Return of the dandy?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Return of the dandy?

Post by mishawakaskirt »

In a sort of way are some MIS a form of modern dandy?
I mean no insult, I know that term does carry some negative connotations in some parts of the world.
OUR fashion is certainly self made.
Google images of dandy.
This one below has it all high heeled shoes, tights, wig, puffy blouse like shirt. A garment that resembles a skirt, not to mention all in bright vivid colors.
All elements of what is now considered modern feminine wear.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LE5h2kmtnQx27q4s8

Thoughts men? Are we in a way? Feel free to post other great dandy pictures.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Return of the dandy?

Post by Sinned »

Wow, that one really does go for the jugular. Please take it away.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm: Looks like a French Court Jester :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 pm In a sort of way are some MIS a form of modern dandy?
I mean no insult, I know that term does carry some negative connotations in some parts of the world.
OUR fashion is certainly self made.
Google images of dandy.
This one below has it all high heeled shoes, tights, wig, puffy blouse like shirt. A garment that resembles a skirt, not to mention all in bright vivid colors.
All elements of what is now considered modern feminine wear.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LE5h2kmtnQx27q4s8

Thoughts men? Are we in a way? Feel free to post other great dandy pictures.
Is this the same as what you are referring to?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244601823491481051/
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oh my Oh my, a guy decides to go out on a limb and aren't we all getting our unmentionables in a twist.
OK, personally, that look is not for me either but neither is a lot of the stuff I see posted here in the Café.
Last time I checked a man in a skirt does not meet with general approval anyway so be whatever you want to be.
Just remember that you can always be a good little lamb and just wear the uniform dictated by the flock.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Well, if you are disappointed about going un-noticed in a skirt, here is an option.
Men wearing skirts is unfashionable enough. I think dandyism would be moreso in these days of macho-ism.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 amMen wearing skirts is unfashionable enough. I think dandyism would be moreso in these days of macho-ism.
I'm not sure about that. I've never gotten so much as a whiff of trouble when wearing my very fancy shirts with ruffles and lace -- and those with skirts.

It is possible to be over-the-top, but also much depends on venue and locale.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I am reminded of some of the lyrics in the late 1960s musical 'Hair'. I probably haven't got all the words right, but I recall something like this:-

I would just like to say that it is my conviction that the male's emergence from the drab camouflage into the gaudy plumage that is the birthright of his sex ......For truly that is the way things are in most species

If one looks at the animal/bird world, the drake is brightly coloured while the hen bird is a dull brown, and the peacock needs no other comments!

Certainly the 1960s started some males off on a journey into clothing and styling diversity that we see continuing here today. - Yes, I'm old enough to remember the 1960s!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FFA, no that's just old style Spanish dress in the days when they plundered South America. When I think about it what they did wan't pretty and they really were vicious invaders. Murder, plunder, rape, rob. Not nice.

trainspotter, I remember the sixties as well. A great time was had by all. That's precisely why my manner of dress has always been rather unorthodox.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The historical meaning of the word "dandy" referred to men who put particular effort into their appearance and had no qualms about adapting whatever garment or accessory added to the look they were creating, so yes, they wore a good number of items that had been designed for women.

Considering dresses, with hose, women's shoes and a full complement of jewelry is my go-to look, I'd say I've gone beyond Dandy to something quite different. But most of you haven't taken it to that extreme so I'd say certainly the more flamboyant, but tasteful amongst us would qualify as dandies.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 am The historical meaning of the word "dandy" referred to men who put particular effort into their appearance and had no qualms about adapting whatever garment or accessory added to the look they were creating, so yes, they wore a good number of items that had been designed for women.
With that definition in consideration, I'd have to say, I'm probably not a "dandy". Believe it or not... I don't really put a lot of thought into what I wear. I have hammered out a few elegant looks over the years that I employ when the need arises, but usually its just a simple skirt with a top, normally taking into consideration what lll be doing that day...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Myself, I identify closer to the Sapuers, or "Last Sape" Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Élégantes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Sape. Though I don't try to go overboard so much, and I have perhaps a stronger interest in functionality.