RipSkirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

RipSkirt

Post by FranTastic444 »

Came across this company via FaceBook ads. A little on the pricey side, but I like the styles and materials. Seriously tempted to try one of their skirts.

Most recent review on their site is from a guy -
Review by LFD on 15 Aug 2020 review stating Non discriminatory too
Years and years (and more years) I was stationed at Hickam and did a lot of sailing/diving and used my wife's wrap-around. Just got a Ripskirt I saw on web.and love it on a water day. Like on/off ease, dries quickly and comfort. Hope I don't ruin your sales image but the skirt is great and I'm a.man. Great product-well thought Probably better not tell anyone it is a great skirt for males though.
Uncle Al

Re: RipSkirt

Post by Uncle Al »

A great find :!: :D
I'm not sure the XXL would fit me though as my waist is around 42-44". :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

I got two of these years ago, one for my wife, one for me.
Very nice quality.
When I first purchased they only had one length, now they have multiple.
I use as a beach coverup over a bikini.
I used once when hiking.
Ken
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

Bummer! I haven't seen any guys here in Hawaii wearing them, I would but my Hawaiian more fare wife would strenuously object !
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I saw this ad the other day and ordered one. It was shipped yesterday. Can’t wait to get it!
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Mine arrived yesterday. An XL. It said it’s a 16-18. It’s a little snug. But not too bad. Fabric and feel is amazing! I highly recommend if you are thinking of buying.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

photoguy207 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:06 am Mine arrived yesterday. An XL. It said it’s a 16-18. It’s a little snug. But not too bad. Fabric and feel is amazing! I highly recommend if you are thinking of buying.
An XL. It said it’s a 16-18. It’s a little snug.

Any recommendations on maybe going a size up (if possible) ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I think the sizing is rather accurate. I am more of an 18 now and I am the end of the Velcro. In the length 2,there is only one size above XL. I thought there might be some stretch to the fabric, but no. From reading the reviews. If anything for most they are slightly big, at least in the smaller sizes The fabric and the wrap is extremely comfortable.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtedMarine wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:25 am Bummer! I haven't seen any guys here in Hawaii wearing them, I would but my Hawaiian more fare wife would strenuously object !
Consider an alternative - the Sport Kilt - it fastens by Velcro and comes in wider range of sizing and make no mistake about a man wearing a tartan kilt.
LINK to sport kilt: https://sportkilt.com/

I have several SportKilts with a length of 14-16 inches in my waist size all with the Velcro fastening.
YES these are from the other side of the aisle
The fabric while maybe a bit heavier than the polyester Hawaiian version it keeps the kilt (skirt) more or less unflappable.
What is worn beneath the savage beast is your option if wearing as beach attire
From time to time they offer free promotional shipping and if your order is large enough it is altogether free.

Another option is the Stillwater kilt LINK: https://store.stillwaterkilts.com/
Order the economy kilt less all the bells whistles accessories and custom tailor the length to your specs.

The reason you don't see much of guys wearing skirts in general is the main topic - theme of the SkirtCafe
and it is fashionably correct to wear those old long baggy pants (beach comers) - speedos now being so passé.
One must have a degree of intestinal fortitude to push the envelope of wearing the forbidden fruit which was formerly ours !
That and your marine comrades (and wife) probably wanting to get a rib at your choice of beach wear.
You probably are not sporting your gear at Camp Smith on the leeward side of Oahu but the Kaneohe MCS on the windward side
has some great uncrowded beaches to enjoy the freedom of the skirt.

SIDE NOTE:
About the sizing - need a tad more range in the waist - add a small Velcro patch to the waist to extend the size - beware may
open the portion where the wrap skirt meets showing an bit more attractive leg ! LOL !

Reading the reviews of the RipSkirt it appears that they are customer service orientated - suggest contacting them about
making even larger sizes and lengths in custom sizing - one size certainly does not fit all here !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I just put the skirt back on and checked to see where I am on the velcro. I would say the sizing is rather accurate. I am at the end of the velcro strip which is a few inches long, but the other small velcro on the front flap that sticks to it is completely on it. There are two velcro strips on each side of the front wrap of the skirt that is long enough so it covers both legs. Could be taken for a kilt actually.
ChrisJD

Post by ChrisJD »

I’ve had one of these for a while and it’s my favourite skirt. Can’t remember where I got it which is unfortunate as I’d love another one (or two), can’t find anyone who sells them in UK.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

ChrisJD wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:55 pm I’ve had one of these for a while and it’s my favourite skirt. Can’t remember where I got it which is unfortunate as I’d love another one (or two), can’t find anyone who sells them in UK.
It seems that RipSkirt will be shipping to the UK and EU this spring. You can sign up to an emailing list to be notified when they're ready to go.
https://ripskirthawaii.com/pages/aloha-eu-uk

BTW Welcome to SkirtCafe. :thewave:
ChrisJD

Post by ChrisJD »

Thanks, I’ve signed up.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

These were my first foray into skirts and I still wear them all the time around the pool and house, mostly the shorter version. They're starting to add a few patterns with pockets, but I haven't tried those yet. The velcro fit is hard to beat.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

They look great! we just need to get them to drop the "Every woman needs", or post some pictures of male models!