My kaftan

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

My kaftan

Post by Freedomforall »

Today was the first day I wore my kaftan out. We went to the grocery store. I was surprised that I had less odd looks wearing it than with a skirt. I have been letting my hair grow as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My kaftan

Post by Faldaguy »

Nice look, simple design -- the type I've wondered might actually make a one piece outfit an attractive option -- did you get the top fitted, or just get a lucky find/source that works? All the talk of dress hassles for male bodies has kept me away, but having spent some years in Hawaii the muumuu has made me speculate that there might be some simple options that could work. It is so simple that I think I can see why it got no more comments/looks than a skirt -- just looks like practical casual wear.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I purchased it from Ebay. Incerun made it and they did a great job. I have several items made by them. Their sizing seems to be accurate. I always have problem finding things to fit as my shoulders are wide and my waist is 32 inches. I ordered the XL and it fits fine for me. I found the same material used for womens dresses on other sites. You could probably search the name of this one and find it on other sites like Wish as well. I would make sure that Incerun is the designer though. Thank you for the compliments! Here is the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Womens-Vi ... 2749.l2649
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi FFA

Great look and the print/weave options are pretty endless too.
There was a member a while back who used to have a fairly spectacular take on kaftans. If my memory serves correctly, his name was Ron.
As a dress, the main advantage of the kaftan is the actual lack of shaping. Perfect for any body shape or gender in my opinion.
Tee shirt dresses are probably the nearest modern western design equivalent. I have a plain grey one which is real good in hot weather which we don't see too often in my part of the world.
Kaftans, I may revisit as they were a fashion item from my youth in the seventies.
Thanks.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: sewing section

Post by Grok »

There is a simple version of a kaftan that you can make yourself.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I usually don't like dresses for men, but I must admit that this one is very good! With a touch of exotism, it has some charm :)
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:11 pm I usually don't like dresses for men, but I must admit that this one is very good! With a touch of exotism, it has some charm :)
Hey thank you. I sure appreciate it. I usually have a taste for the exotic.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

STEVIE wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 am Hi FFA

Great look and the print/weave options are pretty endless too.
There was a member a while back who used to have a fairly spectacular take on kaftans. If my memory serves correctly, his name was Ron.
As a dress, the main advantage of the kaftan is the actual lack of shaping. Perfect for any body shape or gender in my opinion.
Tee shirt dresses are probably the nearest modern western design equivalent. I have a plain grey one which is real good in hot weather which we don't see too often in my part of the world.
Kaftans, I may revisit as they were a fashion item from my youth in the seventies.
Thanks.
Steve.
I really appreciate the compliments. The weather here has turned very hot. It seems we had no real in between temperatures. I found this outfit to be very comfortable.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pmThe weather here has turned very hot. It seems we had no real in between temperatures. I found this outfit to be very comfortable.
Long flowing garments, especially light-coloured ones, are perfect for hot environments. One winds up with his own micro-climate where the body actually works as designed rather than fighting with what one is garbed in.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hey, that looks pretty cool! Good luck on the lengthening of the hair too!

Interesting that you chose to wear your caftan out yesterday, as I too started to wear my old ritual robe just for the hell of it. It's "caftan like", though one quick run down to the far back yard to dump my dish water indicated that it was just too warm out for the robe. Several years ago such a garment would have been a welcome change from stuffy trousers, but today with my closet full of light and flowy skirts, even a moderately heavy robe is just too hot for my liking.

Curiously though, the robe doesn't have very good insulating qualities, so it's not something I grab in the winter either. I'm not sure what the fabric is, it doesn't feel like pure polyester, yet it doesn't feel soft enough to be cotton... whatever it is, it doesn't seem suitable for any time of year... but I digress.

Anyway, it does my heart good to know there's someone like you running around in Tennessee.. spreading men's freedom all around!

:hooray:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, Ron was an unusual person and a great fan of kaftans - he sported some really good garments. Wonder what happened to him? I guess that there wasn't sufficient interest here in kaftans to keep him contributing.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm Yes, Ron was an unusual person and a great fan of kaftans - he sported some really good garments. Wonder what happened to him? I guess that there wasn't sufficient interest here in kaftans to keep him contributing.

He's still active on Flickr. I recently re-followed him on my new account and he reciprocated the follow. He so has recent photos up.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Nice kaftan, FFA. Good pattern and it looks very comfortable.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

skirtyscot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:04 pm Nice kaftan, FFA. Good pattern and it looks very comfortable.
Thank you!
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

been a while since I last checked in but I am still around
and still wearing caftans