Mens Suiting Is Drab

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

my definitions

Post by Grok »

Suits for both men and women-"An ensemble of separate garments, coordinated to achieve a formal or semi-formal appearance." To elaborate-"Above the waist are worn two or three layers of clothing." In terms of traditional mens suits, the two or three upper layers are a shirt, with jacket and/or waistcoat.

Mens suits can be divided on the basis of formal (with tie) or semi-formal (without tie).

With semi-formal there are two gradations. 1. The T-shirt version is the least formal. 2. I recall posting a link regarding a somewhat more formal version-this used only the traditional components of a mans suit, but minus a tie. It was suggested that a tattersall or pin stripe shirt be worn, so as not to be totally minimalistic.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mens Suiting Is Drab

Post by Grok »

Dust said:

"Some people seem to be getting jackets cut a bit shorter these days...."

and...

"I've seen some pics online of what looked to be standard mens jackets with ankle length A-line skirts that looked good."

I have to congratulate those who are thinking outside the box. I've been stuck within a box; I kept thinking in terms of womens skirt suit, which tend to have something like a straight or pencil skirt, usually around knee length.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:00 pmI have to congratulate those who are thinking outside the box. I've been stuck within a box; I kept thinking in terms of womens skirt suit, which tend to have something like a straight or pencil skirt, usually around knee length.
I was fiddling around with A-lines and jackets from the first time I put a skirt on -- there's nothing new there. I also have a couple of really nice "suiting skirts" that are in essence "trumpet skirts" which have a greater flare than a classic A-line and slightly resemble the bell of a trumpet, hence the name.

To reiterate an important point: "Style is not fashion. Fashion comes and goes with whims and publicity; style is timeless." We forget that at our peril.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:25 pmTo reiterate an important point: "Style is not fashion.
Fashion comes and goes with whims and publicity; style is timeless."
We forget that at our peril.
AMEN :!:

The emphasis on 'style is timeless' in mine but, Carl is CORRECT.
Style is what we make it, not what someone else deems as style.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 pm Mens suits can be divided on the basis of formal (with tie) or semi-formal (without tie).
.....and as proven in this thread there are only "suits", neither Mens or Womens.
The formality is for the wearer and or their employer to decide.
Anything else is tradition or fashion.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I imagine a spectrum:

1. Grunge.

2. Drab.

3. Formal but dull. An example would be an (uninspired) traditional mans trouser suit.

3. Style. I believe that a mans trouser suit can reach this, but an MIS skirt suit is more promising.

4. Elegance.

I would suppose that much of the interest that members have in skirt suits is in that potential for style.

Elegance seems to be reserved for the most formal of occasions.

Note-yes, there are gradations in the Drab category. "Dressy Drab" can include a dress shirt worn with slacks; also, I believe that in general skirts can fit this subcategory readily.

(BTW, I have always despised wearing suits).
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Messed up the numbers with my last post. Correction:

!. Grunge.

2. Drab.

3. Formal, but dull.

4. Style.

5. Elegance.

Suiting for both men and women can be either number 3 or number 4. Don't usually associate style with women, but some womens suits achieve this.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 pmElegance seems to be reserved for the most formal of occasions.
No. Under the auspices of the notion of "Commit random acts of beauty.", elegance is always warranted and frequently appreciated in a word of grunge and drab.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Now here is something I never thought I would hear. I have on occasion worn around the house a standard cheap, sleeveless, above knee lbd. Thin cotton material but it's quick to put on when it's warm and comfortable when doing cleaning jobs. Anyway, I had been helping my wife with some cleaning in our conservatory and got ready for work an hour early. I misread the time. When she asked why I was going in early I then looked again at the time and realised my mistake. She then said to me, "Go up and put your dress back on and help me for a wile longer." Well, I couldn't get changed fast enough. I don't think her acceptance has just shot up it was just more of a factual command. Unfortunately. Nice to hear it though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:Possibility?

Post by Grok »

There seems to be some interest not only among members, but also some outside the membership.

I now wonder if the next thing to gain traction might be a skirt suit for men.

Advantages:

1. Trouser versions are familiar to men. So men wouldn't be asked to wear something completely unfamiliar.

2. A suit is a sort of uniform. Which may focus attention into a single-or similar-option(s). Rather than trying to market disparate designs.

3. It may perhaps be easier to get the general public to accept a uniform.