Manly dresses, girly dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Manly dresses, girly dresses

Post by Ralph »

I've been watching old DVDs of "Joan of Arcadia" this week, and several of the episodes feature flashbacks to the wreck that paralyzed her brother. He remembers arguing with his drunk friend over taking the keys and driving, but drunk friend wouldn't hear of it. He mocked Kevin's concern, to the point of lashing out "If you say 'keys' one more time, I'm gonna buy you a sundress!"

The implication is obvious: concern about the safety of drunk driving is a sign of weakness, which in turn is a sign of effeminacy.

What struck me was the oddly specific "sundress", as though to say "Sure, if you wear some other dress that's cool but a SUNDRESS? That's just wrong, dude."

I'm sure that's not how the writers intended it, but that's how it sounded to me. For the record, there are 8 sundresses hanging in my closet now for these hot summer months, so I guess it's OK for me to also find drunk driving irresponsible and dangerous.
Ralph!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Manly dresses, girly dresses

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ralph,
I am guessing that this is a soap opera?
My take on the statement would be that he is turning into a nagging old woman rather than a comparative evaluation of dress styles,
Just a guess as I have never watched the programme.
Steve,
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I remember when my little sister had a sun dress, and couldn't understand why I wasn't allowed to have one :(
65 years later I still don't understand why it was OK for sis, but not for me.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Steve, "Joan of Arcadia" was a comedy/drama ("dramedy"?) a decade or two ago with the premise that God decided to manifest itself to an insecure teenager in high school, taking the George Burns route of appearing as a variety of generic, nonthreatening human beings. You might bounce from one scene in which Joan is awkwardly trying to explain why she was arguing with an old man in a walker (really God, but of course nobody else knows that) to another scene in which her father is investigating a horrible murder scene. Something for everyone, a comedy/tragedy tonight.

Part of the backstory involves her older brother who, as I mentioned, got into a car with his very drunk friend who proceeded to wreck the car, nearly killing the both of them. I only brought it up because of the odd comment regarding sundresses.

Thinking back on it, that scene may have inspired me when I first watched it 10-15 years ago. Up to that point, I did not own a sundress but now I have a closet full of them for days when it's just too hot for anything with sleeves.
Ralph!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Nice dress Ralph.

And it looks good on you!

Now, will you please unblur your face. Remember, you can't get fired for wearing dresses on the job let alone on your own time.

On the next sunny day, we expect to see you in it, out in public with photographic evidence that includes a clear representation of your face. Anything less and you're a ... coward. (I mean this in the most friendly way possible.)
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.