"What was up with those giant Victorian skirts?"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Absentmindedeagle

Re: "What was up with those giant Victorian skirts?"

Post by Absentmindedeagle »

I had a Victorian dress from Amazon one time, was blue satin with a black ruffled underskirt. Absolutely loved wearing it around the house, with a hoop skirt or not. I had a 6-hoop crinoline that would hold the dress out to a magnificent circumference around me, and in all honesty it was easy enough for me to go about basic day-to-day stuff in (and it felt amazing). I even managed to sneak off into the woods several times in it (thank goodness for living in a semi-rural location), had no issue walking around and having a wonderful time. They're easier to walk in than a floor-sweeper on uneven terrain because the hoop keeps the hem away from your legs and feet and lets you walk fairly normally (so long as it's not sweeping the floor). Even managed to step on the stones across the creek behind the house without completely squishing the hoops to a more manageable position. Sitting down in them was easy enough, the hoops are quite forgivable. Definitely not something I'd wear in public, but so much fun for around-the-house.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

"Had"? What happened?

I've been out and about in my long skirts with a hoop (see "Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop") with decent results. I've received some ribbing on the matter -- as would be expected -- but never any real negativity.

Hoops are definitely a lot of fun to wear.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 am
https://youtu.be/3fah6qu-0bs

An interesting "weird history" YouTube video about the crinoline fad of the Victorian era.
Sheesh, those comments! There's even a few old dears bashing on how "awful" the 1950's crinolines supposedly were. Heaven forfend style come at the cost of any comfort whatsoever, and if it does, it of course must be the patriarchy at work! :roll: Whining philistines.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Elisabetta wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:44 pm
You pack on 10 pounds from drinking soda belive it or not then you eat Little Debbie cakes.That doesn't help either.I feel you though because I am struggling just get to get out of a certain weight range.
One of the best ways to lose weight is to lift weights and build muscle. Muscle uses more energy than almost anything and since it’s constantly consuming energy, weight starts to come off.

But you’re right, soda is a killer when it comes to weight. Even diet soda goofs up the body and doesn’t help.

Grew up on little Debbie. But I had one recently and they’re just not the same. Or maybe I changed.

Either way, good luck with the weight loss. A struggle for many