Can man look good in dress?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can man look good in dress?

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, I'd say it's entirely possible for a man to look good in a dress, even something as simple as this example which I wore on an outing yesterday:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I don't recall where I saw this pic., but I somehow put it in store. The guy probably is abut 6'3" in his bare feet, young & slim, so the little floral number sits well on him.

He's probably walking his dog, too.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 am I don't recall where I saw this pic., but I somehow put it in store. The guy probably is abut 6'3" in his bare feet, young & slim, so the little floral number sits well on him.

He's probably walking his dog, too.

Tom
I must say he does look remarkable! I’d hazard to say he’s at least a good twenty to twenty-five pounds lighter than I am (currently at 192) which makes his appearance all the more amazing. I’m a tad envious.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That looks very much like a photoshop /body swap picture. I wouldn’t pay much attention to it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ahh yes... beware the standards we set for ourselves.... for it may be a photoshopped impossibility.

So many photos I see of men... or uh.. "men" on seemingly downright feminine frames, hips, etc...

I call B.S.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 am That looks very much like a photoshop /body swap picture. I wouldn’t pay much attention to it.
You are right - it is!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Thats a nice dress - I'd definitely wear that dress - I would prefer a high heel for style and to an extent comfort too.
(of course if walking the dog ... and the dog's not a sausage dog or something little then if it can pull me - I would wear flats - cause thats awkward in heels)

I do like the pic - but its definitely a guys face cleverly superimposed on another image - well thats my guess anyway.

Aside from that it does illustrate the simplicity of a nice dress -and the ability to wear your arms and legs out. So much nicer in summer !

cheers
NZF
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

An old cove once said to me "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see" and that was well before the days of internet.
I am sure that there are some contributors here who could emulate that look - in real life.

There's a challenge!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I'd definitely wear that dress - but with a black pump - or perhpas a white or nude pump as its more summery?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:20 amI am sure that there are some contributors here who could emulate that look - in real life.
I likely could as I have a very lanky frame. However, my prominent white beard, waist-length ponytail, and broad shoulders would likely break the deal. However, this summer in the midst of the worst heat and humidity, I did occasionally sally forth into public wearing miniskirts and camisoles that could well approximate the photograph (save for the above).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

a similar dress in some ways - but plain black - an old pic of me from about 7 yrs ago.

its a matter of having a simple silhouette that suits your figure I think.

NZF
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

here is a dress from an Australian retailer fashion brand CUE - I have a lot of their dresses. It was one of their limited edition summer collections from around 2012.. I think - perhaps give or take a year. Its a basic zip back dress in a lightweight graphic printed cotton with floaty layering on it shoulders and bodice.

I think anyone could wear a style like this because its a simple statement dress - its all about the dress and thats all you need with the right shoes.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I think this dress looks good for me, although my wife calls it a "jumper" it's different from the British "jumper."
DSCF5626cs.jpg
My wife likes it better with the sweater on, so it's not obvious it's a dress.
DSCF5625cs.jpg
My wife made a positive comment on it that she likes the emboidery.
DSCF5628s.jpg
DSCF5629cs.jpg
I like the embroidery, too, but not the rhinestones. I don't know if I can remove them without damaging the dress.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Jim,
I think what you have there would be called a pinafore dress on this side of the pond. Jumper over here tends to imply a (normally woolly) top half garment.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:25 pm Jim,
I think what you have there would be called a pinafore dress on this side of the pond. Jumper over here tends to imply a (normally woolly) top half garment.
The first time I heard "jumper" used to refer to a sweater, I was slightly confused for a moment. That's a very British term, I think.