Warning: Completely Unmentionables.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Warning: Completely Unmentionables.

Post by jamodu »

This is a slightly embarrassing post. If it gets deleted I will fully understand, as it deals with the ultimate in unmentionables. Even so, my experience might help others in a similar situation...

A few months ago I suffered with a bad urinary infection, with associated bleeding. It was both painful and uncomfortable over several weeks. I didn't get much sleep for the first three weeks. The initial course of antibiotics during the first week seemed to help, but after finishing the course the bleeding returned. Fortunately, the second round of antibiotics knocked-out the underlying infection.

To protect against the resultant emissions that accompanied such an infection, I had unsuccessfully tried Tena for Men. Being a slim-built guy, these were far too big for my stature, with the sides of the Tena poking out of the sides of my underwear. Neither did they stay in place very well. This simply added to my ongoing misery.

Now, here's the unmentionables part (do not read further if it offends you)...

My Wife strongly suggested that I try/use Women's sanitary products instead. I was horrified at the mere suggestion - which is at odds with my freestyle fashion choices. She persisted in her recommendation. I was embarrassed by her insistance. Fortunately, I already own a collection of full-brief knickers, so it wouldn't be a problem in using them. She demonstrated how to affix one of her Always Ultra pads to my knickers. To my complete surprise, they suited my male anatomy. My embarrassment disappeared after a few hours of wearing.

The result was that I then didn't have to complete a rapid sprint to the bathroom when the sudden urge to go occurred (that otherwise would have resulted in 'an accident'). For added security, the 'rhomboidal/triangular' gusset in my Tights/Pantyhose kept the pad securely in place at all times.

Overall, using the Always product meant that I was not completely housebound. My Wife has been very considerate to me during this very difficult time - and I'm very grateful for her initial - albeit very surprising suggestion.

For what it's worth, for others who might unfortunately find themselves in a similar situation, I have discovered that Always Ultra 2 are the most appropriate for the male anatomy for use during the night, while Always Dailies Long Plus pads are more suitable for wearing throughout the day. Neither product is visible when wearing normal male attire (Trousers/Pants).

I'm far, far better now - but the occasional bladder leakage means, that on occasion, I still sometimes wear Always pads for confidence when I'm out and about.

Again, my profound apologies if all this offends anyone - but urinary infections do affect Men on occasion. I'm simply providing one solution that would never had occurred to me had it not been for my Wife's insistent intervention. I hope it helps someone else, but I completely and fully understand if my posting is deleted by the site administrator.
Uncle Al

Re: Warning: Completely Unmentionables.

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi jamodu :D

Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations with health issues.
These things can, and do, affect anyone - male and/or female.

You have a "Precious Gem" for a wife and companion :!:

When you get to feeling better, thank her with a special gift, like a
new book, flowers, a 'Spa Day' etc.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I have to admit that's quite unconventionnal to use those kind of products :D I think I wouldn't have considered that option in your place!
Btw, that's always good to know. I never had any infection issue at that region (and I hope to never have any) but I had another similar issue (due to a deformation somewhere, it did need chirurgy) that makes me know your feeling of these weeks. Glad for you that you're better now! :)

Edit: I see nothing offending or unmentionnable in your story ;)
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

If I was faced with the same health issue as jamodu, I would strongly consider using the same women's sanitary products that he has recommended.
Great idea! :)
What I would find very embarrassing would be purchasing the items myself, off a supermarket shelf. :oops:
Shopping for sanitary pads whilst dressed in a skirt, hose and heels might look even worse to some other folk than buying the items whilst wearing trousers?
I guess that adding the aforementioned items onto a home delivery of groceries would be my preferred option. :wink:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm not offended...

You had a medical situation, and found a practical solution from the women's side of the aisle...

Can't imagine why anyone would be bothered.

Hope you're doing better.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Jamoud so you wore a pad ain't no big deal. You do what you have to do.

I have recently gone thru an enlarged prostrate with all the associated urinary problems . on top of that I had to endure 42 radiation treatments for prostrate cancer.

In addition to always having a change of clothes in the car my first purchase was " always . ultra lights ". which I had to wear for a period oops wrong word a couple of weeks until I regained control.

And yes the only time i felt uneasy was when I was in the store buying the pads while dressed in a skirt. Having someone there to assist you had to be a great relief.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:48 pm And yes the only time i felt uneasy was when I was in the store buying the pads while dressed in a skirt. Having someone there to assist you had to be a great relief.
I get them all the time for the girls when they need them...

Nobody's ever said anything about it.

I guess if some smart ass asked some stupid question, "are those for you??"

I guess I'd just look at him and say "yeah.... I like to roll them into a joint and smoke them!" :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Thank you all for your kind responses. At my worst, I was running a temperature of nearly 40c (although I didn’t feel like it). My Doctor wanted to admit me to Hospital. He was concerned that the infection might affect my Kidneys - but on calling the Hospital, they wouldn’t admit me during the height of the pandemic. Despite this, my humour prevailed, in joking to my Wife that ‘I had experienced my first Period’. I hope that it was my last.

Even so, given that we can’t admit to wearing Bra’s or Knickers (as ‘unmentionables’) on this forum, I thought that admitting to wearing Women’s sanitary pads would be anathema - but it was such an important issue that I felt compelled to talk about it.

It annoys me that the Tena Men’s products are ‘one size’ - for those Men that are XXXL - rather than those of us that are M. By comparison, Women have an infinite range of available sizes to choose from.

In the same sense that I would not have expected my Wife to insist that I must wear her Skirts, or that I must wear her Tights, I certainly would never ever have expected her to persistently insist that I must wear one of her sanitary pads. As for buying them for myself, thank goodness for regular Internet grocery shopping.

I don’t have the same problem in buying Tights, for example. Earlier this week, in searching for the correct size in the Women’s section, it was amusing when a sales assistant asked me if I needed any help. If only she knew.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jamodu.
I'd say a big thank you for sharing your experience.
Rather than being unmentionable, you may have saved someone from going through the same difficulties.
In a lot of situations it is the "unmentionable", that can cause the greatest misery.
I'd also say a huge shout out to your good lady for her very practicality and good sense,
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:23 am .... I like to roll them into a joint and smoke them!" :lol:
Don't be tempted to try, they smell terrible when they are smouldering.  I've had to clean used ones out of an incinerator when they failed to destruct properly.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

jamodu wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 am Thank you all for your kind responses. At my worst, I was running a temperature of nearly 40c (although I didn’t feel like it). My Doctor wanted to admit me to Hospital. He was concerned that the infection might affect my Kidneys - but on calling the Hospital, they wouldn’t admit me during the height of the pandemic. Despite this, my humour prevailed, in joking to my Wife that ‘I had experienced my first Period’. I hope that it was my last.

Even so, given that we can’t admit to wearing Bra’s or Knickers (as ‘unmentionables’) on this forum, I thought that admitting to wearing Women’s sanitary pads would be anathema - but it was such an important issue that I felt compelled to talk about it.

It annoys me that the Tena Men’s products are ‘one size’ - for those Men that are XXXL - rather than those of us that are M. By comparison, Women have an infinite range of available sizes to choose from.

In the same sense that I would not have expected my Wife to insist that I must wear her Skirts, or that I must wear her Tights, I certainly would never ever have expected her to persistently insist that I must wear one of her sanitary pads. As for buying them for myself, thank goodness for regular Internet grocery shopping.

I don’t have the same problem in buying Tights, for example. Earlier this week, in searching for the correct size in the Women’s section, it was amusing when a sales assistant asked me if I needed any help. If only she knew.
I think as this site doesn't want to fetishize these necessary items of clothing in our wardrobes, we have steered away from discussion of underwear. I think it just naturally goes better with a skirt, as mens boxers with a skirt feel uncomfortable. I had a bladder infection and someone too suggested pads to me, and how to manage and change them. It helped when at work or out and about, and "granny panties" make a lot more sense than anything racy. I prefer stockings (hold ups) to tights when nature calls. I just buy my sanitary pads when needed, despite puzzled looks if not at a self service till :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I hear you: following my recent traumatic experience, given the prolonged hot Summer here, I was encouraged to buy 2 expensive Suspender/Garter Belts, plus several pairs of quality stockings, and separately, several pairs of Hold-Ups.

I didn’t protest.
Dottie

Post by Dottie »

Gentlemen ( and others )
This is as demonstrated by jamodu a perfect example of "adapt and overcome".
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I don't see any problem with buying sanitary towels. I've done it several times, though never for myself. I'm shopping for the whole household so there's no reason why I wouldn't buy them if a member of the household needs them. You'd have to be a very bored checkout operator to make a remark about it, because the customer will say "they're not for me" and your wisecrack will fall flat.

Women buy things designed for or marketed to men all the time. Whether it's for themselves or for a man, I very much doubt that they give it a second thought. Why would a man worry about doing the same but vice versa?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I remember when you went to the drug store and the boxes were all wrapped up in plain colored paper. You had to know what color paper your size was and there weren't very many sizes then either.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.