional and which one can engage in active action if the need arises (and also that one doesn't have to be acutely aware of the danger of falling off said designs in a moment of inattention).
I love it... well said.

As I wearer of said 'nose-bleeders' - all I can say is one should not wear them if one can't handle them. They're almost like a lifestyle choice in that you have to make an effort to be good in them - then it becomes very second nature.