Dresses marketed to both men and women

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses marketed to both men and women

Post by Grok »

Or, possibly, create your own garment as a DIY project.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Nobody mentions Skirtcraft.com ? I love the skirts they make. I own 4 Unaligned skirts. These skirts are really unisex, and with $79 not too expensive given the fact that it is not a mass production skirt yet .

I'm a transgender woman and I wore those skirts as a man in public for almost a year.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah, but Carl, that crossing of a few feet may just as well be a chasm a thousand feet wide for the majority of men, more's the pity. I sometimes make that journey but seldom see a skirt I would want to buy. Most of my collection have come from ebay or charity shops.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Skirtcraft.com looks interesting. However, I estimate it'd cost 50% extra to get it shipped to the EU once you take into account VAT & import fees. That could be reduced significantly by bulk ordering, or finding someone to bring some with them on a flight.

It's still almost worth it, if only to prove the demand is there.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I have two Skirtcraft skirts, one of each type, and I'd say it was definitely worth the expense of having them sent to England. But earlier this year I ordered an Adventure Skirt and a kilt from https://www.purplerainskirts.com/ and, to my astonishment, they escaped not only VAT but the Royal Mail's outrageous £8 customs clearance fee. Sometimes you get lucky.

Incidentally, I suspect that something about the way my black Purple Rain lightweight shirt hangs makes passers-by mistake it for men's shorts. At any rate, it hardly ever seems to attract attention in the street, and I've been wearing it all the time during our recent hour weather.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I would consider both Purple Rain and Skirtcraft, but neither make them large enough for my (admittedly huge) bulk.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

But neither skirtcraft nor purple rain are dresses...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I wear skirts and dresses presenting as both a man and a woman (not at the same time!). On balance I prefer dresses. If you buy a dress that is not fitted with full length arms that goes on over the head you will usually find that it works just as well for the male anatomy as the female one. I am currently wearing a green cord pinafore dress from the current sale in White Stuff over an old green mosaic pattern blouse. No darts in either. Though I am wearing it with a bra and forms, there is nothing in the design of either that requires a bust. Maybe if retailers did something to make men feel more comfortable about wearing skirts and dresses the current retail slump would end - after all you could theoretically double the size of the market.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

When you mention Purple Rain I think of Prince 💜
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have never found any of the lines that are marketed to Men & Women or UNisex to have an item anyone would want to wear and they are always really expensive.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

My experience with dresses has been a little different than what Rivegauche describes.

Most pullover dresses lay flat on my chest without any suspect ripples. However, most of the dresses that appeal to me do have darts to better fit the female form, but interestingly, the simple addition of "breast petals," self-adhesive, silicon pasties designed to suppress one's nipples, provides enough extra pectoral mass to suffice in most of those cases. To be clear, said enhancements do not make me look like I have boobs, just the kind of moobs (male pectorals) that I probably would have if I had made a habit of rigorous fitness training.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 am the simple addition of "breast petals," self-adhesive, silicon pasties designed to suppress one's nipples
horrible inventions for nipple control - I dislike wearing them - would you not wear a t shirt bra? Its more comfortable - or at least I think they are.

NZF
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

JennC03 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 pm When you mention Purple Rain I think of Prince 💜
Same here.

What impressed me about the purple rain page. Is they have several pictures of men in their adventure kilt skirt, and a actual consumer testimony.

We are getting there. The entrance of men in skirts to society. At least a niche market. Hopefully will go main stream soon.
Purple rain
Macabi
Skirtcraft

That's three companies, and they have all been around for 4 plus years I think. Hope they continue to thrive.

I would not mind owning one or more of each. I like the look of Macabi the best. The cost is what kills the motivation to get any of them. All too pricey for me. I don't buy anything designer or in the fad clothing lines. And I'm not going to start now on skirts. I can get a comparable looking skirt for under $20.oo and add snaps or tie strings myself.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.