Vintage dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Vintage dresses

Post by Ralph »

Epiceneguy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 pm Sticking with the vintage dress thing but a little away from the original idea, does anyone on here show any interest in Victorian era dresses with the bustles and layers etc.... Just curious?
Quite so! Again, we have the dual problem of being unable to find something that is both in my price range and in my size.
Ralph!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Dresses are difficult for me. I refuse to adopt fake breast to make them work ... As dresses tend to be formal, or semi-formal, most are fitted with larger bust lines in mind.

Arrrgggh!! Is it really asking too much that we get beyond the myths already?!

I expect that every single one of my dresses were designed for a bigger bustline than mine because I don't have one! Nonetheless, I've got photos from the last couple of days that maybe, maybe, maybe will demonstrate that all those things you've thought about dresses and where and how you can wear them ... well ... they ain't necessarily so!
Black Faux Wrap DVF w Cowl Neckline worn with Charlotte Russe Bodysuit.jpg
This is the outfit I wore to work today. That's a faux wrap dress from Diane Van Furstenberg over a black lace bodysuit. Does it look like it's not draping properly? I can assure you it has no such issue.

Do you see any breast forms or even padding in evidence? You better say "No!" because there isn't any.

Exhibit B

Same dress last night without the lace bodysuit:
Black Faux Wrap DVF w Cowl Neckline.jpg

Again, the dress is draping properly without any padding of any kind.

Finally, Exhibit C

The dress I wore to work yesterday.
Navy blue Tory Burch Sheath.jpg

A navy blue Tory Burch (She's a designer that today's professional women can't get enough of) sheath with black leatherette piping.

Again no padding. But it fits like a glove and it's flattering.

That's where the value of the kind of places I shop comes in. I get designer goods for a lot less than you're paying for new unisex skirts but mine look better and make me look better.

Nonetheless, at the end of the day, who cares? If you're happy wearing menswear skirts in dull, drab colors, then do it! Look, this isn't a competition to see who can be the most daring or get away with the most. None of us are getting away with anything! We're just being ourselves. I don't really care whether or not any of you wear dresses. It really is your choice. Just don't discard the possibility of dresses working for you out of hand. Get a good quality dress that actually fits you, (Sorry boys, the only way to find that out is to TRY. IT. ON. And just as you would with a new, freshly tailored suit, move around in your prospective dress; walk around in the dressing room, sit down, stand up stretch your arms up, stretch your arms across your chest. In short move as you normally would) and see how it looks, feels and makes you feel. If the answer to all 3 questions is "Good!," then don't let go of your dress march up to the counter and BUY IT! And then WEAR IT. In public!

And do all this with pride! You got the balls to be yourself!! (Sorry mods, I just had to put it that way.) More people will be more supportive of you than you could ever imagine! If for no other reason than you're demonstrating that you are your own man!

If you show some fashion sense (and no, that does not include hiding your beautiful dress under a man's shirt or pullover sweater), women will look at you admiringly because they can't believe a man could show such fashion sense and other men will admire you for your sheer courage and because the women are admiring you. (Yeah, we're all that kid of sheep.)

So, do yourself and the rest of the world a favor; wear what truly makes you happy and wear it with pride and panache. Nearly no one will think less of you for it and most people will be grateful that you did, if for no other reason than happiness is contagious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"So, do yourself and the rest of the world a favor; wear what truly makes you happy and wear it with pride and panache. Nearly no one will think less of you for it and most people will be grateful that you did, if for no other reason than happiness is contagious."

Just one word, Aye!

Steve
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:20 am It does look like it offers the ability to "cinch up", so that's an option. The square neckline might be a bit of an issue for a guy because it might not be all that flattering to someone without a meaningful bust.
I do have a meaningful bust. Unfortunately I also have a meaningful gut. :lol: :lol: :lol:
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:04 am Just don't discard the possibility of dresses working for you out of hand. Get a good quality dress that actually fits you, (Sorry boys, the only way to find that out is to TRY. IT. ON. And just as you would with a new, freshly tailored suit, move around in your prospective dress; walk around in the dressing room, sit down, stand up stretch your arms up, stretch your arms across your chest. In short move as you normally would) and see how it looks, feels and makes you feel.

f you show some fashion sense (and no, that does not include hiding your beautiful dress under a man's shirt or pullover sweater), women will look at you admiringly because they can't believe a man could show such fashion sense and other men will admire you for your sheer courage and because the women are admiring you. (Yeah, we're all that kid of sheep.)

well said PDX, and you wear dresses with style.

for my 10 cents worth - and in the interests of empowering anyone who desires to wear a dress to go out there and try them on. You do have to.

Vintage dresses as shown have that simple a-line silhouette from a cinched waist, thats why I suspect they may appeal? The bodice is not an easy fit - and I doubt that a mans shape would do up in it - like a corset too - I have a couple of bustiers/corsets - the ties need to be in a line and evenly spaced meaning you need your waist and bust to get the defined shape - or else its just loose up top - or you will have a wide gap in the lacings at your waistline which would look funny. And if its a properly boned bodice(which ironically is comfier but much more firm) well its just not going to fit you without the body - in particular it will need your hips to sit on and you really need to hold the garment to see how it is very much fixed in that shape.

PDX's advice on dresses is bang-on !

I wear a lot of dresses in all manner of styles - and there are some I just can't wear cause the shape is wrong. I have breasts/curves and I still have trouble getting dresses!!! ( I am skinny and average sized bust). I would say false padding etc will not solve the problem either!

Dresses are so variable in their shape and that also is between brands - so some brands of dresses are definitely targeting different body shapes - which is good and bad depending on your body. For example - there are some gorgeous Cue dresses in Australia that I like - but I have to go up a size in order to fit my bust - which makes my waistline unfitted - so there's a brand that is made for flat chested taller women for instance.

My point is everyone has to try dresses on because they are all varied and we all need the dress to sit right on us. Shop around and always try on!

Cheers
NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've worn dresses regularly over the last couple of years, everything from long sleeved turtleneck numbers in fall and winter to low cut, spaghetti strapped specials in spring and summer, and it's an absolute blast. The important thing is to find something you like and think will look good on you and go from there. It also helps to know your size and how it converts to women's sizing so you'll purchase something you know will fit well. For me, shopping for dresses is almost as fun as wearing them, and it's an exciting experience. Just go out there and do it!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Thank you gentlemen.

Like both NZ, Jeff and the song said, "You've got t0o shop around.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.