Nap Dresses for Men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nap Dresses for Men

Post by Faldaguy »

by Sinned » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:26 pm

I was perusing a site selling dresses and noticed some of them with a translucent quality about them. In other words they were slightly see-through. Now this is a quality in clothing that women seem to be able to get away with especially in summer. But I take it that there are none on this site that would like to seek equality with the women on this account? I'm not just talking about total translucence because there are dresses with translucent panels also.
I have a couple of long print skirts that are pretty sheer, but they have a built-in petty coat -- however the slip underneath in both cases have flowing, flourished hems rather than a straight one. I like the skirts, but always feel just a bit self-conscious about the distinctive "feminine" aspect of them! Pretty silly for a guy in skirt pushing fashion freedom and rebellion against conformity, but the sense is still there. Now, if I was at the Oregon Country Fair -- maybe I'd just drop the slip and fit right in! :lol:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:01 am A nap dress would come under the category of "little black dress" irrespective of the colour or any pattern or sleeve style.
I don't believe the term "nap dress" refers to any particular style. It seems to be a rather generic term like "house dress".
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:26 pm I was perusing a site selling dresses and noticed some of them with a translucent quality about them. In other words they were slightly see-through. Now this is a quality in clothing that women seem to be able to get away with especially in summer. But I take it that there are none on this site that would like to seek equality with the women on this account? I'm not just talking about total translucence because there are dresses with translucent panels also.
I am actively seeking a shirt with chiffon sleeves. Just try finding one of those in menswear. It is difficult to find one in my size even in womenswear.

The most translucent shirt I have is a white cotton shirt with short sleeves. It is translucent all over. I think I might not wear it if it didn't have breast pockets. Since women wear bras anyway, they automatically have coverage of the key areas that humans seem to find so visually compelling. I think that's the main reason that women are more free to wear things that are more translucent. Human eyes seem designed to zero-in on those key areas, just as this thing is designed to focus on its key area of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI
Daryl...