Mens Suiting Is Drab

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mens Suiting Is Drab

Post by Ray »

Mark as in Mark wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 pm hey Guys, I just bought a matching tweed skirt and men's blazer from a UK company. Walker and Hawkes It's a little heavy to wear now but come colder days it will be perfect
Thanks for this, Mark. Do you have a link?

Also, I believe you used a tailor in Germany to convert a men’s suit into a skirt suit. Would you be able to share their details?

Ray
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

https://www.walkerandhawkes.com/shop/wo ... low-skirt/

A few of these skirts have a men's matching blazer
Last edited by Mark as in Mark on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 pm
I'd like to see a pic of that new suit combo you've ordered in the UK, Mark.

Tom
I had to send the blazer back

IT WAS WAY TO BIG.

That happens when you think you are ordering a EU48 and the UK equivalent is a 38! As soon as I get the smaller jacket a picture will follow
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Mark as in Mark wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 pm hey Guys, I just bought a matching tweed skirt and men's blazer from a UK company. Walker and Hawkes It's a little heavy to wear now but come colder days it will be perfect
OMG those are awesome - how do their measurements match up to reality? Specifically the skirts, probably won't get a blazer.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

coder, the skirt fit true to size.

Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Mark, thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

Ray
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Dust wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 am
Daryl wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:17 am I think you're right. It's going to be tough to make it work. Maybe I'll have to have two suits made with a common vest but separate jackets and bottoms. Grrr, more material and more labour.
I've seen some pics online of what looked to be standard men's jackets with ankle length a-line skirts that looked good. It's an option I've wanted to try, but only works as a suit if you have a source for matching fabric, as the skirt requires far more material than you can get out of an existing pair of pants.

Our own Mark has had existing men's suit pants modified into knee length pencil skirts with no changes to the jacket, and it looks okay, but a bit off to my eye. Most here don't seem to mind, so look through his pics and decide for yourself.

Some people seem to be getting jackets cut just a bit shorter these days anyway to go with pants with the highly tailored modern fit, so maybe you could get something that would look a bit aggressively tailored (short) with pants, and on the longer side but okay with a skirt. I don't know, but it might work with a below the knee skirt and some heels. It's a route I've considered going with an odd jacket...

I'm curious where you are going to have this done. I don't think it matters specifically who, as you're probably not near me, but on a general note, are you going to a tailor who does custom work, a kilt maker, or a seamstress? Does one simply walk into a custom menswear shop and ask if they'll make you a skirt suit?

Can you buy extra matching fabric when you get an off-the-rack suit to take elsewhere and have a skirt made? I know females that have done this with dresses (get extra fabric) to have made (or make themselves) a small jacket, or add sleeves to the dress itself. Some bridal shops do that sort of work in house as well. But unless you are spending wedding dress kind of money, paying someone else for this sort of work might not make sense.
Tell the truth, I haven't thought very far ahead, but it's a really big city so I am confident I could find someone to make it for me. Probably a seamstress, I imagine. The fabric I would buy down in the fashion district. So many suppliers in a small area would make it easy to find something at a decent price. The project may go on indefinite hold anyway. My priorities seems to be changing all the time. I hadn't thought of going nearly ankle length but I feel now that I should add it to my imaginings. Dang but dressing with freedom to go into the traditionally feminine zone is fun but also really a lot more mental work!
Daryl...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Orrrr, you could look at your local department store's ads and learn that most women's suits are assembled from suiting separates from a designer's collection. So, because -- as you've been noticing since puberty -- women are shaped differently than men, you go to the bricks and mortar store and find a collection you like. Then you try on the skirt in a few sizes so, you get the one that fits you the best. Then you try on the matching jacket again for the best fit. Then voila! You have your suit! Your skirt will probably be in one size and your jacket in another, but no one's going to check the labels inside your garment to find that out, now are they?

Oh yes, when you go shopping, be sure to wear whatever it is you are going to wear with your suit, especially the underpinnings, so that if they help you suck in your gut, the skirt will fit properly. This goes double for your shoes. If you plan to ever wear high heels with your pieced together suit, be sure to wear them on your shopping trip because to stay upright in high heels you need to affect your dancer's alignment or for those of you with a military background, your parade ground posture. Taking that stance naturally sucks your gut in without any conscious effort, which of course reduces your waistline.

But if you insist on spending the big bucks, nearly all custom tailors hand make suits for both men and women. So step into any such shop and be prepared to spend some time selecting fabric, buttons, jacket and skirt styles and having more measurements taken than you ever imagined that you had. But once you pick up and put on your new suit, the fit and feel should approach the sublime and you won't believe that you could look so sublime!

That is, of course, assuming you picked the right tailor, So pay attention to their samples before you commit to their efforts.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys
Your chat rather begs a question, what is this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

David,

Some great tips on for making sure things fit. What you wear under a suit matters. If you know your measurements, you can buy online, but nothing beats actually trying it on.

Unfortunately, most of us guys will have trouble getting women's tops to fit, especially when they are more fitted like so may suit jackets. They end up being too tight in the shoulders, arms, and waist while the man trying to wear it can't fill the chest properly.

This is why I push for finding men's shirts and jackets that are more fitted and look good with a skirt. They are out there.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Dust wrote,
Unfortunately, most of us guys will have trouble getting women's tops to fit, especially when they are more fitted like so may suit jackets. They end up being too tight in the shoulders, arms, and waist while the man trying to wear it can't fill the chest properly.

The place where a top or a jacket has to fit is across the shoulders. If the first jacket you grab doesn't fit that bill go up a size. And keep doing that until you find a jacket that's comfortable. As I said, that's why you go with suit separates and expect to wind up with a skirt of a smaller size than the jacket.

Especially with blouses or women's shirts, I haven't found the darts to fit the chest is that big of a deal. If you get a noticeable bulge, take your trusty seam ripper to the dart. If you get a noticeable bulge in your jacket because you don't big enough moobs to fill it out, take it to your tailor for alteration.

Don't let yourself be paralyzed by the fear factor. In the first place, they've probably had requests that make tailoring your skirted suit look like business as usual. Which it is; women in management have their better suits and dresses altered to ensure a top notch fit. Even if you do wind up initiating your tailor to the nuances of the 21st century, what of it? They'll undoubtedly just be glad for the work.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

T-shirt as part of a suit.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Grok wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:02 am T-shirt as part of a suit.
Rab C Nesbitt, the famous Male Supermodel from Govan, has been styling suits without a shirt for many years. Some say he invented the ripped look too.
RAB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:02 am T-shirt as part of a suit.
Hi Grok
Why not?
Who can dictate how a "suit" should be put together if not the wearer?
Or indeed, the person paying for the thing.
I'm also fairly sure this would have attracted no comments at all.
What is more, a female would not expect any so neither should we, even with a skirt.
Rab would have bestowed a "Glesga" kiss on anyone who opined on his sartorial choices, ye ken!
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:definitions

Post by Grok »

A dictionary definition of suit that applies to both men and women-"a set of clothes of clothes consisting of a coat and matching trousers and skirt."