Quest for a suitable shirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Quest for a suitable shirt

Post by victor1964 »

There is a UK company called untuckit (untuckit.co.uk) that make a range of shirts that are designed to be worn "un-tucked". They are much shorter than normal shirts and are shaped more like a ladies top but in a mans shirt.

I prefer my shirts un-tucked and really like some of their products, however, I think their prices are way too high!!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Testing out my new linen shirt, batching concrete in the sun on a warm and humid day.
The skirt is a 11" cotton mini that is cooler than denim and I do wear it down the street rather than change - not that it takes much time to change a skirt, leaving boots on.
Shirt kept sun off and seemed to breath well and no buttons have popped off so far.
batching_P1052002s.jpg
Shirt tail (women's fitting) stayed well above the hem of the skirt.
batching_P1052005s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

denimini wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm I have found good mini skirts for hot weather but I am having trouble finding tops. I have looked on both sides of the aisle.
The favoured materials are linen, fine cotton and perhaps hemp or rayon.
Skin cancer country here so long or short sleeves that cover the shoulders and a well fitting collar to cover the neck.
Womens tops have better choice of material but most are too open around the neck.
Mens shirts have good collars but are far too long and worse still have tails that stick out below the hem of a mini skirt. I would like the option of not tucking in so it would need to just go past the waist of a low waisted skirt and not completely cover the mini. I have looked at shirt dresses and doing away with the skirt as an option for that reason.
I prefer polo type with just enough buttons to allow to go over the head. More buttons are too time consuming and too much maintenance. Press studs are good.
I am fairly open about colour or pattern so long as not too pale or dark which shows up the unavoidable dust.
I have seen a shirt that has a draw string waist and a short ruffle/peplum which would look good untucked.

Pics, links, posts and parcels gratefully received :)
I'd post pics except the retailer I buy from doesn't always maintain the catalogue pages for things they aren't currently selling. I almost uniformly shop in women's plus size stores these days. This solves both the problems of fit (for us rounder guys) and length. It doesn't solve the problem of material choice but I can usually find at least a couple of things in the linen and cotton families every year. Except for the buttons being on the wrong side, you wouldn't be able to identify my shirts as being made for women unless you were knowledgeable enough and examining the construction closely. The only thing about women's shirts I find I'd like to improve is that the pockets tend to be too small. I've even gotten used to 3/4 sleeves and find them quite practical now, not just odd-feeling.
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks Daryl. I had forgotten that buttons are still gendered. I never noticed on the recent linen shirts I had purchased and and just did up the buttons. I have checked the contents of my wardrobe and found that the new shirts have buttons on the left flap. Thus now that I can not claim innocence anymore, I researched why such a situation exists.
Two theories are:
In good old days of armed combat, the shield was held with the left hand and that side of the body faced the enemy, thus the armour was lapped from left to right so a sword cloud not slip through.
With the advent of buttoned clothing for wealthy women, the buttons were usually done up by a servant and were handed accordingly.

Well ....... I admit I don't have someone else doing up my buttons but conversely I am not planning any sword fights in armour, let alone linen.

If someone comments on the buttons there are a few responses possible, two being:
"My butler prefers it that way"
"I have given up on sword fights"
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I wear blouses a lot - because I prefer the tailored fit - they are shorter hemmed and a lot can be worn out/untucked too.
I am used to the buttons being the reverse - its no big deal. Mens shirts are too big in the tummy area and they look like a tent on me so I stopped wearing them.

I do think the advice of a polo works with a skirt - a fitted stretchy polo shirt can still look awesome with a skirt - and so do tank tops.

Not sure about a bodysuit - I wear bodies with a mini - but my full sleeve bodies are really an undergarment - and they are tight and warm - and my lighter bodies are spaghetti strapped etc - some of my bodies are underwired as fundamentally bodies are an undergarment.

cheers
NZF