Interesting article about the origin of Mary Jane shoes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting article about the origin of Mary Jane shoes

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 pm
Sinned wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:41 am So that's another fashion item that the women have stolen from us!
Well... I wouldn't say women "stole it", women, as is normally the case generally don't get all hung up sharing in our styles.

Men are the ones who get all weird about this stuff... "Fragile male ego" is practically a cliche.
I have to disagree slightly with this. Although I do tend to find women more accepting of me in a skirt, there are exceptions to this. Some women are completely against it. I have heard statement like, "That is womens clothing."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:07 am
Sinned wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:41 am So that's another fashion item that the women have stolen from us!
Well... I wouldn't say women "stole it", women, as is normally the case generally don't get all hung up sharing in our styles.

Men are the ones who get all weird about this stuff... "Fragile male ego" is practically a cliche.
I have to disagree slightly with this. Although I do tend to find women more accepting of me in a skirt, there are exceptions to this. Some women are completely against it. I have heard statement like, "That is womens clothing."
Well... I suppose that's true, but most women don't seem to be jarred by my appearance. In fact most if the flack I get for wearing "womens" clothes comes from men.

On average, I maintain that men are their own worst enemy.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 am
Freedomforall wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:07 am

Well... I suppose that's true, but most women don't seem to be jarred by my appearance. In fact most if the flack I get for wearing "womens" clothes comes from men.

On average, I maintain that men are their own worst enemy.
I definitely agree with that!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I hope I don't step on toes but a few times the word flack is used when it was about something bad coming over you. I think the German abbrevation for FliegerAbwehrKanone or Flak is meant.

Today, in the Netherlands, the liberation is celebrated. 75 years ago the Germans, who occupied the Netherlands, surrendered. I found it a fitting moment to make the remark.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Actually BL, there are two separate words - flack and flak. Flack really means "to publicise or promote" so is used in the sense of "getting flack", whereas flak is what you say, anti-aircraft fire.

Just sayin'.

Over here we will be celebrating VE day. Well, we will if we ever get out of lockdown. The good, or bad, news depending on which way you look at it, is that I may be back to work by 18th May. But being a "vulnerable" person it may be a bit longer for me. We'll see.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I didn't realize that Mary Jane applied to all shoes with a strap that goes across the instep.

For what it's worth, the pair of shoes that I have gotten the most compliments for is the wing-tip, T-strap pumps by Naturalizer that I'm wearing with my interview suit in my most recent photos (see "Hi Ho, Hi Ho It's Off to Work I Go").

So I take back all of the derogatory things I've said about Mary Janes.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

There used to be a forum, looking very much like Skirtcafe, devoted
to "Mary Janes" and other unisex footwear such as saddle shoes and
English school sandals.
I do hope that member is still active.
Strap shoes like these have been associated with men and boys for centuries,
including Columbus, George III, George Washington, Ben Franklin, JFK Jr.,
the two-year old Franklin D. Roosevelt, and all juvenile males of the royal family.
And, of course, Pinocchio, Buster Brown, and Christopher Robin.
We all agree, I'm sure, that there is nothing inherently masculine or
feminine about skirts. There is likewise nothing inherently masculine
or feminine about the shoes given the inappropriate name of "Mary Jane."
When someone asks me about my Himmerlands, I sometimes reply
"I call them my Christopher Robins."
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Back when I went to lots of meetings in Edinburgh, there was a young woman in one group about 6ft tall with feet as large as mine. She often wore a white Dr Marten Mary Jane that I would have like to try. I see DM no longer make them. A pity.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, well, I learned something new today. While I currently don't have any Mary Janes myself, I find them an interesting style.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

The closest thing to wearing Mary Jane shoes that I have tried are Crocs, which I wear all the time. They are very comfortable and I can wear them in wet environments with no problem. I have wide flat feet and wear size 10 W shoes. I rarely wear anything else except hiking boots. I have dressier shoes for those occasions where I need to be more formal.