Can man look good in dress?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can man look good in dress?

Post by SkirtsDad »

What answer do you want? The "caricature " that you posted appears to be at a carnival, or similar, and is most likely about raising funds in a light hearted manner. I don't believe it to be an attempt for a man to look like a woman, be a liberated man wearing a dress, or even someone trans going about their own business.

In terms of masculinity, well, it's a social construct, so, if you are in the West, in 2020, you cannot "maintain masculinity" if you are wearing a dress. How people in the skirt cafe look at it is another matter. A lot of feminine fashion is about disempowerment. whether that be stiletto heals, bound feet, or a hobble skirt....i.e. it is accentuating fragility or vulnerability that is widely perceived to be a pre-requisite of femininity. For me that extends to a clutch bag.... ditch the bag and ask me again lol. Would a better question be "Can a man wear a dress without looking feminine?"...Hmm... here's a few ways how to not look "feminine" in a dress....

ImageAlan Carr
ImageRoy-Hudd in panto
ImageRoxanne Edwards - bodybuilder

Still not sure? Get over it, it's a social construct!

BTW, for anyone out there who doesn't know me (there must be some), yes, I wear dresses and I celebrate men who have the courage to wear one too.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Who really cares whether they look masculine or feminine as SD said they are social constructs anyway. I was really surprised when a sales assistant commented that I must be brave to wear a pink jumper I was purchasing. It had honestly never occurred to me there was any issue. Wear what makes you feel good and you’ll look good.
:roll:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

What Shilo said many times over!! :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know... genderblender bears a striking resemblance to my doctor! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Does your doctor wear dresses as well?😷
:roll:
GenderBlender

Post by GenderBlender »

Shilo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:50 am Does your doctor wear dresses as well?😷
🤓
Do you want to find out more about us? You can check our blog.
Gender Blender - Blog About Fashion Freedom
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Shilo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:50 am Does your doctor wear dresses as well?😷
I rather doubt it.. though it's nice to know he could pull one off of he wanted! :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I would say any one can look in good in dress,
The dress just needs a simple clean look to it,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:46 pm
Spirou003 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:28 pm In a general manner, medieval dresses for men are looking masculine to me, but that's the only general example I can give you right now (there are probably some others).
To be honest, I think the masculine dresses need to be (re)invented. Most dresses are made to accentuate the female figure, which we don't have. Invariably they're too tight round the shoulders. Recently I've been looking into how fashion design works and it's fascinating. But also non-trivial. It must be possible to make a dress that looks masculine, while also being casual. What makes something look masculine anyway? Isn't that just a matter of what you're used to?
Spirou003 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:28 pm
The fun is actually that I hardly find any guy masculine in dress, but that can happens more regurlarly with skirt :D
Skirts are much more forgiving that way. You can pair if with something else and so have many more possibilities.
I'm with Rode and Spirou on this one.

I have a few dresses that I was lucky enough to find That fit decently in the shoulders, a little baggy in the middle, men have to buy a dress that fits in the shoulders rather than by waist size.

Just like the male marketed skirt the male marketed dress is a long, long way off. Probably much further than the skirt.

I largely gave up looking at / for dresses, always finding a problem due to fitment problems. Plunging necklines, or issues with the sleeves. I get cold easy so I don't care for sleeveless dress or Large neck lines.

I just wear skirts with my men's shirts.
For best and most comfortable fits.
And easy to change entire look with different shirt and same skirt.

I did find a Hanes tee shirt dress. That I wear as a night shirt. It basically is just a very long plain t shirt.
HNS_5664_Red_Front.jpg
Not something I would wear out and about. Comes in one size, fits like a snug xl t shirt so if you're big it won't fit you. I'm 186 lbs 5 foot 6 inches. fits me now ok. When I weighed 200 it was too snug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

People have commented on this before-that it is difficult to find a dress that will fit well on a man. Multiple measurements to take into consideration for a single garment. Its much simpler with skirts.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I have not seriously considered wearing a dress, but if I did
it might be one of these utilitarian blue denim types.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5f-UueJmDP/
Unfortunately this nice example is from New Zealand.
Vige

Post by Vige »

Seems like a well-crafted shirt-dress would work for men. Something with the right fit and structure. Of course, style is subjective. I have a bodycon minidress I like to wear as an under-layer. I like the way if fits and feels, but I don’t think it looks good. So, looser skirt over and maybe a light shirt too.
hops

Post by hops »

I have several of those hanes tee shirt dresses. If you want one look at the jms ones they are better.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, as I have seen here a man can look good in a dress. I have tried a couple of dresses because I liked the simplicity and lack of constriction at the waist but I didn't like what I saw in the mirror, particularly side view ........... so back to mini skirts for me. I sometimes wear a dress on summer nights and also as a night shirt but have all mirrors turned towards the wall and curtains drawn (oops, I don't have curtains).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Bertino56 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:31 pm I have not seriously considered wearing a dress, but if I did
it might be one of these utilitarian blue denim types.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5f-UueJmDP/
Unfortunately this nice example is from New Zealand.
I recognise this from BearBros here in New Zealand! They don't really sell clothing but they do have aprons and some hospo industry stuff in denim.
That denim pinafore would be great over a tee shirt with white sneakers - or a nude pump perhaps.
Quite a balanced look for anyone to wear.

cheers
NZF