Outfits: What Inspires You?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Outfits: What Inspires You?

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I don't remember you getting any ribbing for your skirts, maybe only good-natured ones. While you wear what I probably wouldn't mainly because of the skirt length, you do have your own sense of what you like and I won't fault you for that. My style is not yours either. We both agree that what we wear appeals to our inner sense of identity and leave it at that. Keep on skirting, friend and I'll keep trying with my wife.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 pm Moon, I don't remember you getting any ribbing for your skirts, maybe only good-natured ones.
It was friendly... no harm.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

What I see in magazines, on tv, or in daily live. One encounter I remember was a young woman dressed in a slim fit jeans, white sneakers, nice t shirt, but what really stands out on her outfit was her short skirt she was wearing over her jeans.

Not the kind of style I would wear, but hey, it looked very nice on her.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Much appreciated! Kudos to nzfreestyler for mentioning outfits seen in shops, another area of inspiration for me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Wiggy

Post by Wiggy »

I often find Naga Munchetty is a great source of inspiration.
She's so stylish & elegant.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:44 am When it comes to putting together outfits to wear while out in public, what is your inspiration:

--Do you mimic what women wear while out and about?
--See something in a magazine, on TV or on the internet that you like?
--Do you make up something unique to your personal style and taste?

Speaking for myself, I do a little of all three. I enjoy observing women and their outfits, taking mental notes on how I could copy what they wear while adding my own personal touch. Scanning magazines and the internet in particular provides lots of ideas while learning about how to pair clothes with shoes, hosiery and outerwear like coats and jackets during fall and winter. Lastly, like Indiana Jones, I make up stuff as I go when I put together outfits, I find that to be the most fun of all for me, experimenting with tops, skirts, dresses, footwear, handbags, outerwear, even jewelry. Bottom line: I take my appearance in public as a fashion freestyler seriously, so I go to great lengths to look my very best.

So, how about you, folks? What inspires you when it comes to fashion?
I think I'm like you; I find "inspiration" mostly in what I see women wearing but also unique to my own tastes (and body). There is very little in western menswear that I find inspiring; not nothing, but very little.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Daryl. I find very little inspiration in mens wear.

One exception is kilting, but that is very much a niche thing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:34 pm wow - what a fashion rant....
sorry
NZF
A fashion rant I just read and really enjoyed.
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I get inspired by cosplay outfits that some guys wear in Japan, they look to be so much fun .......... but perhaps they would look out of place in outback Australia.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Daryl wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:36 am
nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:34 pm wow - what a fashion rant....
sorry
NZF
A fashion rant I just read and really enjoyed.
well I'm glad it made some sense!. I do tend to ramble on a bit - and can easily wander off topic sometimes....

cheers
NZF
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Comfortable and Fun skirts in general inspire me.
Well the diversity does. Unlimited, colors, lengths and styles out there make them almost unlimited.

I have never looked to anyone for fashion ideas. Male or female. Having to wear a certain brand or style something because a certain star endorsed it, or its what all the cool kids are wearing.
For instance the Distressed jeans is such a silly look.
Yet it seems nearly every one wears them.
I have seen women with 5 or 6 jean holes in one leg.
At that point Just wear shorts or a skirt.

And what's in this year may be out next year. So why look to ever changing fashion.

Ok back to what inspires me.
The hunt for a great item.
With the diversity of skirts it's fun to hunt for another perfect skirt.
I love looking for skirts and skorts on the internet.

Finding one in the, length, color, style,and price I like. With pockets?
Now there's a exciting hunt.
What's "my" skirt style is fairly small. So it's fun hunting for the next one.

I have several categories for clothing.

The
1 it's not fit for man nor woman or beast to wear.
2 it's ok
3 that skirt really looks good on her
4 that Is a sensible skirt I want one
5 that is a ridiculous skirt, I still want it.

I have a few in the 4 and 5 categories.
For example I like some Paisley skirts, I think they look neat, so neat in fact I bought one. I put it on and hated it. I think they look good on women. It doesn't look good on me. Pleated tennis skirts, denim miniskirt, look good on women, not a good look on me.
Printed skirts look good on women, but not on me.

There is a younger woman at our church she frequently dresses in beautiful skirts and dresses.I have great admiration for her and her modest beauty
There are several skirts I only wish I could wear. but I know I would do them a disservice. A Pig in lipstick comes to mind.

There are a lot of clothes I like but would never wear, if that makes sense.

Simple, comfortable, every day, basic Is What I wear.
I'm inspired to wear clothing that doesn't attract a lot of attention to me.
I don't dress to look sexy, fashionable or, provocative,
Maybe cute, not little girl cute. Fun loving comfortable cute. Is kind of my style if there is such a thing.

Second to skirts, I love wearing bib shortalls, and cover all's. Most of the spring,and summer I wear shortalls. Shorts during the hottest days. The world seems to be heading towards mainstreaming skirts for men. I for one won't have any trouble with making the switch, I have lots of skirts waiting to see daylight.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

For me, anyways, three things:

1) A skirt with a texture/color/shape that I like. Trouble is, I usually don't have proper footwear/tops that work well with it.

2) An outfit that a retailer puts together. Brands such as Sundance, Seasalt Cornwall, and to a lesser extent Anthropologie. Mostly they are too feminine, but occasionally they'll have an earth-tone or solid (ie, linen/twill - not sheer) ensemble that I want to replicate.

3) "As seen on the street". Basically, I might see a color combination, or a nifty cut that I want to try. Usually impossible to do and mostly a waste of effort... but I have had my successes.

However, none of this really works out in the end because I'm too afraid to be myself. Oh, I've gone out a few times skirted and even to work during the pandemic... but I'm not yet fully myself out there.
LurexJensen

Post by LurexJensen »

I would try and wear something at a reasonable length but not too long. Also would depend on the weather so that if its too cold can be paired with some tights or pantyhose to keep warm.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Long before the internet I would buy Cosmopolitan to look at the fashion, as well as following, in particular, the London and Paris fashion shows on the television or in magazines. Working and getting on with life typically means some things get shelved, and for me that keeping up with the latest trends was one of them.

In 2010, I was studying for my degree in choreography and dance, and took a module that included costume design. At that point my passion for fashion was unexpectedly rejuvenated. This time, however, I wanted to be a creator, so I went out and bought a sewing machine and started making a few garments. I also started volunteering in a charity shop.

Although it was satisfying making things to wear, it soon became clear that for practical and budgetary reasons I would be unlikely to be making myself a lot of clothing. Especially when for less than a tenth of the price of the material alone I could buy a second hand item. The beauty of the charity shop stock is that it dates from so many periods, and is donated by people from all walks of life, so that you get a whole array of unique garments.

From early on I started doing the window displays, which means creating a look that will attract attention. That's a big part of getting people into the shop. It was a simple matter of using those same skills for creating my own appearance. As a result I got quite a following amongst my customers.

So, there you have it, my inspiration is the desire to create a look that stands out and I enjoy the challenge of making "specific" clothes work, for instance I once wore an ice skating dress to the pub (dressed up with jewellery etc. of course) and got plenty of compliments. No-one seemed to see it as odd or out of place.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

SkirtsDad wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:24 am The beauty of the charity shop stock is that it dates from so many periods, and is donated by people from all walks of life, so that you get a whole array of unique garments.
Exactly ............... and the pleasure of knowing that one can afford anything in the shop :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia