@jvdd on TikTok

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

@jvdd on TikTok

Post by FranTastic444 »

Some of his videos feature skirt wearing.

Here.

Here.

Here.

Here.

Here.

Which led me to this guy

Here.

Here.

Here.

Here.

Never knew that "femboy Friday" was a thing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: @jvdd on TikTok

Post by FranTastic444 »

So, I've looked into this some more. My reason for the original posting was my initial interest in the fact that a group outside the Skirt Cafe demographic had embraced the skirt. The contributors seem to come from a broad church. Those I linked to are, I think, cis-gender "pretty boys" (as some of the others on the group call them) who are mainly looking to attract girls. There are also some guys who are giving off a vibe that seems to cater more for the gay market. There is a lot of representation from the non-binary corp (both male and female at birth) and a bunch of females who seem to either love or loath the whole movement. Some of the guys are clearly channeling a Kurt Cobain influence and the goth / emo subcultures seem to be pretty well represented. There is what seems like a running joke about a Hooters staffed by guys in female attire (Femboy Hooters) and, being teens, there is some content of a sexual nature!

In among loads of teens lip-syncing to some very questionable music (and either flippin' the bird (as they say) or doing a Winston Churchill V for victory and sometimes doing both in quick succession), there are a smattering of contributors who seem to be genuinely interested in expanding their horizons when it comes to fashion. On one perusal I did come across a 'shaming' video of an older guy (typical Skirt Cafe demographic) at a train station (I think in Seattle) but I've since been unable to find it so maybe it was removed by mods. I have also come across a couple of older guys who have featured in videos - links below if you are interested.

Overall then, an interesting diversion. There are clearly some guys in there who are very much in keeping with the Skirt Cafe ethos of presenting as male whilst wearing clothing that has been pigeon-holed as female only, but there is a whole bunch of other stuff going on in the same group.

By coincidence, I came across an article yesterday that flagged TikTok as being particularly stealthy with regards to grabbing personal data (nothing illegal as far as I can see, just cookie mining and the like - probably no worse than what Facebook and Google are already doing). With this in mind I'd recommend keeping away from the app, but if you do want to check this out you can search via Google or similar and get an idea of the content.

Example 1.

Example 2.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

CAN'T VIEW - PAGE NOT AVAILABLE !

Must LOGIN to TikTok

Please post commonly accessible data !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Woah, steady there tiger :blue:

I've been accessing this content without creating an account or logging in. No idea why it should be different for you??? I tend to have Facebook and Hotmail permanently logged in, not sure if that makes any difference. Just logged out of both and I can still see the videos. Browser choice / browser settings maybe???
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I think the younger generations don't have the same hangups as Boomers, so pigeon holing and categories of either clothing or other societal norms is just mot their thing... it is "me against the world, like my style or piss off" kind of logic. Look at the likes of EJ Johnson, Joshohhgosh and countless Instagrammers. As there are more platforms to show the world who they are, or to just head out "into the wild" dressed as they are, there's no real trepidation.

Mark as in Mark, who frequently takes his skirted pictures at train stations, doesn't seem to get much attention from younger folk (there was a picture of him in a black and white check skirt, the young man in the near background seems oblivious to this). I guess more acceptance of LGBT has helped people not bother to focus on who is wearing what, or why :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

My go-to site for min-in-skirts content has mainly been Pinterest, but I recently had reason to go back to an Instagram account I set up a while back but don't really make much use of. There is some really, really interesting stuff under the hashtags like #meninskirts, #manskirt, #menskirt, #skirtsformen and a host of variations (dresses, heels etc.).

Forum members Mark Bryan and Gender Blender are all over these hashtags (and both look great in their various posts). There are also lots of other individuals posting some great photos - myzennolan, skirts_for_men, rtl3328 among many others.

From the above, I found this great site that lists a number of kilt makers. It has a bunch of videos that look like they might be of interest to some on here.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

new2skirts wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm I think the younger generations don't have the same hangups as Boomers, so pigeon holing and categories of either clothing or other societal norms is just mot their thing..
I believe somebody once said that change comes from the young. :!:
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Thread resurrection time. I bumped into this old post of mine whilst looking for something else. I'm still doing a lot of vicarious livin' through Instagram but I've largely moved over to a set of creators who are nearer my own age.

Sad to see that rtl3328, who I followed from his early days when he was experimenting with tights (before moving over to skirts and the occasional dress), has decided to close down his posts. Ironically, his downfall came when he broke free from only skirting in the privacy of his own bedroom to "outing himself" and wearing skirts in public. He decided at that point that Instagram had served its purpose for him and was no longer needed. Good luck to him in his future endeavours.

Here are some of the other accounts I follow - would be interested if you can suggest others.

freeman4styles. PVC aside, his is a style that I'll be trying out some time. He looks like a taller guy and he has shown me that boots, tights and a short skirt with male clothing from the waist up can really work (Mark Bryan has also shown me this, of course :-) ).

creator.tienshi. A swing dancer who carries off the wearing of a dress better than most. Not a prolific poster.

romainfashion. Grade 'A' superstar skirter. I aspire one day to recreate many of his looks.

daniel334407. A lot of what this guy wears is not for me, but I have to admire the fact that he is definitely not parroting what a woman would wear. There is what appears to be a deliberate lack of coordination in some of the outfits that he puts together. Good to see his partner and family on some of the shots - he doesn't appear to have the challenges that many of us on here face in this respect.

cossy.camille. A French gent who is rocking an age-appropriate, classy attire.

kiltyclipper. Would love to meet this guy some day. Steampunk vibe with kilts (as the name suggests)

heyy_moosh. Of a younger generation and largely following the styling of a 20-something female (often at the more casual end of the spectrum, but will occasional detours). Not posted in about a year and I know they have commented in the past of periodic bouts of loss of confidence in posting to social media.

inspo_queerfashion. Very slender frame, so can get away with many outfits that other guys wouldn't be able to pull off.

tommyskirts. Occasional poster. Mostly wears kilts - like his style

terrysingh.nyc. I think he is brand proprietor / main model for this like of clothes with the tailoring done by others. Would love one of these outfits to wear at a fancy event some time

genderblender1. One time member on this forum (not sure if he is still around). Very classy outfits, photographed in gorgeous location.

the.kilted.ginger. Everyday life, wearing a kilt :-)

cdorso. University administrator with an occasional c/d alter ego. Wears dresses / skirts at work and related events. Though not everything he wears works for me, there are many more hits than misses. Prolific poster, but been inactive over the last 18-months or so. Would love to meet this guy - seems like an interesting character!

dermannimkleid. Whereas others here go for the male footwear in conjunction with male tops, a skirt and tights, this guy also goes for female footwear (not unique, but maybe in the minority). I think this is great if you can get away with it from a shoe size / fitting pov.

chris_wears_boots_and_skirts. Some bold colours going on here :-)

mon_homme_en_jupe. Envious of the wife / partner participation here. Certainly some outfits here that I would like to recreate

newdandy21. Another fave, another person who hasn't posted in a good while (unfortunately). So many of his outfits that I'd love to recreate (but would definitely need to shed some lbs first)

the.chrisshill / chrishill2302. His style is not unique, but he carries it off very well. Looks much more suited to autumn / winter - will be interesting to see if he has a separate summer wardrobe.

marcdupont543. Full-on femme mode from what looks like a more mature guy - another one who is not trying to look like a 20-something. Prolific poster, modelling lots of dresses in more recent times. I like some of the stuff that he posted earlier in his Instagram journey.

gettingdressedwithbrad. Fairly new to the scene with a fixed presentation formula for teaching guys how to expand their wardrobe. Lots of thrifted kit.

markbryan911. I'm sure you are all aware of what a superstar he is, so no further description required :-)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:18 pm I'm still doing a lot of vicarious livin' through Instagram but I've largely moved over to a set of creators who are nearer my own age.
Hi Fran.
Just about time for you to come out into the real world then.
Don't let these guys fool you, they create nothing new whatsoever, they merely draw ideas from other sources and add the hype made possible by the internet and mass communication.
They don't have not earned your accolades any more than the average Joes around here.
Steve.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

A couple more on Instagram worth looking at:

man_in_skirt_and_heels - does what he says on the tin

karl_xs_ - at the younger end.

I also like the style of https://www.tumblr.com/ungendered-01 if you dare to brave Tumblr...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

You missed:

dermodemuth
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Thanks, both. Tumbler is a step too far into the realms of social meeedjya for me :-)

How could I miss, dermodemuth? In my defence, I follow around 200 likeminded souls, so there was always a chance I would miss one or two significant ones out :-) This guy is off the scale when it comes to style (and I mean that in a positive way). Definitely not parroting a traditional female look - he is happy to go for different styles from steampunk to Scottish to something that looks like it might have been in vogue in eastern Europe or maybe the wilds of the US 200 - 300 years ago. He is absolutely not afraid to mix styles within the same rig and to go for bold and clashing colours sometimes. He has so many different outfits - where he stores them all and how he pays for it is beyond me :-)

Man_in_skirts_and_heels is just about the polar opposite of dermodemuth in that he typically goes for collared tees and just above the knee denim and cargo skirts. In this respect he is very similar to what I wear around the house and his posts are certainly a good guide for future looks for me. That said, I've never been a fan of pumps and nor have I ever been drawn to tights in any colour other than black - this guy is happy in both.

I do follow karl_xs, but I would imagine that he is probably not of interest to most of the patrons of this cafe. There definitely seems to be a gay / nightclubbing vibe going on here (which is totally fine, just not my thing).
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Hi Fran.
Hi Steve

Getting there, slowly :-)

Don't let these guys fool you, they create nothing new whatsoever, they merely draw ideas from other sources and add the hype made possible by the internet and mass communication.
Sure, I think this applies to some people in social media who are just looking for clicks, responses etc. to (ultimately) drive their income. But I think there are also some people on the different channels who post because they want to share and / or record their life at that time for posterity.

They don't have not earned your accolades any more than the average Joes around here.
The two best threads on SkirtCafe (IMHO) are Coder's Outfits and The skirts of Skirtyscot, vol 2. Though I'm not in any way saying that they are the only worthwhile threads that document the threads of our fellow board members (see what I did there?), I think that social media gives an insight to what other guys (who are not regular contributors to SkirtCafe) are doing with skirting out there in the wider world.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:56 am
FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:18 pm I'm still doing a lot of vicarious livin' through Instagram but I've largely moved over to a set of creators who are nearer my own age.
Hi Fran.
Steve.
I wouldn't be so cynical. One thing that helped me along was seeing average guys posting to Instagram - not necessarily the bright flashy stars (Mark Bryan, and others with thousands of followers) as their outfits are often a bit extra and they draw attention because they are really pushing boundaries. They serve a different purpose - I think - to get the average joe thinking and questioning the status quo. There are others, as Fran has posted, that are just out there sharing their style. Perhaps they have ulterior motives trying to get follows, likes, etc... -> but being out there in the real world they demonstrate to people like us "hey, you can wear what you want". I relied on occasional searches on Instagram to buck up my spirit when I was hesitant or having second thoughts.

The other thing - guys - at least none I know - had a brotherly/fatherly figure or even friend to share clothing tips with. A lot of us don't have our own style, and need some reference to build off of. While we can look at how women put outfits together, that doesn't always work, and isn't necessarily in-line with how some of us want to appear.