Outfits: What Inspires You?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Outfits: What Inspires You?

Post by JeffB1959 »

When it comes to putting together outfits to wear while out in public, what is your inspiration:

--Do you mimic what women wear while out and about?
--See something in a magazine, on TV or on the internet that you like?
--Do you make up something unique to your personal style and taste?

Speaking for myself, I do a little of all three. I enjoy observing women and their outfits, taking mental notes on how I could copy what they wear while adding my own personal touch. Scanning magazines and the internet in particular provides lots of ideas while learning about how to pair clothes with shoes, hosiery and outerwear like coats and jackets during fall and winter. Lastly, like Indiana Jones, I make up stuff as I go when I put together outfits, I find that to be the most fun of all for me, experimenting with tops, skirts, dresses, footwear, handbags, outerwear, even jewelry. Bottom line: I take my appearance in public as a fashion freestyler seriously, so I go to great lengths to look my very best.

So, how about you, folks? What inspires you when it comes to fashion?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Outfits: What Inspires You?

Post by Big and Bashful »

Nothing, no interest in fashion at all.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

For me it is a combination of all three, but with a major addition. In addition to wearing a skirt or dress as a man, I cross-dress, presenting as a woman. I have had my colours analysed and had a style done as both man and woman. It is no exaggeration to say this was life-changing. It transformed my confidence however I was presenting, and also made clothes much more fun and gave me a buzz from getting an outfit to 'knockout' stage. This is entirely possible as a man in a skirt though this aspect was not part of the consultation. I am sure that the stylists would be up to advising men who want to wear skirt or dresses in male mode only. The interesting thing is you keep learning, and for me I gained extra inspiration from accompanying a woman friend who is a different colour season and clothing personality from me. Not sure how that worked but it did. A lot of people on this site do not spend much on their skirts, but for those who do, this fairly expensive process can actually save you money by helping you avoid clothing mistakes but it will also enhance the satisfaction you get from your clothes (all of them not just skirts).
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

For a start I am out of fashion by wearing a skirt, so I just wing it as I think fit. The remainder of my outfit probably hasn't changed much - basically just replaced shorts with miniskirts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

I find inspiration through observation. I have desired to wear skirts for most of my life. I would even daydream what my outfits would look like. Usually, I wear tops and shoes that I would usually wear with jeans or shorts.

My inspiration also comes from clothing racks at second hand or discount stores. For example, I found an ankle length tartan skirt at a Goodwill that looks great with a sweater.

My final inspiration comes from my mirror. If I don’t like the way an outfit looks, I don’t wear it. Thankfully, I have near endless combinations of outfits in my wardrobe!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I get my ideas from walking into shops and some online shopping - more browsing online for ideas, and then I go into a store to see how it looks on my body.
I love skirts and dresses - I personally love the shape/silhouette of a hemline and my legs as opposed to pants/trousers.
(although that said I am developing a liking of cropped tight pants that end above my ankles)

I have learnt the value of shopping around for classical pieces - timeless pieces like a great leather pencil or aline skirt are wardrobe staples for everybody. Ditto for cropped jackets.

I look at shop windows and clothing racks - I like fashion - but not the couture extreme stuff - a step back from the out there is where I like to be - I have found that if I see something I impulsively think 'wow' about then often it proves to be a great wardrobe piece. Because I am smaller bodied I need to be fast at shopping cause my size often gets nabbed up very quickly.

I get ideas from my Salon - For me its my whole look - my legs/skin etc are part of me clothes/outfit so I get spray tanned in summer etc.... gotta keep up appearances - and I get ideas on my skin/lingerie/nails etc from the girls at my salon when we talk about stuff...

from Advertising Billboards
Shoes and lingerie seem to be advertised a lot here. I know when I see new adverts that they are bringing in new seasons - for me I find that here we are a small country so when they advertise one has to go have a look-see - or I miss out my sizes.

I love shoes - particularly high heels cause I am not super tall and I like the extra height (ha) but I am kind of addicted to them now I think. So any new shoe fashion etc I want to try. Its my main weakness I think.
Lingerie is a big thing for me - I wear a bra everyday (32C) so I have a love-hate relationship with lingerie and my bras in particular. Enough said there I think.
These are a both key pieces to any outfit - so I can understand why they advertise them and I do get suckered into it - but then I also like it so... well go figure.

from perusing Magazines and Celeb style
I am into my accessories too - because I really like coordinating. I love coloured shoes to match my skirt/dress combos. Handbags are so damn cool - and they compliment outfits and keep my lines clean. Accessories make an outfit. I like to watch some celebs for their styles. A lot of celebs are trashy but there are some who I like to take ideas from.

From Personal Observation
On that note I am also inspired/motivated by other outfits and grooming/ impeccable presentation that I observe. I do respect the effort made to look good - and its nice to see - and I like to improve my style.

From Womens Opinions
I listen to the advice I get from sales assistants, the girls at my salon, from discussions with other women about clothes - we all share the same challenges of the styles - so I trust their opinions. I have a good handful of sales assistants that I trust and they have good eyes for ideas and clothes they know I would both like and fit. Fit is a big thing with dresses etc these days.

Thinking about it now - also my Reputation Inspires Me
I am known for wearing high heels and skirts etc...among other stuff - but thats my main claim to fame - in terms of strangers will know me long before I know them kind of thing. I have my reputation to keep so I need to maintain the glam so to speak.... or keep up a minimum standard - so this motivates me to keep looking good in my eyes.

Most importantly - I Look in the Mirror - thats the ultimate test. Part of it for me is fashion but the ultimate judge is my confidence level of how I look in my own eyes.

Finally - I try to be classy - my theory is because I am wearing garments women would typically wear I want to be better presented than a woman would be. Do at least as good a job of it as they would, but with my own twist - and just as me
(I do wear all manner of womens wear but I am not into impersonation/faking it).

wow - what a fashion rant....
sorry
NZF
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My inspiration comes from what I think looks good on me and what my wife says looks good. I don't look at fashion as as denimini said we are outside fashion by us wearing a skirt. I look at what is on the rack in the shop and have a good idea what I am looking for. My "style" is a bit narrow at the moment but is broadening. When putting an outfit together in order to go out I generally pick the top first and its colour is important. I would then select a skirt to wear with it and that isn't as easy as it appears. I may reject several before choosing one that gives me a high degree of confidence and self-assurance. Then the tights, generally but not always black or navy, and shoes. Jumper or jacket depending on temperature or weather. Jacket I have pockets, jumper I need a bag. Confidence is important to me as without that I wouldn't be able to face the general public. My internal perception of myself is my general guide and dictates hat I feel suits me. Does that make sense?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Sinned wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:47 pm Confidence is important to me as without that I wouldn't be able to face the general public. My internal perception of myself is my general guide and dictates hat I feel suits me. Does that make sense?
makes total sense to me.
I have found my confidence has grown over the years - and its all about being confident in how we/you look.
Own your look and very little trouble will come your way.

Cheers
NZF
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

What "inspires me"? I'm not really sure, but I know what "draws me in" and what I can do with it. I've mentioned before that if I can come across as a slightly confused time-traveller I'm happy, and some of my best looks have revolved around that theme. I also like experimenting with new things as well as older looks, hence my penchant for very long skirts, waistcoats, and pocket-watches -- but also for some of my more "modern" looks, some of which got a lot of mileage this summer such as a miniskirt paired with a decent-coverage camisole. I've also played with a jumpsuit to rave reviews from one of the wait-staff at my local.

Interestingly, I do not use mirrors as arbiter of a style I'm working on, I use photographs. Over the years, I've found that mirrors lie; photographs don't. We recognise ourselves intuitively in mirrors because we see them all the time, however, that's not the way that others see us. A photograph shows us what we look like to others, and thus present a more valuable representation. We "forgive" stuff in a mirror that'd never pass muster in a photograph. I'll use a mirror when I'm dealing with my hair or trimming my beard (which needs doing), but not when I'm critically evaluating an outfit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

For me it is mainly the mirror, as long the clothes look reasonable and the colours don't clash I will go for it.

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm not really sure what inspires me in regards to my clothing style.

Those who know me tell me I have a style all my own, meaning I don't really dress like a typical man or woman. I can't really look to any outside source, point to it, and say "there's where I got my idea"...

It's just... what I picture in my head.

Frankly, even as far as skirts and dresses go, I generally don't care to wear what's "in" these days with the females (the whole Ally McBeal thing), I don't do kilts either.

This may be why I get laughed at a lot (I don't even conform amongst non-conformist)... but it is what it is....

*shrugs*

I used to get regular ribbings here... but I guess the regulars just gave up on trying to change me... :lol: :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:17 amI used to get regular ribbings here... but I guess the regulars just gave up on trying to change me... :lol: :wink:
As the cliche goes, "You can't please everybody, you have to please yourself." I rather suspect that more than a few of the folks understand that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:25 am
moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:17 amI used to get regular ribbings here... but I guess the regulars just gave up on trying to change me... :lol: :wink:
As the cliche goes, "You can't please everybody, you have to please yourself." I rather suspect that more than a few of the folks understand that.

Yeah, maybe that and after almost six years of membership here, and writing all kinds of stories with pictures to boot... I think it's safe to say my style isn't a "phase" that's going away... :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Like good art; you know it when you see it, but you can't imitate it -- that is my woe. Some you know I tossed the shirt/tie/jacket/clean-shaven look upon leaving a right proper British employer in my youth and never looked back. Nor did I then or for many years contemplate fashion for me. Thus, once skirts became a mainstay I fumbled along like Anthony I just replaced my breeches with skirts -- and I readily confess, that alone did not catapult me into being fashionable! Year later, I still struggle with color, fabric and skin tone blending/contrasting to get a decent image. My wife and other women, and a handful of men seem to do it without thought or stress---how? Having lived in a places where 'fashion' is almost non-existent, the clues are not ever-present. I don't watch TV; and this particular society is not inclined to read even magazines, so no clues! I'm watching this thread for inspiration. I also confess that my choice of daily outfit revolves mostly around the pragmatic -- temperature and activity, which can constrain choice considerably. I know a few women who do seem to have an innate sense of style, always looking great, I've thought of consulting with them--as NZ Freestyler has said is helpful. More tips guys...I'm all ears, (& skirts).
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Mark Byran (Mark as in Mark) inspires me, with his great taste in corporate wear. We have the same taste in skirts and I find his look very easy to emulate (I tried with blouses etc but it's much easier with men's shirts and tops). I may shy away from such towering heels, but I do like a good pair of booties. Bought a new formal skirt for work and a Zara denim for a night out / party if they are ever allowed this year. Am in my Zara denim pencil with a side zip, with grey tights, because winter. very warm as it's a snug fit.

Gender Blender on instagram, along with a few on Tumblr inspire me too :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...