Wearing high heels

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing high heels

Post by new2skirts »

nzfreestyler wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 am You could get a pump with a block heel. They are quite trendy at the moment too!
The main upside to the stiletto heels is that your shoe is so light on your feet, and if you wear heels all the time you learn that the stiletto heel style (without platforms) are nicest to wear in a lot of real-situations (like sloping pavements etc) that always present a challenge to high heel wearers.
I see too many women in heels walking like a newborn wildebeest that's staggered to it's feet after birth, and fear I'd walk the same :mrgreen: I also don't want to bust my ankle - as UK streets are notoriously uneven. Taking a drop and having the contents of my handbag spill onto the pavement (sidewalk) would be so embarrassing, and I wouldn't get helped to the street as some women would :oops:

I did take a look at some block heel pumps and saw this gorgeous pair
bloc_heel.jpg
which I would love to buy if they were cheaper :blue: £220! I have expensive taste.
Saw this cute Prada skirt too
prada_sk.jpg
but that cost even more at £450 :shock:

It's back to ebay for now... I need some blouses this year and a decent bag :D
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi new2skirts,

how about a pump the likes of this?

the heel is very on-trend and it has the electroplating details inside the heel - which is a nice feature to have on a chunkier heel - one that obviously isn't woth it on a stiletto because the heel is too small to be noticed. And th toe is not too pointy.

or the same version with a squarer heel - and also a rounded toe?
Image Image

or go for a classic pump in a lower stiletto?

or perhaps medium heel?

I would recommend a shoe with the heel & body the same tone - as it is more versatile a shoe. It can be formal as well as casual - whereas a split tone shoe and stacked heels are more casual.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

new2skirts wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm I see too many women in heels walking like a newborn wildebeest that's staggered to it's feet after birth, and fear I'd walk the same :mrgreen: I also don't want to bust my ankle - as UK streets are notoriously uneven. Taking a drop and having the contents of my handbag spill onto the pavement (sidewalk) would be so embarrassing, and I wouldn't get helped to the street as some women would
This is why you have to consider where you are going to be walking and if you can handle the terrain with the heels you are wearing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

phathack wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:55 pm
new2skirts wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pmI see too many women in heels walking like a newborn wildebeest that's staggered to it's feet after birth, and fear I'd walk the same :mrgreen: I also don't want to bust my ankle - as UK streets are notoriously uneven. Taking a drop and having the contents of my handbag spill onto the pavement (sidewalk) would be so embarrassing, and I wouldn't get helped to the street as some women would
This is why you have to consider where you are going to be walking and if you can handle the terrain with the heels you are wearing.
That's also the big reason why men's heels have always been quite distinct from women's heels. Men are expected to be "creatures of action", and it's really hard to do that whilst wearing a pair of "f**k-me pumps". I don't even want to contemplate the thought of traversing a section of cobblestone in spikes; that's nasty enough in non-slip-soled block heels. The same thing goes for "nosebleed heels" where the angle-of-attack of the foot is more than about 25-to-30 degrees.

I'm not saying, "Don't wear them", I'm just pointing out some of the pitfalls of the extreme designs.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm That's also the big reason why men's heels have always been quite distinct from women's heels. Men are expected to be "creatures of action", and it's really hard to do that whilst wearing a pair of "f**k-me pumps". I don't even want to contemplate the thought of traversing a section of cobblestone in spikes.
Its not that hard - if you wear high heels a lot it becomes quite ok. Its no harder for me in my higher heels than in a flat - sure some surfaces are a nuisance, but never impossible or dangerous - just different and it does become natural if you do it a lot.
crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm The same thing goes for "nosebleed heels" where the angle-of-attack of the foot is more than about 25-to-30 degrees.
Now the big heels are going to be a little harder to balance forwards backwards. I can wear heels where my foot is vertical from my toes - they are like 5 inches - and thats on my feet for hours. But yes - a tall heel on sideways cambers, and going down hills in the tall heels is awkward. Other than that they are also fine if you are experienced in heels.

It does come down to wearing and wearing and wearing high heels....

just my thoughts.
cheers
NZF
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
phathack wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:55 pm
new2skirts wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pmI see too many women in heels walking like a newborn wildebeest that's staggered to it's feet after birth, and fear I'd walk the same :mrgreen: I also don't want to bust my ankle - as UK streets are notoriously uneven. Taking a drop and having the contents of my handbag spill onto the pavement (sidewalk) would be so embarrassing, and I wouldn't get helped to the street as some women would
That's also the big reason why men's heels have always been quite distinct from women's heels. Men are expected to be "creatures of action", and it's really hard to do that whilst wearing a pair of "f**k-me pumps". I don't even want to contemplate the thought of traversing a section of cobblestone in spikes; that's nasty enough in non-slip-soled block heels. The same thing goes for "nosebleed heels" where the angle-of-attack of the foot is more than about 25-to-30 degrees.

I'm not saying, "Don't wear them", I'm just pointing out some of the pitfalls of the extreme designs.
I think I will tread carefully - pun intended :mrgreen: the block heel booties are comfy, though I might buy pumps with a more modest heel, like 3" before any "f**k-me pumps" are worn. Plus, for work, looking "sexy" is not the objective, and would be a distraction. I got in enough trouble a while ago with a skirt slit that showed a little too much, so I think modest black or grey midi skirts, perhaps shorter skirts (no less than 21 inch) in summer, while I master walking in towering heels in my spare time. Women's sneakers are next on my list, as other women wear these, and keep their pumps in a drawer at the office. Court shoes would suit me, and a pinstripe skirt suit next.

I hear that prolonged heel wearing isn't ideal for posture or joints, and crossing legs too much(I am guilty of this) can cause varicose veins, which would condemn me to a life of dark tights :cry: :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

don't worry too much about prolonged wearing. I live in high heels and while it does have an effect in that flats become uncomfortable - other than this I report no negative side effects of wearing heels all day.

cheers
NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I would say that the definition of prolonged wearing depends upon the individual. For me, that's around the four or five hours I spend at the King of Prussia Mall, but that features a mix of time spent walking, standing and sitting. Also, for those lengthy outings, I rarely, if ever exceed three inches in heel height and often opt for block heels as comfort is my watchword when out and about. Again, it's all about the individual.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I wear heels all day every day. I don't wear heels at home, but other than that I'm happy in some big heels for as long as required.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

I wear heels 9cm / 3.543307 inch things, only at Christmas dinners and so. But hey, I'm a old girl now. Love to see guys wearing heels and skirts.

You all look lovely boys. Wear what what you like, what others think of it is they're problem.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I've worn high heels- 2.5 inch pumps. The trick to buying heels is selecting shoes that are flexible. They have to bend. I like the way my body walks in them and they make me feel sexy.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi Brad,

thats exactly what high heels are about! Its a form of self confidence - My heels give me a confidence boost, I feel better in high heels.

NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

And, more importantly, wearing heels is a hell of a lot of fun! :D
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

oh yes JeffB. They can be!

what do you think of these new ones I've finally managed to get my hands on? I've been after an exotic for a while (like 2-3 yrs for this particular shoe style), I have this shoe in regular leather & patents but not the exotics. This is the Python version. They should be pretty comfy cause my others in this style are. A shoe in this kind of upper is more versatile because it would be great with jeans (albeit I don't wear jeans much at all) - but with denim and colours, its quite neutral toned, and it can be both casual and dressy.

Image Image

they just arrived this morning (rather naughty of me I bought them on the internet and bypassed the local retailer), Now I just have to pair them with something nice and I can wear them out.

NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

In a word....WOW! It’s not every day I see snakeskin, and those pumps are absolutely gorgeous! In fact, they’re too beautiful to pair with jeans, shoes like those beg to be worn with a skirt, perhaps a tight leather skirt or a bodycon dress, both of which I’m sure you could make work.