Leggery

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Leggery

Post by Ralph »

So a lot of "I'm stuck at home and I don't have to dress up for work" posts on social media have involved what people are wearing on the bottom half. Some prefer leggings and some prefer yoga pants. When they provide photos, I find that I can't actually tell the difference.

I'm sure it's one of those linguistic grey areas that mean whatever people want it to mean, but here I am surrounded by a bunch of fashionistos, so... what do you all consider the definitive characteristics that separate leggings from yoga pants, if any? Since a lot of terminology varies wildly on each side of the pond, it would help if you indicate at least what continent you occupy.

To start with, I'm not even considering tights. Tights and/or pantyhose are too thin and stretchy to be worn in lieu of something else covering the dangly bits - be it a tunic, a dress, trousers, whatever. They are also almost always footed, whereas my limited understanding of leggings and yoga pants is that they are (almost?) always footless.

So... is there a difference, or are they different words for the same garment?
Ralph!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Leggery

Post by rode_kater »

As far as I can tell, the only difference is for the wearer themselves. For others the difference is almost unnoticeable. One site explains it so:
The main difference between yoga pants and leggings is the thickness of the waistband where in all Yoga pants you will have a thick sometime double fabric covering your waistband but in the same time very flexible so you won’t feel pressure.
The yoga pants are tight in the butt area but become more loose as you go down the leg all the way to the foot.
https://bestleggingsdaily.com/differenc ... -leggings/
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Ralph wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:44 am So a lot of "I'm stuck at home and I don't have to dress up for work" posts on social media have involved what people are wearing on the bottom half. Some prefer leggings and some prefer yoga pants. When they provide photos, I find that I can't actually tell the difference.

I'm sure it's one of those linguistic grey areas that mean whatever people want it to mean, but here I am surrounded by a bunch of fashionistos, so... what do you all consider the definitive characteristics that separate leggings from yoga pants, if any? Since a lot of terminology varies wildly on each side of the pond, it would help if you indicate at least what continent you occupy.

To start with, I'm not even considering tights. Tights and/or pantyhose are too thin and stretchy to be worn in lieu of something else covering the dangly bits - be it a tunic, a dress, trousers, whatever. They are also almost always footed, whereas my limited understanding of leggings and yoga pants is that they are (almost?) always footless.

So... is there a difference, or are they different words for the same garment?
IMHO, yoga pants are just that pants, they have actual flared legs.
Leggings are tight all the way to the ankle thought many women call them Yoga Pants.
You will also find that Yoga Shorts & Bike Shorts are the same thing but real bike shorts have padding for the saddle.
I see women wear Tights as leggings, but if you can see their undies through the fabric they are not leggings.

Yoga Pants

Leggings

Tights: can be footed or footless, and require a skirt of dress over them.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Thanks, Phat! Those distinctions make a lot of sense, although the tights photo had entirely more detail than I needed :oops:
Ralph!
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

There are also medical compression tights. There thicker then pantyhose and tighter fit, Not as see through as well.
I need to wear them 90% of the time. No probs with a skirt.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt